Old 04-08-2005   #26
CD Freaks Member

Writing (marker) on 'silver' unbranded TY DVD-Rs: OK?

I just got started burning some Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-Rs (at 8x) yesterday and I wrote on them the same as I did CDs by Taiyo Yuden. So far, Nero CD-DVD Speed reports no file or surface errors, so I assume everything is OK. Is it really OK to write on DVD-Rs the same like any unbranded CDs? I notice that the marker appear blurry on the DVD-R. Is this normal for these kind of discs? Thanks very much for any info...
adam917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005   #27
CD Freak

Re: Writing (marker) on 'silver' unbranded TY DVD-Rs: OK?

Hmm it doesn't appear blurry on my silver TYG02 discs.
Hasn't caused any problems that I have found.
Old 04-08-2005   #28
New on Forum

No problems here using black sharpie. Doesn't look blurry, though.
davidw001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005   #29
CD Freaks Senior Member

Could be the effect of the light shining through the top plastic and rebounding of the data layer. If you put a clear label on a silver DVD then you get a kinda 3D effect.
Dismembered Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005   #30
MyCE Resident

"Is it really OK to write on DVD-Rs the same like any unbranded CDs"

The question could be asked the other way round, as it's actually safer to write on DVDs than it is on CDs....

CD:

-------------------- reflective layer
............................ dye
================ plastic 1.2mm

DVD:

================ plastic 0.6mm
............................. dye

Cheers
Old 25-08-2005   #31
CD Freaks Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francksoy
"Is it really OK to write on DVD-Rs the same like any unbranded CDs"

The question could be asked the other way round, as it's actually safer to write on DVDs than it is on CDs....

CD:

............................ dye
================ plastic 1.2mm

DVD:

............................. dye

Cheers
Wow! Thanks for pointing that out to me! It makes sense. :-D
adam917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2005   #32
MyCE Senior Member

Another important point is to use a solvent-free marker and make sure the tip is not too fine nor your writing pressure too forceful.

Sharpie makes a specific marker for CD-DVD's, called the Sharpie CD Marker (#37035), which purportedly does not have harmful solvents. The regular Sharpie permanent marking pen has harmful solvents and has the telltale Sharpie smell. The new Sharpie CD Marker has a very different odor to it (not unpleasant) and dries fast.

Another marking pen that is kinder to your media, supposedly, is the Staedtler Lumicolor.

I choose the Sharpie over the Staedtler only because my local Staples store had multicolor 4-pack of Staedtler vs. an all black 4-pack of Sharpie CD Marker and I only wanted black. I only use the "fine" tip and not the "ultrafine" tip to decrease my risk of scratching the media.

And, yes, I also get that mirror-image blurry effect on my Taiyo Yuden 8X T02 DVD+R's.
bulletx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005   #33
MyCE Junior Member

Okay to write on discs with a marker?

Perhaps this is a silly question. I have a bunch of DVD-R's which have no brand at all and they are nearly see-through before use. I wrote on a couple of these with a red marker before I burned them and got coasters. The next one, I burned before writing on it and it came out okay.

Could the fact that I wrote (on the silver side, not the light purple side) on the disc have caused them to have problems? The write completed, but I had "verify" checked and the verify is what failed. I was using Nero (6.x, I think).

If writing on the these unbranded discs with marker is not recommended, am I better off buying the ones with the white coating for inkjet printing?

I hope this is not too silly a question and I hope it's just coincidence... it's like $0.10 per disk for the inkjet printable discs.

Thanks.

Al.
korz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005   #34
MyCE Resident

Re: Okay to write on discs with a marker?

I think if you stay with a good brand of disc (Sony-Fuji) made in japan or Verbatim 16x you should have no problem writing on them with a sharpie. Cheapo disc are another story.
CPU IntelC2Q Q9650 3G 3.1GHZ Dual-Quad
Memory Patriot 4GB 2x2
OS Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
HDDs 1 Hitachi 640 GB and 1 TB SATA, External 1.5 TB, Two 2TB and 1 WD 3TB external and 1 250 GB external fire wire. 4 port 2.6 Amp powered USB hub
Burners Internal-Ide Lit-on IHAP 422-98,Pioneer DVR 117---Sata Lite-on IHAS 324-9, Optiarc 7240 and Samsung 243, IHAS 124 Y. External Mad Dog (NEC3500) to burn old 4X media.
PSU Antec 550W true power

Computers can burn up when shut off if they are still plugged in even when using a UPS.

