Old 21-06-2003   #1
CD Freaks Junior Member

What cd marker is best for what media surface?

CD Media comes in different finishes on the top: painted silkscreen, unpainted shiny silver, frosted matte.

Those 3 are the main types one will encounter.

I have tried a Sharpie Fine Point, a TDK CD Mark (Ultra-Fine), A Staedtler CD Mark and a long ago pen since worn out.

The sharpies seem best only for shiny smooth surfaces.. on frosted surfaces I see a bit of bleed. They are ok on silkscreen too. The ink on this appears to apply deeply but as it dries you can slightly see a bit of 'fade' in the middle.

The TDK CD Mark seems best only on silkscreen and frosted, and terrible on shiny. Ink application deepness totally depends on the surface, some are better than others (silkscreen being best)..

The Staedtler which I can't seem to find on my desk and which has had it's tip ruined by someone who thought it was a normal pen and used it as such, seems to be good on all 3 surfaces based on looking at past discs from long ago. The ink on this from what I can see seems dark and rich.

There are other brands on the market now, like Memorex, etc. How do those compare?

I'm also wondering what colour people think is best. If the top of the CD is silver, do you prefer a nice blue, black or another color?
What if the CD surface is another colour like gold?

Also, what tip? I think the Sharpie fine point is too 'broad' while the TDK Ultra-Fine is a little too fine.. an in-between would be good.. from what I can see, I did have this in-between once.. It was my first pen that I don't remember the maker for, the Staedtler might be ok too maybe if someone doesn't ruin the tip.

The CD pen, the underappreciated part of burning.
Technarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2004   #2
CD Freaks Junior Member

Markers to Write on DVDs

I usually just write on top of my DVDs, but I just read that Sharpies aren't good to use for marking DVDs. Are there any alternatives?
John-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2004   #3
Retired Moderator

Sharpies are fine. Any alcohol based marker is harmless.
rdgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2004   #4
CD Freaks Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rdgrimes
Any alcohol based marker is harmless.
What's about water based markers?

Are they more safe to use or is it all the same?

Andy
WebTech Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2004   #5
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by WebTech Inc
What's about water based markers?

Are they more safe to use or is it all the same?

Andy
Guess it depends on whether you need it to be permanent. Yes, water is safe.
rdgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2004   #6
Administrator

Don't mind BoSkin---I don't think he can help it.

If you really want to be safe, just mark in the clear area in the center of the disk. But I really don't think you'll have problems with a sharpie anyway.
Kerry56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2004   #8
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Is the SHARPIE marker safe for writing on CD's?

Sanford has used SHARPIE markers on CDs for years and we have never experienced a problem.
We do not believe that the SHARPIE ink can affect these CDs, however we have not performed any long-term laboratory testing to verify this. We have spoken to many major CD manufacturers about this issue. They use the SHARPIE markers on CDs internally as well, and do not believe that the SHARPIE ink will cause any harm to their products.
BoSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004   #9
CD Freaks Junior Member

Can i write with a marker on top of 'Silver Shiny' Ritek?

I got bunch of these from meritline.com:

LinK

(25 Pack Genuine Ritek G04 1X-4X DVD-R (Silver Shiny) Blank Media 4.7GB for General Purpose DVDR Disc (Discs) $0.53 Each)

Now, they are silver at the top and purple in the bottom, so i am wondering if its ok to use a Redisharp marker or a sharpie to write on top (silver side) of these. Would that be alright?

Thanks.
sk545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004   #10
MyCE Resident Old Fart

Location: Diehard Old CDFreak Lurking In The Back Of Your Mind
Re: Can i write with a marker on top of 'Silver Shiny' Ritek?

Yo-

Look real close at the clear outer ring in the center - if it has a two digit like "GG" or "TG" plus six numbers and then opposite and on the other side a five digit code - then they are REAL Taiyo Yudens - if not they are fakes - Meritline is getting infamous for sending this crap to their customers - return them and buy your discs from www.rima.com or www.supermediastore.com - both very good vendors that do not send fakes to their customers-

And yes you can write (gently) on the top of the disc (I have used a Stanford sharpie marking pen for years on all my media - no problems)-

Mike

(Y) <- - - (a tribute to *someone*)

Brayden & Lil Burnits Proud Cyber Grampie - 'CERCA, TROVA' - 'NOVUS ORDO SECLORUM'

