Old 30-12-2006   #1
CD Freaks Rookie

Saving content from damaged DVDs?

As I mentioned earlier & posted pictures to go along with my complaints, I've now discovered maybe 70% of my prodisc DVDs are defective and I can not read or copy from them. Here's one & I have perhaps 100 more of these that I have yet to go through and the pile of defective discs at my feet is impressive. I'd say 30% are good and the discs are 1-2 years old. And yes, I verify every disk I burn.

I am so bummed, I have permanently lost so many home videos and backups of data that I will never be able to recover them.

I can't believe how short a life DVD media has. I guess I need to archive everything on USB removable hard drives. This really, really sucks.

DVInfo Pro says:

Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Media code/Manufacturer ID PRODISC R03
Media Product Revision Number 03h
UDF Format Type V1.02
UDF Volume Name NEWe
UDF Application id None
UDF Implementation id AHEAD Nero
UDF Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 8/10/2005 20:39:44
Format Capacity 4.37GB(4.69GB)
Book Type DVD+R
Media Type DVD+R
Manufacturer Rated Speed 8.0x 11080KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 12.0x 16620KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 11080KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 6.0x 8310KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 22F24Fh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

Complete Media Code
00000000 08 02 00 00 A1 0F 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 25 F2 4F .............%.O
00000010 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 50 52 4F 44 49 53 43 00 52 .......PRODISC.R
00000020 30 33 03 38 23 54 37 0F 02 54 6B 02 94 63 15 15 03.8#T7..Tk..c..
00000030 0B 0A 08 08 01 1C 1E 0B 0C 12 12 01 00 00 00 00 ................

From Nero CD-DVD Speed:

General Information
Drive: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A
Firmware: 1.WB
Disc: DVD+R (PRODISC R03)
Selected speed: 8 X
PI errors
Maximum: 5354
Average: 1142.99
Total: 17137781
PI failures
Maximum: 1666
Average: 286.13
Total: 3764935
PO failures: n/a
Jitter: n/a
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 10:10
Number of samples: 15948
Average scanning interval: 8.54 ECC
Glitches removed: 1
Attached Images

megalomando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2006   #2
Retired Moderator

Re: Which DVD-R media is best for long-term storage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalomando
As I mentioned earlier & posted pictures to go along with my complaints, I've now discovered maybe 70% of my prodisc DVDs are defective and I can not read or copy from them.
[...]
Drive: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A
NEC drives are not the best readers. There's a chance you'd be able to save the contents of some discs by reading them in better readers such as e.g. a LiteOn DVD burner.

There's no guarantee, however.
Old 31-12-2006   #3
CD Freaks Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrageMester
NEC drives are not the best readers. There's a chance you'd be able to save the contents of some discs by reading them in better readers such as e.g. a LiteOn DVD burner.

There's no guarantee, however.
Drage,

I don't mind following suggestions so I went & bought a LiteOn LH-16W1P at WalMart. (They had several models at the same price. this one was made in Oct of 2006 so if it's two months old it's probably one of their newer ones.

And you were right; it does copy some of the disks, not all but any is better than what the NEC wasn't reading.

Still... The disks did pass the verify when they were made & now they don't pass so there's something bad about my disks.

Regardless, any of the home movies I can recover is wonderful so Thank you for the suggestion!
Old 31-12-2006   #4
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Drage,
[...]
And you were right; it does copy some of the disks, not all but any is better than what the NEC wasn't reading.
[...]
Regardless, any of the home movies I can recover is wonderful so Thank you for the suggestion!
You're welcome!
I'm glad to hear you managed to save some additional movies.

If your drives have problems reading different parts of a disc, but all parts of the disc is readable in at least one drive, then you can use DVDisaster or IsoBuster to read the contents of the disc into an ISO image by using multiple reading drives in several attempts. This may be worth trying.

* * This thread was created by moving some posts from another thread * *

Last edited by DrageMester; 02-01-2007 at 01:31. Reason: typo
DrageMester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006   #5
CD Freaks Rookie

Hi Drage,

I'm not sure how to go about that with Isobuster. I have the latest version of Isobuster but have never tried making one image from several attempts. Might you know where to find that info, I haven't found it yet myself.

Thanks!
Old 31-12-2006   #6
MyCE Resident

Re: Saving content from damaged DVDs?

I would try using the LiteOn with Isobuster. If you look in the Isobuster help feature there is a section on Data Recovery that explains what it does and your options. Good luck.
A warrior doesn't know remorse for anything he has done, because to isolate one's acts as being mean, or ugly, or evil is to place an unwarranted importance on ourselves.The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of the work is the same.
nmpaulcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006   #7
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Still... The disks did pass the verify when they were made & now they don't pass so there's something bad about my disks.
Definitly.

To avoid such problems in the future, there are several guidelines.
The most important is to use reputable media (see the sticky thread about "media for long-term archiving), store it properly and handle it with care.
Another is to check the actual reading performance of your burnt discs instead of using the "verify" option (which I find rather useless personally), by performing a transfer rate test with CDSpeed after the burn. Any slowdown in the reading curve is an incitation to consider the disc as suspect.
Another one, more complicated and time-consuming, is to scan you fresh burns for PIE/PIF values with CDSpeed, and check after some time (6 months for instance), with the same drive used for the original scan, if these values don't increase in a significant way (small variations are normal). In case they do, the discs are unstable (this can be caused either by the blanks quality, the burning method, the storing conditions or all of these).

Good luck with your rescuing mission
Old 31-12-2006   #8
MyCE Resident

You might also want to try IsoPuzzle with the LiteOn, it's free GoodLuck

Not registered - Go register to use the forums to their fullest Click here
jm1647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006   #9
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1647
You might also want to try IsoPuzzle with the LiteOn, it's free GoodLuck
Nice, I wasn't familiar with this program and from what I read, it sounds like it may be the best program I've encountered for really tough discs.

Having said that, if you're encountering a significant portion of unreadable portions of a disc using DVD Decrypter with read-retries turned on in your best reader, this program is probably not going to extract significantly more data. There's bad discs and then there's BAD discs where you're looking at large portions of unreadable data no matter what program or drive you try to use.
scoobiedoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006   #10
CD Freaks Rookie

Yes, I do want to thank all of you for your kind and helpful responses to this dilemma I'm dealing with. It's nice to find people willing to offer true help instead of superfluous replys.

I'll check out isopuzzle, maybe it'll help.

I do believe some of my disks are unreadable by most anything, I have several I can not even get either the new LiteOn or the one year old NEC to recognize.

(I always remembered NEC was an above average product but I guess the CD/DVD line is not as good as their other video lines.)

The upcoming head Gasket repair on my Subaru is about as bothersome.

Very frustrating and maddening but it's not the end of the world...
Old 31-12-2006   #11
CD Freaks Rookie

FWIW,

I just used isopuzzle and it did a beautiful job up till around 80% of the disk and then from that point on, there was nothing it could read, the last 20% or so of the disk shows as red with no readable parts from that point on.

Seems like all my really bad disks are like that; they get to a point & from that part on, nothing is able to be read.

So it's not like a small scratch, it's like the disk is non readable from that point on.
Old 31-12-2006   #12
CD Freaks Rookie

Rats... I just tried using the NEC drive with isopuzzle to see if it would recover data that the LiteOn didn't and there's an error when I do that. The liteon apparently said the DVD had 2285679 sectors and the NEC says there's 2285677 so there's 2 sectors of difference and isopuzzle won't go with that and refuses to procede.

Ah well...

However... I ran the same disc with the NEC to compare and around 50% the NEC fails. so in relative terms, the LiteOn which reads the same disk up to around 80%, is a markedly better reader than the NEC.

On both drives though the disk acts the same. As soon as it starts to be bad, it continues to be unreadable for the rest of the disk.

Last edited by megalomando; 31-12-2006 at 20:41.
Old 31-12-2006   #13
MyCE Resident

In the link I posted for IsoPuzzle there is a link for a program called h2cdimage written in German that has some hints...heating and cooling the media is one, give it a read, it might be worth a shot. But like scoobiedoobie said there is BAD media that ya just can't get stuff off of.

