Old 29-02-2008   #1
MyCE Senior Member

Whats CMC MAG AM3 media like?

Hi, I've got a spindle of TDK -R 16x media here and it's mid code is CMC-mag AM3. I was just wondering what others think of this media, is it generally ok? The scans I've done so far on this pack are slightly ordinary.
uart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008   #2
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

Re: Whats CMC MAG AM3 media like?

I personally like it, certainly a lot more than M01.

No playback problems on any of the brands of AM3 I've used (TDK, Memorex, Inifiniti).

They don't always scan beautifully, but I like it. Although I do tend to limit burn speed to 8x for best results.

Edit: out of curiosity, what burner(s) are you using?

How to delete your upper and lower filters : How to check/enable DMA by Womble

Click here to join MyCE.com and be part of our friendly community!

Smile...people will wonder what you're up to
Arachne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008   #3
MyCE Senior Member

Right now I'm testing them on a Pioneer 112D and they're not too bad on this drive. I've seen better scans but as long as they're fairly stable over time I'll be happy.

My friend however was trying to burn them on a Sony AW-G170A and the results were very poor. I'm thinking it may just be an issue with that burner. I really know very little about that Sony model, but from the limited tests that I've done it does seem to prefer DVD+R media over DVD-R.
Old 29-02-2008   #4

Ah - I've tried them on my Pioneer 115d, and while as you say I've seen better scans, playback was good.

My LG E10N and Sammy SH-S182D seem to like them as well. Mind you, my Sammy will burn pretty much anything I throw at it with OK results, hehe.

Hopefully being CMC media, stability won't be a problem, but of course that remains to be seen at this stage

Old 01-03-2008   #5
MyCE Resident

While CMC MAG AM3 is not on TY or Verbatim levels it can be bad to decent to good media.
I guess it really all depends on what burner and speed you're using to burn them with on how
good they will turn out. I use them time from time with all of my Samsung SH203B's but never
with any of my Liteon drives because thats a big no,no. The Samsung drives do a decent
job of burning them while the Liteon drives I have absolutely hate them and do a crappy job
on burning them. Like Arachne was saying they do not always scan beautifully even with
the Samsung burns but playback has never been a problem with them as long as I keep them
out of the Liteon burners.

Main system burners
1 ASUS DRW-24B1LT cross flashed To Lite-On iHAS624 in external enclosure
1 Liteon iHAS 124-04B true iHAS124-04 Liteon drive
1 Liteon iHAS 524-98A true iHAS-524 Liteon drive
1 ASUS DRW-24B1LT cross flashed To Lite-On iHAS424
1 ASUS DRW-24B1LT cross flashed To Lite-On iHAS324
1 Samsung S203B

Secondary system
1 Samsung S203B
1 Liteon 20A1S
1 Liteon 160P6S

System Specs
getit29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #6
Senior Moderator

I have a batch that is good up to a point...to burn the full capacity without an failed burn or to ensure that data at the end of the disc is recoverable, 6x is required. They scan well enough, though, so I'm not going to complain too much.

Welcome to The Club! Need help? Just ask! Then be sure to stick around, have a chat, help some folks out, chew on some knowledge, and help make Myce a better place.

You might need these search tools: Site Search ||| Forum Search ||| Google (be sure to append site:myce.com to find content from this site)

Forum FAQ ||| Join us! Register now! ||| List of moderators at Myce
Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #7
Retired Senior Moderator and Senior Reviewer

I have had a few Staples spindles of CMC MAG AM3 that didn't burn real hot on any of my burners until my new Lite-on LH-20A1S.

They really are good discs, playability on Standalones has been excellent for me.