Work Computer = ZT Systems i7-2600 CPU w/32GB DDR3-1333 G. Skill Ripjaws X RAM/ Win7 Pro-sp1 /Crucial M500 480GB SSD @ SATA3 /Western Digital VelociRaptor 500GB Workstation HDD @ SATA3 /Corsair 650 watt PSU /Pioneer BDR-2207 as BD burner /Lite-On iHBS-112-04 as Reader/Ripper and BD Disc Quality Tester /Dell 27 inch S-IPS monitor w/LED backlight /XFX Radeon HD6870 w/2GB GDDR5RAM /Ashampoo Burning Studio 2012 /DVDFab 9

Burning Computer = HP xw8400 workstation w/ Two Xeon 5160, dual core, 3.0 mhz CPU's w/ 16gb PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM /Win7 Pro-sp1 /Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD /Western Digital Caviar Black 640gb w/64mb cache HDD /Corsair 850 watt psu / Optiarc AD-5280S-CB-PLUS w/v1.Z7 fw as Disc Burner and Disc Quality Tester /Optiarc AD-5280S-CB-PLUS w/v1.Z7 fw as Disc Reader/Ripper /ATi Radeon HD 5770 w/1gb GDDR5 Ram Videocard /HP 24" LCD /Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 /DVDFab 9

On The Shelf: (1) Benq 1640, (1)BenQ 1640 @EW168, Pioneer (2) 115D, (3) Optiarc 7200A, Optiarc 7260A, Asus DRW-24b1ST
bigmike7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2005   #11
CD Freaks Junior Member

Can I Write On This?

I have a 100-pack spindle of Taiyo Yuden TYG02 DVD-R discs and the tops of them are all clear, with no coating to write on.
Is it still possible to write on them with a 'Sharpie' and not damage the discs at all?

Also, what recommendations do you all have for dvd labeling? And are dvd labels safe to use?
I heard a few years ago that using labels on cd/dvd recordable media can damage them over time?

Here's a picture of the tops of my DVD-R Media:

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.
AuDi0pHiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2005   #12
CD Freaks Senior Member

Re: Can I Write On This?

Yes to the first question. DVD's are pretty well protected from damage, even without the coat of paint on the top.

You can put good quality labels on a good quality DVD. It will probably reduce the quality slightly, but as long as the disc is good and the label is dry before you apply it to the disc, you will notice no deterioation in playback.

I haved used hundreds of Photo Gloss Pressit labels with no ill effects, but you will find plenty of people that swear blind that DVD labelling is one of the worst ideas since the inflatable dartboard.
Dismembered Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2005   #13
New on Forum

Hi,
the DVDs and the labels have different thermal expansions. The more heat the more difference. In a lot of cases you'll get a DVD with an out-of-balance.
Another point is, that with upcoming heat the label might be separated.
If you wanrt label, why not directly on the DVD. There's lot of printable high quality DVDs. All you need is an appropriate printer like Canon's pixma 5000.

Hope I could help
Shakin
shakin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2005   #14
CD Freaks Junior Member

Good to know I can write on them! I've been putting Post-Its near the dvds to remind me what they are right now lol. Only thing I really don't like about dvd-r without the smooth finish on top is that if you just touch it in any way, your fingerprint sticks to it, and trying to rub it off seems to only make it worse. Are there any types of cloth that you can use on them to clean them without scratching the media?

I've thought about buying one of those burners that also can write labels on the disc. Those are 100% safe? It's called LightScribe isn't it? ...then again you have to buy a special type of disc too to use them.
AuDi0pHiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2005   #15
CD Freaks Senior Member

Lightscribe is alright, just takes a long time to burn the label onto the disc. Also it is only black and brown, no colours. And you have to pick an image with a lot of contrast otherwise the image is really washed out, even on the best setting.

Its a good technology but it requires some fine tuning. AT the moment I would suggest either Labels or Printable media and a nice printer like the Pixma or the R200.
Dismembered Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2005   #16
yxy
CD Freaks Junior Member

Do I need special marker for DVDR media as for CDR?

Hi
I have been using special markers (TDK, Memorex) to write on my CDR media. I read somehow the recording/reflection layers of CDR media is pretty much right on the top.