Again, Good Luck

Edit - it is said that LiteOn DVD ROMS are better readers than their burners.
I have a 167T and a 16P9S and can agree with that. They go for about $20. Another shot maybe worth taking.

Old 01-01-2007   #14
MyCE Resident

One of the reasons I prefer dvdisaster over IsoPuzzle is that it allows you to select where to get the image size from, either the drive, ISO/UDF or ECC/RS02. Also, you can choose between a linear and adaptive reading strategy, create ECC files which you can store on any medium you like that'll help you recover the disc again if disaster strikes again...

With that said, I'm going to check out IsoPuzzle again since I haven't tried it in a while.
Old 01-01-2007   #15
CDFreaks Resident

megalomando, what brand were these Prodiscs under?
Kevatcrewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007   #16
CD Freaks Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevatcrewe
megalomando, what brand were these Prodiscs under?
I bought them as Prodisk from Rima.com

Most all my DVD & CD media I get from Rima & they list by the maker of the disk.
Old 05-01-2007   #17
CD Freaks Rookie

I've been using Isopuzzle for several days now and there have been only a couple of DVDs I can't complete. I found one secret is to remove the media & then re-insert it again and often times it jump starts reading where it was stuck before the recycling of the tray.

I had to let one DVD run for 10+ hours but it finally read & assembled the iso perfectly. It's a slick piece of work.

DVDisaster is faster I think and it also works well at digging out "weak" sectors but I haven't found a way to keep it persisting in recovering unwilling sectors. IsoPuzzle will hammer at the bad sectors forever if you want it to.

You'd think that if if a sector scans as dead, that repeated hammering on the sector wouldn't make a Lazarus out of it but sure enough, IsoPuzzle makes that happen...
Old 05-01-2007   #18
MyCE Resident

Quote:
I've been using Isopuzzle for several days now and there have been only a couple of DVDs I can't complete. I found one secret is to remove the media & then re-insert it again and often times it jump starts reading where it was stuck before the recycling of the tray.

I had to let one DVD run for 10+ hours but it finally read & assembled the iso perfectly. It's a slick piece of work.

DVDisaster is faster I think and it also works well at digging out "weak" sectors but I haven't found a way to keep it persisting in recovering unwilling sectors. IsoPuzzle will hammer at the bad sectors forever if you want it to.

You'd think that if if a sector scans as dead, that repeated hammering on the sector wouldn't make a Lazarus out of it but sure enough, IsoPuzzle makes that happen...
I'm glad it is working out for you , especially on the home pics and stuff that can't be replaced.

Old 07-01-2007   #19
CD Freaks Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1647
I'm glad it is working out for you , especially on the home pics and stuff that can't be replaced.
Yes, exactly! Buying a new burner was a small price to pay to be able to better read ailing DVDs.

I am however going to have to buy a couple of the large USB drives and back everything up on them & keep them elsewhere for safe keeping. I am STUNNED at the amount of problems I have with even one year old DVDs. I thought I was getting good media, had a solid burner and everything tested fine with verify.

Now I see that's not the case & I probably should re-copy my DVDs every year or two to be safe.

Fortunately the DVDs of the trip to Scotland in 05 were recovered, those meant a lot to me!

Thanks to this group & those who were so helpful!
Old 07-01-2007   #20
CDFreaks Resident

Nicr to hear you were able to get some of the content back .

I make 3 backups of important stuff on 3 different DVD types, such as Maxell MIJ, Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim so that if one set goes, I will have another left. This works very well for me, and I suggest you adopt the same strategy for complete peace of kind
Kevatcrewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007   #21
Retired Moderator

In addition to burning several backups, I have recently started using DVDisaster to add additional ECC protection to ISO images before I burn them to DVD. This only works it there's some space left for the ECC protection, however. It also takes some extra time. But better safe than sorry!
DrageMester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #22
MyCE Resident

A new version of ISOPuzzle will be available soon but there is a temporary workaround for different number of sectors between drives. See here