Old 03-05-2010   #1
MyCE Senior Member
 
MrPete1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 282
Verbatim Life Series any good?

Just wondering if the Life Series Verbatim discs are any good, it seems they are starting to pop up in the local stores here.

And a friend of the family bought 500 of them I'm wondering if he wasted his money. He is an older guy that likes to have like 3 back up copies of everything that's why he bought so many.

If I can I will get some from him to do a few scans.
MrPete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #2
MyCE Resident
 
Two Degrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Surrounded by granite in North GA
Posts: 6,462
Re: Verbatim Life Series any good?

From the other threads I've seen, the Life Series is just regular CMC MAG-coded media. I'd tell the friend to take them back and see if he can't find some of the Verbatim AZO stuff.
Two Degrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #3
MyCE Resident
 
jamescooley1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rock and Roll Capital of Planet Earth-Detroit Mi.
Posts: 9,467
Re: Verbatim Life Series any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPete1985 View Post
Just wondering if the Life Series Verbatim discs are any good, it seems they are starting to pop up in the local stores here.

And a friend of the family bought 500 of them I'm wondering if he wasted his money. He is an older guy that likes to have like 3 back up copies of everything that's why he bought so many.

If I can I will get some from him to do a few scans.
Made by Ritek or CMC MAG. mediocre, can be reliable if you burn at a reasonable speed, say 8x
jamescooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #4
MyCE Resident
 
Ripgut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Gardena, CA and Haddonfield, IL (only in Oct.)
Posts: 1,251
Re: Verbatim Life Series any good?

My nightmare is coming true, they ARE being slowly phased in. What local stores have you seen 'em in so far OP?
__________________
"You talkin' to me?" --Travis Bickle
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed." --Eleanor Roosevelt
"Ping pong is not the macarena. It takes patience. She is like a fine, well-aged prostitute, it takes years to learn her tricks." --Master Wong
Drives:
Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-860H 1.02
Lite-On LTR-52327S QS0E

Media:
Verbatim DVD+/-R 16x MCC 004 & MCC 03RG20
Fujifilm CD-R 48x Taiyo Yuden Company Limited
Ripgut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #5
MyCE Senior Member
 
MrPete1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 282
Office Max, I think k Mart also but cannot remember, staples didn't even have Verbatims. There were more Life Series discs on the shelf than the normal Verbatims.
MrPete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #6
Retired Moderator
 
DrageMester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Honah Lee
Posts: 20,691
Re: Verbatim Life Series any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPete1985 View Post
And a friend of the family bought 500 of them I'm wondering if he wasted his money. He is an older guy that likes to have like 3 back up copies of everything that's why he bought so many.
If you get the chance, I suggest you recommend your friend to make multiple backups to *different* types of media instead of to the *same* type of media. E.g. DVDs from different manufacturers, DVD + harddrive, DVD + flash memory (USB or SD).

By backing up to multiple discs of the same type, he is risking that all the copies suffer from the same manufacturing problem.
__________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
DrageMester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #7
MyCE Rookie
 
kievrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 27
I have been using verbatim DVD+R 16x CMC Mag M01(MIT) life series lately (burned ok, played well on "old" player) untill I saw some defect inside , really maybe just more estetic, as "incide ring dye edge was not really very round". I switched to Maxell DVD-R 16 x Ritek F1, because someone told me long ago Maxell where good. I did not like much as at one computer they did not burn at 16x but 8x. Though after checking my DVDs with Nero disk quality scan I was totally confused. None Verbatim or Maxell really showed good results, some Verbatim even showed 0% quality score. Checked old DVDs(RitekR03002, Ritek G05, MMC 004, TYG 02(Esperanza) ....others, like 6 years ago burned with another burner, also very different results up to 0%. Probably those had zero that had small scraches.THOUGH all new and old DVDs play good at players and computers. Was in local shop: they have Verbatim DVD+R 16x made in India and DVD-R 16x made in UAE, really dont know what to buy now. Maybe to get Maxell, because they showed at least stable results though not high either. Please advise what to do. What is better producer of Verbatim with Azo dye India or UAE?
kievrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #8
Moderator
 
pepst's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 5,783
Re: Verbatim Life Series any good?

