Old 06-05-2004   #1
CD Freaks Rookie

Silk Screening DVD or CD media- Is it affordable for home user?

Dear friends,
I'm looking to find out how to "silk screen" print on my CD and DVD media? I have been told I need the shiny top media (not the thermal or inkjet white label medias) in order to accomplish this.

Is there a printer or machine that can silk screen DVD or CD media so that it looks like a "normal" commercially printed DVD or CD (as opposed to the cheapee do-it-yourself home sticker press to DVD/CD kits which tend to make the media look funky)

Final Question: Is this printer (silk screener) affordable for the home user, or does the price tend to move it into the commercial realm exclusively?

Thank you for your kind helps!
DANNY
diamond_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004   #2
CD Freaks Member

Hi!

Being a screenprinter I could not resist answering your question. I have never seen how discs are printed in production, but I know the basics about it.

If it is a photolike print, then you need a lot of things. First you need the original picture (not a scanned image or downloaded image. If you use that you are bound to get moare.(which is unwanted patterns in the image))

The image needs then to get separated into four color channels, CMYK (C= cyan M= magenta Y= yellow K=black) which is quite costly.

Then you need four screens with the correct meshcount.
Now you need to process these screen along with a film you received from the guys who made the colorseparation.
This is done in a light with a special wavelength, I´m using a special halogenlight.

Then you need to mount the screens in a specialmachine which I dont know the english name of. However that machine is needed so the screens register exactly against eachother everytime.

When you have made the registration correct it is only to put each process ink on the correct screen and print away!

You probably gave the whole idea away at an early stage while reading this, I just wanted to give an insight how complicated this is. But in reality it is even more complicated then what I described.
HotBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004   #3
Retired Senior Moderator

As you can see by HotBlack's well written post, silk screening is probably not the option you are looking for.

You can use certain inkjet printers to print directly to the media surface. The results are quite professional and are both safer and looke nicer then stick on labels.

For example, this one will be good for printing on CD/DVD's (as well as photo's). It's also pretty cheap at only $179 US. You could also spend more money and get a more expensive commercial type printer, but for your needs this one would probably do just fine.
Just make sure you get inkjet printable media

(moved thread to media forum)

Ssseth likes pickles, loves wallpaper and lives for bacon.
Ssseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009   #4
New on Forum

Re: Silk Screening DVD or CD media- Is it affordable for home user?

You don't need to silk screen..... You need a THERMAL transfer printer. The one im looking at getting is the TEAC-55 it's around $5,000 (yes expensive).

It prints store bought quality photo realistic images. Just google thermal DVD printers.... Youre Welcome...
ThePokerPRO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009   #5
MyCE Resident

@thepoker
You don't need to silk screen...You need to read the posts, you just responded to a thread that is almost 5 years old.
camellote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #6

I appreciate his now 7 yr old post because it answered my question perfectly. As if you care a year later. Thank you ThePokerPRO1
thepappadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond_life View Post
Dear friends,
I'm looking to find out how to "silk screen" print on my CD and DVD media? I have been told I need the shiny top media (not the thermal or inkjet white label medias) in order to accomplish this.

Is there a printer or machine that can silk screen DVD or CD media so that it looks like a "normal" commercially printed DVD or CD (as opposed to the cheapee do-it-yourself home sticker press to DVD/CD kits which tend to make the media look funky)

Final Question: Is this printer (silk screener) affordable for the home user, or does the price tend to move it into the commercial realm exclusively?

Thank you for your kind helps!
DANNY
One way that you can accomplish this with minimal amount of investment would to purchase an Epson printer capable of printing on cds. Approximate cost $150 - $200.
You would be suprised at the quality of the prints. Also to give it a professional looking finish I lay the printed cd on a block of wood and spray the printed side with a light coat of clear coat spray paint. The paint seals the ink so it wont run and gives a nice shine to the surface. The paint will not eat the plastic, I've been using this method for about 1 and 1/2 years with no issues.

~Josh

Last edited by JoshuaBrandenburg; 05-01-2011 at 04:59. Reason: name
JoshuaBrandenburg is offline   Reply With Quote