Old 27-11-2011   #1
MyCE Member

Anything better than Spybot Search & Destroy ?

hey,

i use avast anti virus and i like its ease of use and it works well for me , i have also been using Spybot searcch & destroy for years but recently avast has been poping up that it has detected teatimer is a threat ,

so i uninstalled Spybot, and i would like to know is there a better program i can use rather than spybot , i want a free program and i am not an expert in all the settings , so i dont want anything too complicated .

i am running win xp sp3 .

thanks .
ghosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011   #2
Administrator

Re: Anything better than Spybot Search & Destroy ?

MalwareBytes. http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

The free version works fine. Just do a manual scan from time to time.

And I prefer Microsoft Security Essentials over Avast. It is uninstrusive and scans for spyware as well as virus infections and trojans.
Kerry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011   #3
Senior Moderator

+1 what Kerry ^ said.

It's been at least 2 years, 5 months, 6 days, 11 hours, 52 minutes and 35 36 37 seconds since I had a sig...
(but who's counting?)
olyteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011   #4
MyCE Senior Member

Windows XP is old, but I don't believe in any extra Utility Programs. Your OS is up to date, so all you need is a good Anti-Virus. Avast is good, I put it on all my Client's computers. The paid Professional has Malware protection. A Lean Clean Machine is the Best!
alchav21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011   #5
MyCE Resident Old Fart

Location: Diehard Old CDFreak Lurking In The Back Of Your Mind

Yo-

Kerrys recommendations of M$ Security Essentials and Malwarebytes is the best overall 'free' solution IMO2.

I personally use a combination of BitDefender Internet Security 2012 - M$ Security Essentials and SuperAntiSpyware for my defense system on all my computers-eh.

(Y) <- - - (a tribute to *someone*)

Brayden & Lil Burnits Proud Cyber Grampie - 'CERCA, TROVA' - 'NOVUS ORDO SECLORUM'

Work Computer = ZT Systems i7-2600 CPU w/32GB DDR3-1333 G. Skill Ripjaws X RAM/ Win7 Pro-sp1 /Crucial M500 480GB SSD @ SATA3 /Western Digital VelociRaptor 500GB Workstation HDD @ SATA3 /Corsair 650 watt PSU /Pioneer BDR-2207 as BD burner /Lite-On iHBS-112-04 as Reader/Ripper and BD Disc Quality Tester /Dell 27 inch S-IPS monitor w/LED backlight /XFX Radeon HD6870 w/2GB GDDR5RAM /Ashampoo Burning Studio 2012 /DVDFab 9

Burning Computer = HP xw8400 workstation w/ Two Xeon 5160, dual core, 3.0 mhz CPU's w/ 16gb PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM /Win7 Pro-sp1 /Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD /Western Digital Caviar Black 640gb w/64mb cache HDD /Corsair 850 watt psu / Optiarc AD-5280S-CB-PLUS w/v1.Z7 fw as Disc Burner and Disc Quality Tester /Optiarc AD-5280S-CB-PLUS w/v1.Z7 fw as Disc Reader/Ripper /ATi Radeon HD 5770 w/1gb GDDR5 Ram Videocard /HP 24" LCD /Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 /DVDFab 9

On The Shelf: (1) Benq 1640, (1)BenQ 1640 @EW168, Pioneer (2) 115D, (3) Optiarc 7200A, Optiarc 7260A, Asus DRW-24b1ST
bigmike7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011   #6
MyCE Member

ok thanks for all the help ill try what kerry said . i have a well maintained PC and would like to keep it like that .

thanks again
ghosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011   #7
MyCE Resident

Use an state of the art viruskiller and you can forget spybot....

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011   #8
Top Referrer

ESET NOD32 Smart Security works perfectly for me. Very rarely do I get nagged about anything legit. Costs about $50 a year. Switched from BitDefender due to problems when Windows 7 first came out - I am sure the compatibility issues have been fixed by now though.

Avira AntiVirus + ZoneAlarm Firewall is a great free option.

Assuming that you have a legit copy of Windows then Microsoft Security Essentials + Windows Firewall should be fine. The stigma surrounding Windows Firewall started with the XP version (which was awful)... the newer versions are actually fine. I would however suggest the free version of Windows7FirewallControl, which gives greater control over allowed/blocked applications. Doing this has the benefit of having to install the very minimum of additional software. Far too often I see people with multiple anti-virus/firewalls/scanners installed. As chef said, scanners like Spybot Search & Destory and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware really aren't needed... a virus-scanner should stop anything dangerous before it gets in - and can do a scan of your drives if you are worried something is already on there.

- Ben