Here is a 16x burn, finally found a burner that likes these..
Attached Images

MegaDETH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #8
MyCE Resident

Alrighty here is one of my CMC MAG AM3 burns on the S203B that I just done a few minutes ago.
I scanned it on the S203B and then the same disc scanned on the Liteon 160P6S for comparison
and to get jitter levels on it.
Attached Images

Main system burners
1 ASUS DRW-24B1LT cross flashed To Lite-On iHAS624 in external enclosure
1 Liteon iHAS 124-04B true iHAS124-04 Liteon drive
1 Liteon iHAS 524-98A true iHAS-524 Liteon drive
1 ASUS DRW-24B1LT cross flashed To Lite-On iHAS424
1 ASUS DRW-24B1LT cross flashed To Lite-On iHAS324
1 Samsung S203B

Secondary system
1 Samsung S203B
1 Liteon 20A1S
1 Liteon 160P6S

System Specs
getit29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #9
MyCE Senior Member

I'll post some of my scans. Please note that these are made on my Pioneer 112D as I don't currently own any recognized good scanning drives. When looking at these pioneer scans just ignore the PIE and concentrate on the PIF. When I used to have a liteon I found the total PIF gives good correlation with scans from the pioneer so while some may disagree I do trust these scans, at least in terms of relative PIF numbers

1. The first scan is a reference point for what is a reasonably good scan on this drive. It's GSC003 media which always burns very well on the 112D.

2. The second scan is one of these TDK CMC AM3's burnt on my friends Sony AW 170A. She's was having playback issues with some of these discs which is why I took this one for a scan. Actually it wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be, it's certainly not good but many players would accommodate that error level and still play without glitches. Anyway her home player may not be the best either because some of these discs are giving playback hiccups.

3. The third scan shows one of these TDK CMC AM3's (from same spindle) burnt on my pioneer 112D. Not all that great, but still an improvement on those burnt by the Sony.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2008   #10
New on Forum

Thanks for all the valuable data, I just bought a spindle of TDK dvd-r's. I looked up media code CMC MAG AM3 and I was disappointed to see TDK outsourcing to them as I had heard some really bad stories about cmc mag media being garbage 4th class at best.
hunter52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter52 View Post
Thanks for all the valuable data, I just bought a spindle of TDK dvd-r's. I looked up media code CMC MAG AM3 and I was disappointed to see TDK outsourcing to them as I had heard some really bad stories about cmc mag media being garbage 4th class at best.
Welcome to the forum

I wouldn't rate CMC as garbage or 4th class...though their 16x DVD+R (CMC MAG M01) leaves a lot to be desired.

But that still leave 8x - and +R, and 16x -R that's great under good brands (HP, Infiniti, TDK etc)

Old 12-06-2008   #12
MyCE Resident

Theres my scans knocking about somewhere of cmc mag am3

EDIT: Found it http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/cmc-mag-am3-226671/
marcus_667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008   #13
Senior Moderator

I have some very workable TDK-branded CMC MAG M01 and CMC MAG AM3. I agree with Arachne, though. CMC can have good/great media, so don't worry about it unless you have bad results or you have a brand known to sell B grade or worse media.

Welcome to The Club! Need help? Just ask! Then be sure to stick around, have a chat, help some folks out, chew on some knowledge, and help make Myce a better place.

You might need these search tools: Site Search ||| Forum Search ||| Google (be sure to append site:myce.com to find content from this site)

Old 12-06-2008   #14
MyCE Resident

Quote:
4th class at best.
I'm pretty sure that I know where this comes from. I can tell you that your source for this info is a untrustable (because outdated) source. CMC DVDR production was crap 5 years ago, things have changed, and dramatically so. And the support for CMC in burners, which also had a great responsibility in the bad results people experienced, has also improved much.

Albert summed it up nicely. If you buy a reputable brand (TDK, HP..) and it's actually CMC inside, no worries. Though the 16X +R can be tricky, so it's better to stick with -R with these outsourcing brands (TDK is mostly outsourcing now).