2nd 'Puter (On line use) Dell Power Edge 700, Pentium 4E 520 Prescott @ 2.8GHz
Windows XP Pro SP3
2.5 GB DDR 3200, WD 160GB ATA HD, 4 SCSI HD in raid for 500GB, 250 GB Hd on a firewire port.
Samsung 223 DVD burner, Plextor 48/24/48U
Printers 1-Canon 820 and (1-Epson R300, Put back into a box) Samsung ?25 B/W lazer
6 Usb and 3 Firewire ports in the rear and 10 port,7.2Amp powered Rosewill Usb hub in the front along with Rosewill card reader +1 Usb port in the floppy slot
3rd 'Puter Compaq CQ-50 Laptop,Vista 32Bit
Celeron 575 @2GHZ, 3GB DDR2 5300, 160GB HD and 1-250GB WD passport HD, 2.6 amp powered USB hub.
Optiarc 7200 in external case
Epson NX 415 Printer.
(Wall-Mart $299) Vista 32 bit
G_Ivan Awfulitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005   #35
Senior Moderator, Editor and Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by korz
...nearly see-through...

The only media of this type that I know are some old CDs of very low quality. Never seen DVD almost transparent. There is no brand also on the box? Where do you find these discs? And what mediacode have?

Quote:
If writing on the these unbranded discs with marker is not recommended, am I better off buying the ones with the white coating for inkjet printing?
This can be a good solution: I already do this (but the best results are with a printer ).

I suggest you don't buy labels
geno888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005   #36
Retired Moderator

Cripes! Why pay $30 on Ebay for some crap Chinese discs when you can get TY for $33 at Rima

Putting that curiosity aside, you can write on the back of a DVD with anything you like and it shouldn't effect burning or playback. With crap Chinese discs, all bets are off.

Somewhere around here are some tests I did after gouging the back of a DVD with a paper clip and a screwdriver - literally scratching on a label. It had no effect. Anyway, get some decent media.
rdgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005   #37
CD Freaks Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes
Cripes! Why pay $30 on Ebay for some crap...
But everything's cheaper on eBay...
hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005   #38
New on Forum

reminds me of those silver coated el cheapo CD`s if you sneezed over them, youd blow the coating right off the surface
DarkStar1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2005   #39
CDFreaks Resident

eBay just doesn't seem worth it with places like Office Max and Best Buy selling 50pks of Verbatim for $15 each.
Old 25-12-2005   #40
Retired Moderator

Quote:
I presume that not everyone on ebay is selling fake TY's. Can you get a good deal on good media there, or am I just better off buying from a place like supermediastore.com?
You've just learned the true cost of "cheap" media. 3 out of 5 were coasters, the other 2 are probably very marginal. Thats a lot of money wasted.

If you know what to look for, you can get decent media in stores on sale. but if you prefer to get the best without risk or hastle, just stick with www.rima.com .
rdgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2005   #41
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall
But everything's cheaper on eBay...
Seems to me once you factor in shipping most things are more expensive on Ebay.
MysticEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2005   #42
MyCE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticEyes
Yep. I have found no decent media deals on Ebay in the past 2 years or so, and don't expect to find any (unless somebody inadvertently posts an auction with incorrect prices.)

Your best bet for deals IMHO? Regularly browse the bargain basement forum here and the hot deals forum over at fatwallet. My best deals on media have been either online sales or big box store sales+coupons/price match/etc. announced in those places.
Lite-On SOHW-832S w/ CG5J firmware (8x DVD±R/RW)

Retired:
Pioneer DVR-105 w/ 2x4all firmware (4x DVD-R)
Plextor PX-W2410A (24x IDE CD-R/RW)
Sony CDU-920S (2x SCSI CD-R)
reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2005   #43
MyCE Resident

It may have been chance, or the silvering may be so poorly protected that the marker penetrated the low quality laquering - in which case, it would be just as bad if you marked them after writing.

VDSPMSAB 01 - a poor code, and what sounds like a poor example of it too.