Hi kievrus,
welcome to the forum!
Personally, I would buy the MIUAE Verbatims - I have nothing but a good experience with FTI made media.
By the way, what drive did you use for quality scanning of all those media (Ritek G05, etc.)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kievrus View Post
I have been using verbatim DVD+R 16x CMC Mag M01(MIT) life series lately (burned ok, played well on "old" player) untill I saw some defect inside , really maybe just more estetic, as "incide ring dye edge was not really very round". I switched to Maxell DVD-R 16 x Ritek F1, because someone told me long ago Maxell where good. I did not like much as at one computer they did not burn at 16x but 8x. Though after checking my DVDs with Nero disk quality scan I was totally confused. None Verbatim or Maxell really showed good results, some Verbatim even showed 0% quality score. Checked old DVDs(RitekR03002, Ritek G05, MMC 004, TYG 02(Esperanza) ....others, like 6 years ago burned with another burner, also very different results up to 0%. Probably those had zero that had small scraches.THOUGH all new and old DVDs play good at players and computers. Was in local shop: they have Verbatim DVD+R 16x made in India and DVD-R 16x made in UAE, really dont know what to buy now. Maybe to get Maxell, because they showed at least stable results though not high either. Please advise what to do. What is better producer of Verbatim with Azo dye India or UAE?
__________________
Prince Princo Pepst the First
http://www.last.fm/user/pepst/
I am looking for rare and old 1-4x media (MIDs: VIVASTAR, OMP 4KG001, REC001, AUVISTAR M01, SHT001, VDSPMSAB 004-001, POSGxx, VANGUARD, OCTOPLUS, 3AM0201, SMMR01, Yi Jhan 001, SKYMEDIA R01, Prodisc's and CMC Magnetics' DVD-RAMs, Beall's and Prodisc's 4,85 GB DVDs, any Authoring DVD-Rs, any 63 min and old CD-Rs ) and any "Made in Europe" DVDRs. Send me a PM if you could help me.[
By Grabthar's hammer, by the sons of Warvan, you shall be avenged!
pepst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #9
MyCE Rookie
 
kievrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 27
Re: Verbatim Life Series any good?

Pepst, thank you for answer. I used Optiarc , unfortunately others I had/have couldn't make Nero "quality scan", but only "read test".
kievrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #10
MyCE Resident
 
getit29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Standing Right behind you
Posts: 2,417
Re: Verbatim Life Series any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kievrus View Post
I used Optiarc
There you go that explains it all Optiarc's are not very good scanners to start with
but as for what media to buy I have to totally agree 100% with pepst on buying the
MIUAE Verbatims over buying the Maxell's, or the Life Series Verbatim's. If you are
buying Verbatim media make sure it has the AZO dye the Life Series does not have
AZO.

Maxell =
Memorex =
Life Series Verbatim =
__________________
Fight organized crime! Do Not Re-elect any career Politicians the next time you vote.

Main system burners
1 ASUS DRW-24B1LT cross flashed To Lite-On iHAS624 in external enclosure
1 Liteon iHAS 124-04B true iHAS124-04 Liteon drive
1 Liteon iHAS 524-98A true iHAS-524 Liteon drive
1 ASUS DRW-24B1LT cross flashed To Lite-On iHAS424
1 ASUS DRW-24B1LT cross flashed To Lite-On iHAS324
1 Samsung S203B

Secondary system
1 Samsung S203B
1 Liteon 20A1S
1 Liteon 160P6S

System Specs
getit29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #11
MyCE Rookie
 
kievrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 27
Getit29, thank you for answer. Before verbatim used to be in blue colour boxes (paper +plastic) and after blue with orange DVD-R, but I really did not pay attention this time and just bought "cheaper" ones which were value series and life series. Actually "value series" and "life series" are both MIT and have the same media code just one is cake pack and another spindel. I burned many "value series" actually....They burned easy and play good , I just hope they will play the same in some years. I try to back up much on hard drives but you never have enough of memory, you know. Maybe I should try to win "your own LG N2B1 NAS with 2TB of Storage!" advertised here . Going to buy MIUAE tonigh DVD-R 16x 100pack with AZO. Will inform soon what was the code inside
kievrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #12
MyCE Resident
 
getit29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Standing Right behind you
Posts: 2,417
Re: Verbatim Life Series any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kievrus View Post
Going to buy MIUAE tonigh DVD-R 16x 100pack with AZO. Will inform soon what was the code inside
The MID or code I believe should be MCC-03RG20 on those MIUAE 16x -R
__________________
Fight organized crime! Do Not Re-elect any career Politicians the next time you vote.

