Old 03-03-2006   #1
New on Forum

What does 16x, 8x and 4x mean exactly?

are these writing or burning speeds on the dvd?..which one is better? the higher the number or lower?
Valeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006   #2
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

Re: What does 16x, 8x and 4x mean exactly?

They're the speeds at which that disc will burn. Some discs, in some burners, will go over the rated speed, though (some 8x discs burn @ 12x in my LG burners, for instance).

As for which is better...that I can't answer! I wouldn't burn, say, a 16x disc at 4x, though.

How to delete your upper and lower filters : How to check/enable DMA by Womble

Click here to join MyCE.com and be part of our friendly community!

Smile...people will wonder what you're up to
Arachne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006   #3
New on Forum

what is the preferred burn speed?.....I have nero set to burn at the maximum....and I don't see any loss of quality in the movie....I have used both 16x and 8x and don't see any noticeable difference.....just wondering what the "experts" do and why.....
Old 03-03-2006   #4
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valeegurl
which one is better? the higher the number or lower?
Valeegurl, welcome to the forum!

In general (there are exceptions) you should buy media with a certified speed that is not higher than the highest burning speed of your DVD burner. This is because a burner will not burn media well, if that particular media didn't exist when the drive's firmware was developed.

If you e.g. have an 8x capable DVD burner, you should buy 8x media (4x is also fine) but you should not buy 16x certified media unless you know for sure that the burner supports that particular media.

If you have a 16x capable DVD burner, you should buy 16x or 8x certified media. 4x media will probably also work, but will be far slower to burn and might not burn with the same quality (readability).

Please understand that the speed rating of a drive depends on the type of media being burned. A drive might be a 16x DVD+R burner, a 12x DVD-R burner, a 4x DVD+RW burner, a 2x DVD-RW burner and so on.

Which media gives you the best quality depends on the drive and the firmware. Have a look around in this forum and see which media people recommend depending on the DVD burner used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valeegurl
what is the preferred burn speed?.....I have nero set to burn at the maximum....and I don't see any loss of quality in the movie....I have used both 16x and 8x and don't see any noticeable difference.....just wondering what the "experts" do and why.....
The "experts" don't necessarily agree on this matter, and in any case it depends. As a general rule you should burn most 8x media at 8x (or 6x in some drives) and most 16x media at 12x for the optimal results.

There are exceptions to this general rule, however!
Old 03-03-2006   #5
MyCE Resident

There is no preferred burn speed. People have their individual preferences; some won't burn any higher than 4x regardless of the capabilities of the burner or media. Others are speed freaks and stick to the highest available speed. Whatever works for you really. If burning at max is working out, no need to change.
Two Degrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006   #6
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Degrees
...Whatever works for you really. If burning at max is working out, no need to change.
I agree with that. Oh, and I forgot my manners; Welcome to CDF!

How to delete your upper and lower filters : How to check/enable DMA by Womble

Click here to join MyCE.com and be part of our friendly community!

Smile...people will wonder what you're up to
Arachne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006   #7
CD Freaks Member

Hi
It's almost impossible to answer your question. Why? Too many variables. Burner -media - system - program used to write to DVD. If you look around you'll see that most folks will write to 8x @ 12x, as the media been around a while f/w has developed. 16x is probably best @ 12x, as this media is relatively new (when compared to 8x) DVDRWs' f/w has yet to make the most of it at its rated speed. The best thing to do is experiment for yourself. Try the rated speed of the media. Using CD/DVDSpeed disc quality if your writer supports this & compare results of same media when written @ different speeds. Pick the one that works best for you & your writer.
Old 03-03-2006   #8
New on Forum

thank you all very much......that makes sense.....