I realize these critical layers in DVDR media seems to be better protected? So can I just use a regular permanent marker (much cheaper and easier to find than those special ones)? This will not hurt the lifetime of my media?
yxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2005   #17
MyCE Senior Member

Re: Do I need special marker for DVDR media as for CDR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yxy
Hi
I have been using special markers (TDK, Memorex) to write on my CDR media. I read somehow the recording/reflection layers of CDR media is pretty much right on the top.

I realize these critical layers in DVDR media seems to be better protected? So can I just use a regular permanent marker (much cheaper and easier to find than those special ones)? This will not hurt the lifetime of my media?

Dont waste your money on special markers anymore. Buy any permanent marker (I prefer Sharpies as do many others) and you can use that on any cd (including silver generics) and dvds. The sharpies ink will come right off if you put rubbing alcohol on it so there should be no fear of damaging the disc.

DVDs the media layer itself is sandwiched between 2 transparent plastic discs. You could deliberately scratch the top of the disc and so long as the top layer isnt punctured you will have no damage to the data at all.
max_clif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2005   #18
yxy
CD Freaks Junior Member

thanks a lot. I just finished my 4 pack markers bought 4 years ago.
Will go with the cheap Sharpies! 99c/4pack from Staples
yxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2005   #19
MyCE Junior Member

Does the sharpie ink dry fast enough to label a disk and put it (upside down) on the stack (5 second dry time). I didn't feel comfortable putting the ink right next to the data surface of the adjacent disk so quick, so now I flip the pack upside down first and number them backwards and this leaves about 30 seconds of dry time.
Is this being paranoid ?

If ink did smear onto the data side of the disk above, then can you use rubbing alchohol on the data side of the dvd, or is it just for the label side?
Achant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2005   #20
MyCE Resident

Interesting questions!

Dry time: personnaly I'm on the paranoïd side too - I'd do the same.

Rubbing alcohol: it's actually very difficult not to scratch the data side when cleaning it. I tried cotton but it still leaves (slight) scratches. Best for me is chamois leather.

I have to disagree with Max_clif about CDs, though, I've had problems with Sharpies/permanent markers on CDs. Many were unusable after 12-14 months.
Now I use a special CD marker and everything seems fine. Sharpies/markers are OK for DVDs though, as the data layer is under 0.6 mm of plastic, unlike CDs.
Old 14-07-2005   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_clif
Dont waste your money on special markers anymore. Buy any permanent marker (I prefer Sharpies as do many others) and you can use that on any cd (including silver generics) and dvds. The sharpies ink will come right off if you put rubbing alcohol on it so there should be no fear of damaging the disc.

DVDs the media layer itself is sandwiched between 2 transparent plastic discs. You could deliberately scratch the top of the disc and so long as the top layer isnt punctured you will have no damage to the data at all.
Yup, Sharpie's work great and are probably the most cost effective method out there for labeling.
Jesterrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2005   #22
New on Forum

Sharpies are great. My CD's are about 9 or10 years old.

In those days the cheap CD's media was awful and didn't last long.
All my Gold Sony's from then are still good.

Think about this - how can something dry and chemically stable eat thru plastic ?
Inks dry in seconds, else it would smear and be useless in a pen.
zleepy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005   #23
MyCE Senior Member

You can use rubbing alcohol on any part of hte disc without fear of damage.. unless the disc has ink prints that might rub off from the alcohol.

I use it on the bottom and on top of cds without problem.

I usually give it 20 secs before trying to test if the ink has dried
max_clif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005   #24
MyCE Senior Member

Chemically stable depends on the environment. Water in a glass is chemically stable. Pour it over a chunk of pure sodium (not sodium chloride) and it's a different matter entirely.

A given ink may or may not be chemically stable on DVD or CD substrate. It depeneds on what's in the ink, and what's in the substrate.
BenQ DW1620a (B7W9)
LG GSA-4163B (A106)
NEC ND-6500A (in my notebook PC) (2.24)
CyberDrive DX082d (150B)
BenQ CRW5232
TDK VeloCD USB 2.0 external
Yamaha CRW-8824E (1.0a)
Ricoh 6201S SCSI
PhotoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005   #25
CD Freaks Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zleepy2

Think about this - how can something dry and chemically stable eat thru plastic ?
With CDs you are not writing on the plastic, you are writing directly on the back if the media. If you doubt this, take a knife and scratch the top of a CD and then try and read it.

This is not the case with DVD nor with some very rare older CDs that were sandwiched between plastic.
1969 is offline   Reply With Quote