Main system burners
1 ASUS DRW-24B1LT cross flashed To Lite-On iHAS624 in external enclosure
1 Liteon iHAS 124-04B true iHAS124-04 Liteon drive
1 Liteon iHAS 524-98A true iHAS-524 Liteon drive
1 ASUS DRW-24B1LT cross flashed To Lite-On iHAS424
1 ASUS DRW-24B1LT cross flashed To Lite-On iHAS324
1 Samsung S203B

Secondary system
1 Samsung S203B
1 Liteon 20A1S
1 Liteon 160P6S

System Specs
getit29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010   #13
MyCE Senior Member
 
MrPete1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 282
I just got a Samsung today so I am going to ask if I can get about 10 discs from him and see how the QS is compared to my regular Verbatims that I got from Sams
MrPete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010   #14
MyCE Rookie
 
kievrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPete1985 View Post
I just got a Samsung today so I am going to ask if I can get about 10 discs from him and see how the QS is compared to my regular Verbatims that I got from Sams
It would be really greate to find out. I burned and scaned MCC 03-RG20 today - the same poor result 33% Q score, probably problem is really in Optiarc.
kievrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010   #15
Moderator
 
pepst's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 5,783
Re: Verbatim Life Series any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kievrus View Post
It would be really greate to find out. I burned and scaned MCC 03-RG20 today - the same poor result 33% Q score, probably problem is really in Optiarc.
Can you post a Transfer Rate Test, done on your Optiarc burner?
__________________
Prince Princo Pepst the First
http://www.last.fm/user/pepst/
I am looking for rare and old 1-4x media (MIDs: VIVASTAR, OMP 4KG001, REC001, AUVISTAR M01, SHT001, VDSPMSAB 004-001, POSGxx, VANGUARD, OCTOPLUS, 3AM0201, SMMR01, Yi Jhan 001, SKYMEDIA R01, Prodisc's and CMC Magnetics' DVD-RAMs, Beall's and Prodisc's 4,85 GB DVDs, any Authoring DVD-Rs, any 63 min and old CD-Rs ) and any "Made in Europe" DVDRs. Send me a PM if you could help me.[
By Grabthar's hammer, by the sons of Warvan, you shall be avenged!
pepst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010   #16
MyCE Rookie
 
kievrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepst View Post
Can you post a Transfer Rate Test, done on your Optiarc burner?

I will be glad to. Just dont know what program to use to copy screen windows. I really never needed it before. I will search tomorrow in internet and will try to post soon.
Is Transfer Rate Test in Nero? I don't see it.
kievrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010   #17
Moderator
 
pepst's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 5,783
Re: Verbatim Life Series any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kievrus View Post
I will be glad to. Just dont know what program to use to copy screen windows. I really never needed it before. I will search tomorrow in internet and will try to post soon.
Is Transfer Rate Test in Nero? I don't see it.
Nero CD DVD Speed has a "Save screen" feature - you do not need no additional software. You can run the TRT test from "Run Test" menu or by pressing the F2 key.
Name:  nero cd dvd3.jpg
Views: 5592
Size:  83.9 KB
__________________
Prince Princo Pepst the First
http://www.last.fm/user/pepst/
I am looking for rare and old 1-4x media (MIDs: VIVASTAR, OMP 4KG001, REC001, AUVISTAR M01, SHT001, VDSPMSAB 004-001, POSGxx, VANGUARD, OCTOPLUS, 3AM0201, SMMR01, Yi Jhan 001, SKYMEDIA R01, Prodisc's and CMC Magnetics' DVD-RAMs, Beall's and Prodisc's 4,85 GB DVDs, any Authoring DVD-Rs, any 63 min and old CD-Rs ) and any "Made in Europe" DVDRs. Send me a PM if you could help me.[
By Grabthar's hammer, by the sons of Warvan, you shall be avenged!
pepst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010   #18
MyCE Rookie
 
kievrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 27
Hello, thank you for explaining. Trying to attach results.
kievrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010   #19
MyCE Rookie
 
kievrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 27
here it is
Attached Images
  
kievrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010   #20
MyCE Rookie
 
kievrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepst View Post
Can you post a Transfer Rate Test, done on your Optiarc burner?
I posted transfer rate, could you please comment on it, I really dont understand what it is. Thank you.
kievrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010   #21
Moderator
 
pepst's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 5,783
Re: Verbatim Life Series any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kievrus View Post
I posted transfer rate, could you please comment on it, I really dont understand what it is. Thank you.
As getit29 said, your Optiarc is not a best scanner available and the quality scan does not look too pretty. Anyway, Transfer Rate Test is perfect and it shows that your Optiarc (which is quite a picky reading drive) have no problems reading tested medium (the green line is perfectly smooth).
Could you post the same tests of your "bad" CMC Mag M01 and Maxell media?
__________________
Prince Princo Pepst the First
http://www.last.fm/user/pepst/
I am looking for rare and old 1-4x media (MIDs: VIVASTAR, OMP 4KG001, REC001, AUVISTAR M01, SHT001, VDSPMSAB 004-001, POSGxx, VANGUARD, OCTOPLUS, 3AM0201, SMMR01, Yi Jhan 001, SKYMEDIA R01, Prodisc's and CMC Magnetics' DVD-RAMs, Beall's and Prodisc's 4,85 GB DVDs, any Authoring DVD-Rs, any 63 min and old CD-Rs ) and any "Made in Europe" DVDRs. Send me a PM if you could help me.[
By Grabthar's hammer, by the sons of Warvan, you shall be avenged!
pepst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010   #22
MyCE Rookie
 
kievrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepst View Post
As getit29 said, your Optiarc is not a best scanner available and the quality scan does not look too pretty. Anyway, Transfer Rate Test is perfect and it shows that your Optiarc (which is quite a picky reading drive) have no problems reading tested medium (the green line is perfectly smooth).
Could you post the same tests of your "bad" CMC Mag M01 and Maxell media?
Pepst, hank you for helping. I have just burned couple DVDs with different burner, speed 4x and 16x. Speed 4x gives better result. Burned with 16x DVD on run transfer has a huge jump. Only this another burner really itself has chosen speed and I really dont understand why because the same blanks. I have Nero essenyial and really dont see here option to chose speed for burning. So I should burn with lower speed and different Nero probably and maybe different burner. Will post tests of Mag and Maxell later. Thanks a lot again.
p.s. My old DVDs were burned with TSST coprp TS-L532U (broken already because old) and LG USB burner (cant see what model as I left it in my parents house).
kievrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010   #23
MyCE Rookie
 
kievrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 27
forgot to upload
Attached Images
  
kievrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010   #24
MyCE Rookie
 
kievrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 27
Yes, I am so silly. Just found where to chose speed....

No, I found nothing. Probably y can change DVD speed only while copying DVD but not while writing Data DVD
kievrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010   #25
Moderator
 
pepst's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 5,783
Re: Verbatim Life Series any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kievrus View Post
Yes, I am so silly. Just found where to chose speed....

No, I found nothing. Probably y can change DVD speed only while copying DVD but not while writing Data DVD
Try Ashampoo Burning Studio Free - it's simpler & less system resources hungry. It allows to change the burning speed before writing.
__________________
Prince Princo Pepst the First
http://www.last.fm/user/pepst/
I am looking for rare and old 1-4x media (MIDs: VIVASTAR, OMP 4KG001, REC001, AUVISTAR M01, SHT001, VDSPMSAB 004-001, POSGxx, VANGUARD, OCTOPLUS, 3AM0201, SMMR01, Yi Jhan 001, SKYMEDIA R01, Prodisc's and CMC Magnetics' DVD-RAMs, Beall's and Prodisc's 4,85 GB DVDs, any Authoring DVD-Rs, any 63 min and old CD-Rs ) and any "Made in Europe" DVDRs. Send me a PM if you could help me.[
By Grabthar's hammer, by the sons of Warvan, you shall be avenged!
pepst is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Verbatim Value Series negritude Blank Media 28 25-04-2013 07:18
[Life after 500] - 503rd comic - Remember the old DING-DONG series? [Last Part] Rylex Living Room 2 15-12-2009 15:59
Optiarc 7200 series end of life? SLM crew chief NEC / Optiarc Writer 12 21-12-2008 07:54
Life Is Good shadow07 Living Room 17 08-02-2006 22:27
Different qualities of Verbatim Data Life Plus ? WebTech Inc Blank Media 7 02-10-2002 23:51


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:18.
Top