Old 25-08-2003   #1
New on Forum

Taiyo Yuden are they that good ?

I here a lot of stuff one this forum about Taiyo Yuden and Mitsubishi Disks being the best there is, are they really that much better than say TDK Metallic.
If they are what technology do they use to make so much better products.
How long can you count on a Taiyo Yuden disk to last if you treat it good.
Old 25-08-2003   #2
CDFreaks Resident

Re: Taiyo Yuden are they that good ?

Quote:
Originally posted by xorzisten

are they really that much better than say TDK Metallic.

If they are what technology do they use to make so much better products.

How long can you count on a Taiyo Yuden disk to last if you treat it good.
Which TDK Metallic are you talking about ? Those made by TDK, TY or Ritek ?

Search for "Cyanine" to find out more.

Approximately 70 years, which would be enough for your grandkids to be able to explore their grandpa's rarities.
BoSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2003   #3
New on Forum

I dont know who made the TDK Metallic I got, how do I find out.

And secondly, you say they are able to last 70 years, but I have these cd's (no TY cd's) that only last 1-2 years before they are unreadable.
How can there be such a huge difference, and by proper treatment I mean to be kept in a cover and not to light and not to warm either.
Thirdly what experiments are the 70 year number based on, it cant be real lige experience since TY hasnt been around for 70 years.
Old 27-08-2003   #4
Retired Moderator

Boskin is 110 yrs old and he's been burning CDR's for 70 yrs.
Unfortunately, 1-2 years is far more common than not. A lot depends on how well they are burned to begin with, and 1-2 years ago most burners were not doing such a great job. The higher quality cyanine-based dyes are more stable over time, as far as we know, but may be less tolerant of heat and UV.

See the media FAQ for stuff about who-makes-what and how to tell. You just need the ATIP, SmartBurn.exe will tell you.
rdgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2003   #5
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally posted by rdgrimes

BoSkin is 110 yrs old and he's been burning CDR's for 70 yrs.
Damn, it didn't work to cover up my old age despite all my desperate attempts of regular, daily make-ups.

Quote:
Originally posted by xorzisten

I dont know who made the TDK Metallic I got, how do I find out.

And secondly, you say they are able to last 70 years, but I have these cd's (no TY cd's) that only last 1-2 years before they are unreadable.
Ignorance is blessing !

1. The CDR ATIP can be determined e.g by :

Smartburn Media Check Simulator ( www.liteonit.com/ODD/zip/SMARTBURN.zip or SmartBurn checker v3.1.1 )
KProbe & MInfo ( @ Media Forum )
CDR Identifier 1.63 ( Google search )
Nero CD Speed ( bundled w Nero or www.cdspeed2000.com ) > Extras > Disc Info
CD Doctor ( @ Google )
Feurio CD-Writer > Output ATIP Info
etc...

Furthermore "and secondly", regarding your query on those 70 years,
if you just followed my kind advice on serching for "Cyanine", then you could discover something like this :

CD-R Dye Explained

TDK CD-R Technology
Quote:
TDK rates the archival lifespan of its cyanine-based CD-R discs at 70 years (based on accelerated aging tests) .
This paper presents data that reflect TDK's decade-long research and development efforts in the field of optical recording media.
DISC LONGEVITY
Quote:
What is the shelf life of unrecorded CD-R and CD-RW discs?

The unrecorded shelf life of a CD-R or CD-RW disc is conservatively estimated to be between 5 and 10 years .

How long will data recorded on CD-R and CD-RW discs remain readable?

The life span of a written disc depends upon a number of factors including such things as the intrinsic properties of the materials used in the disc’s construction, its manufactured quality, how well it is recorded and its physical handing and storage. As a result, the life span of a recorded disc is extremely difficult to estimate reliably. However, to calculate disc life spans within some practical timeframe blank media manufacturers do conduct accelerated age testing by subjecting samples of their discs to environments much beyond those experienced under normal storage conditions. Generally speaking, only the effects of varying temperature and humidity are considered. These test results are then used to predict how long a disc will remain readable under more normal storage conditions. Since questionable testing and measurement procedures can seriously impact upon and compromise these estimates several international standards have been developed which specify procedures to be used conducting accelerated testing and analyzing the resulting data from prerecorded (pressed) and recordable CDs:

ISO 18921:2002, Imaging materials — Compact discs (CD-ROM) — method for estimating the life expectancy based on the effects of temperature and relative humidity

ISO 18927:2002, Imaging materials — Recordable compact disc systems — method for estimating the life expectancy based on the effects of temperature and relative humidity

For years now many media manufacturers have performed their own lifetime evaluations using these or a variety of other homegrown tests and mathematical modeling techniques. Historically, manufacturers have claimed life-spans ranging from 50 to 200 years for CD-R discs and 20 to 100 years for CD-RW . Be aware, however, that disc producers, manufacturing methods and materials change over time as do applications and cost imperatives. Consequently, those concerned with disc longevity should consult the appropriate international standards and their media manufacturer for more particular information.

It is important to remember, however, that nothing lasts forever and that technologies inevitably change. Well-designed products, such as CD-R and CD-RW, allow for seamless transition to the next generation and ultimately, since they embody digital information, contents can be transferred to future storage systems as becomes necessary to preserve whatever has been stored on the discs.
Which dye is better?

Quote:
There are several classes of dye used in CD-R manufacture. The main ones are cyanine, phthalocyanine and azo. There are large differences in media performance, stability and processability between each class, and even within each class.

Cyanine dyes pioneered the original CD-Rs, but were found lacking in environmental stability and required fluorinated solvent systems during manufacture.

Phthalocyanine has now largely replaced cyanine as the prevalent dye class for this application. The most advanced and widely accepted phthalocyanine dye is Ciba Irgaphor Ultragreen MX, a specifically engineered solution targeted at enabling improvements in multi-speed media, combined with simple processing and easy recycling. Ultragreen MX enables manufacturers to produce discs of the highest quality, suitable for all recording speeds.

Last edited by BoSkin; 27-08-2003 at 14:51.
BoSkin is offline   Reply With Quote