Old 01-08-2006   #1
New on Forum

Best way to connect the DVD writer (Master/Slave - Primary/Secondary)

Hi!

I'm going to purchase a new DVD Writer tomorrow (ASUS 1608P3S to be exact) and I was wondering which way I should connect the writer to my PC.

I have two HDDs and they are connected to the primary IDE channel and my old (and disfunctional ) DVD writer is connected to secondary IDE channel as master. I am planning to connect the new one as secondary master and connect the old one as slave in the secondary IDE channel. Would this cause any problems.

And another little question; The primary IDE Channel slot is lightblue on my mother board. What does this mean? Does it have anything to do with 80pin cables ?

Thank you for your help
cout7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #2
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

Re: Best way to connect the DVD writer (Master/Slave - Primary/Secondary)

Welcome to CDF

That setup should be fine - I have my HDD as Pri. Master, and my two burners as Master and Slave on the Secondary IDE.

I don't do on-the-fly copying, so the above works well for me.

Not too sure about the colour of the Pri. IDE socket thing, both mine are blue (I think).

How to delete your upper and lower filters : How to check/enable DMA by Womble

Click here to join MyCE.com and be part of our friendly community!

Smile...people will wonder what you're up to
Arachne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #3
MyCE Resident

Blue connector = 80 pin cable.
I love life...Yeah, I'm sad, but at the same time, I'm really happy that something could make me feel that sad. It's like...It makes me feel alive, you know. It makes me feel human. The only way I could feel this sad now is if I felt something really good before. So I have to take the bad with the good. So I guess what I'm feeling is like a beautiful sadness.

Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.

The most important things are the hardest to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them-words shrink things that seemed limitless when in your head to no more than living size when they're brought out. But it's more than that, isn't it? The most important things lie close to wherever your secret heart is buried, like landmarks to a treasure your enemies would love to steal away. And you may make revelations that cost you dearly only to have people look at you in a funny way, not understanding what you've said at all, or why you thought it was so important that you almost cried while saying it. That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller but for the want of an understanding ear. - Stephen King, intro to "The Body."
jhtalisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #4
Senior Moderator, Editor and Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtalisman
Blue connector = 80 pin cable.
If I'm not wrong, all IDE cables have 40 pin, but some have 80 wires.
geno888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #5
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by geno888
If I'm not wrong, all IDE cables have 40 pin, but some have 80 wires.
That's what I meant. Thanks for the correction.
I love life...Yeah, I'm sad, but at the same time, I'm really happy that something could make me feel that sad. It's like...It makes me feel alive, you know. It makes me feel human. The only way I could feel this sad now is if I felt something really good before. So I have to take the bad with the good. So I guess what I'm feeling is like a beautiful sadness.

Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.

The most important things are the hardest to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them-words shrink things that seemed limitless when in your head to no more than living size when they're brought out. But it's more than that, isn't it? The most important things lie close to wherever your secret heart is buried, like landmarks to a treasure your enemies would love to steal away. And you may make revelations that cost you dearly only to have people look at you in a funny way, not understanding what you've said at all, or why you thought it was so important that you almost cried while saying it. That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller but for the want of an understanding ear. - Stephen King, intro to "The Body."
jhtalisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #6
Senior Moderator, Editor and Guru

Sometimes I'm still not sure to write correct words (and I'm too lazy to check in dictionary )
geno888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #7
New on Forum

Thank you all for replying ; ))

I'll update after installing the writer....
cout7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #8
MyCE Resident

All of the 40 pin 80 wire IDE cables I have are layed out as follows

blue connector goes to MOBO
grey connector (female side) is in the middle
black connector (female side) is on the end

Not registered - Go register to use the forums to their fullest Click here
jm1647 is offline   Reply With Quote