I'll soon report about my HP-branded AM3s, BTW.
Old 12-06-2008   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert View Post
...CMC can have good/great media, so don't worry about it unless you have bad results or you have a brand known to sell B grade or worse media.
Absolutely

Old 14-06-2008   #16
CD Freaks Member

A grade M01s are actually very good, better or comparable to the AM3 scans posted by MegaDETH and getit29. (similarly good results to A grade E01!)

It is interesting that you guys have mostly seen only junk M01s, whereas I have only seen junk AM3 - so we have opposite perceptions.

Scans - one of the better AM3s, one of the worst and one of the M01 scans that I could actually find. The AM3s were from a 20A1L @ 8x (pioneer burns were worse) and the M01, from a 212 @8x (actual burn date was start of 2007, reburn of old dvd image).

Mediatek chipset scans of the AM3s were similarly nasty, although with around half the reported PIF total.
Attached Images

Architectonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008   #17
Senior Moderator

The better of the CMC MAG AM3 scans I've posted [see the posts for details]:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/2035409-post1183.html
http://club.cdfreaks.com/1992186-post175.html

The worse scans of CMC MAG AM3 I've posted [see the posts for details]:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/1994414-post223.html
http://club.cdfreaks.com/1993019-post190.html

EDIT: and an over sped, TDK-branded CMC MAG AM3 at 18x: http://club.cdfreaks.com/2077128-post1252.html

Notice that the TDK branded discs were the only discs that were written above 8x. The others were written at 8x or less. Drive used in all scans is a LiteOn LH-20A1P, but had been crossflashed to DH20A4P for most of the burns.

Old 14-06-2008   #18
MyCE Resident

@Architectonic: would be interesting to know which brand are your discs.
Old 14-06-2008   #19
CD Freaks Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francksoy View Post
@Architectonic: would be interesting to know which brand are your discs.
As marked on the images, the AM3s were LG branded (spindle of 50, those are two different discs), the M01 was Imation branded (in jewel case). But the AM3s of a few other brands were almost as nasty (HP and a few others I can't remember, when I scanned a few discs from friends).
Old 14-06-2008   #20
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
the AM3s were LG branded (spindle of 50, those are two different discs), the M01 was Imation branded (in jewel case). But the AM3s of a few other brands were almost as nasty (HP and a few others I can't remember, when I scanned a few discs from friends).
Thanks. I'm extremely surprised that Imation branded M01 turned out better than LG branded AM3. I guess it would surprise some others as well.
Quote:
As marked on the images
Even with you telling me, I had a hard time finding what you were referring to! This is the place for the disc label, not the brand, so I never look at it when looking at scans posted!
Old 18-06-2008   #21
New on Forum

@architectonic
Thanks for the scans. This is very hard to compare though as you are using different burners each time liteon vs benq.
hunter52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008   #22
MyCE Resident

Quote:
...I had heard some really bad stories about cmc mag media being garbage 4th class at best.
You heard wrong. The people who trash CMC blindly don't have a clue as to what they are talking about.
negritude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #23
CD Freaks Member

Quote:
@architectonic
Thanks for the scans. This is very hard to compare though as you are using different burners each time liteon vs benq.
The discs were scanned at different times. Besides the 8ecc vs 1ecc difference, assume the total PIF of the M01s, when scanned on the BenQ would be around 1.5-2x that of the Lite-on scan. Those AM3s scan nasty on the Lite-on too, but again, with around half the PIF total.

These discs were sourced in Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by negritude View Post
You heard wrong. The people who trash CMC blindly don't have a clue as to what they are talking about.
I would rate them as a 2nd tier manufacturer in general, simply because their quality varies greatly (even when making MCC004, TTH02 etc).
Old 30-06-2009   #24
New on Forum

Well ancient thread or not, thank you folks for posting this info and the scans as I just got a box of these discs and was wondering what this mediacode is like.
Cheers.
FaeGiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #25
CD Freaks Rookie

are maxell 16X CMC AM3 known to be good or bad quality disks?

thx
blade2007 is offline   Reply With Quote