Most Taiwan, India or other media of semi respectable brand name would do far better than that, even if not up to the standards of the best MIJ.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2005   #44
MyCE Senior Member

There are some DVDs out there which are apparently not made correctly, not made up to full specs. Some of them have even been reported as lacking the upper plastic layer, being built much like a CD-R (never seen one, only heard of them from time to time).

To answer the question, any properly-manufacturer DVD shold be fine with a marker. The upper layer of plastic protects it, or the branding/inkjet/thermal layer if one exists. Inability to use markers was a myth started in the CD-R days. It was not true then, and it's technically impossible with DVD.
lordsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2005   #45
CD Freaks Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticEyes
I was being sarcastic....

Here's a 25-pk of Memorex DL: http://cgi.ebay.com/MEMOREX-25-PACK-...QQcmdZViewItem. Factoring in shipping, they're $2.50/each. Without the inflated shipping cost, they'd be $2.00/each.
hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006   #46
MyCE Junior Member

Thanks for all the info regarding writing on the discs with a marker. I'll bet that it was just coincidence that I had two coaster in which I first wrote on them with a big fat red marker and then the third try succeeded, but I did not write on it until after I burned it.

As for ebay, the inflated shipping prices are the sellers' way of getting around ebay's increasing fees. Ebay does not take a cut of the shipping charges. I've bought stuff that was $1 with $20 shipping, but I knew what I was getting into and the item was worth $40 retail. I recently bought five new caller ID boxes for $18 including shipping. Let's see you beat that at any brick & mortar retailer!

Don't forget to include tax when you buy from a brick & mortar retailer.

Al.
korz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006   #47
CD Freaks Rookie

If you look at the inside of the labels for Sony or Fuji (8x +R MIJ are ones I have), they specifically state to use oil-based felt tip pen when writing on the surface of the disc
learndvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #48

Quote:
Thanks for all the info regarding writing on the discs with a marker. I'll bet that it was just coincidence that I had two coaster in which I first wrote on them with a big fat red marker and then the third try succeeded, but I did not write on it until after I burned it.

As for ebay, the inflated shipping prices are the sellers' way of getting around ebay's increasing fees. Ebay does not take a cut of the shipping charges. I've bought stuff that was $1 with $20 shipping, but I knew what I was getting into and the item was worth $40 retail. I recently bought five new caller ID boxes for $18 including shipping. Let's see you beat that at any brick & mortar retailer!

Don't forget to include tax when you buy from a brick & mortar retailer.

Al.
The bottom line though is that ebay IS NOT the place to shop for media. Yes, you can get some good deals/hard to find items, if you really dig but when it comes to blank media, it is just a rip-off. As mentioned by rdgrimes. www.rima.com has a superb reputation and sells authentic 8x Taiyo Yuden TYG02 DVD-R for $33+shipping. At most it should cost you $40 with shipping and these are considered to be some of the best discs out there. It's kinda like buying a Yugo, when for about the exact same price you could get a Mercedes Benz or BMW. That guy clearly made a killing off of those discs. As for shipping prices that is a bunch of crap. I can regularly get 100 packs of those TY from rima for $5-$6 shipped. Whether it be listing fees or shipping fees, it doesn't matter, with each passing day ebay's "deals" get worse and worse.
Jesterrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006   #49
MyCE Member

I do the Sharpie thing for DVD and CD backups,,,, I was told it was not a good idea to put labels on CD-s, as they can make the disc out of balance and not spin up right at times,,,,, any truth to that or is it an urban legend. Labels can make a backup look neater, maybe I just need to print better.
Win7 64 Bit
GTX-560 Nvidia Dis[lay

DVD CD Drives
ATAPI DVD DH160D3P ATTA Device
TSSTCDDVDW SH-S223Q ATTA Device
LiteOn CDRW LTR-48246S Flashed/LTR-52246S
PtownBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006   #50
MyCE Resident

Labels seem to have a number of issues...

1. Risk of upsetting balance, though the applicator should centre them nicely

2. Risk of misapplied label making the disk unusable

3. Risk of adhesive permeating the top layer

By far the greatest problem with labels is peeling/tearing, especially with slot loaders - it is better NEVER to apply a label to any disk to be used in a slot loader, as while the other problems are arguable, it is almost inevitable that a slot loader will eventually be jammed when it peels and snags the label.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote