Old 22-01-2007   #1
New on Forum

Formatting DVD+RW using Nero and compatibility with DVD Recorder

Firstly, apologies if this question has been asked before

I am burning some .avi files onto a Sony DVD+RW disc using Nero Express. This formats the disc, then burns the files. However when I try to play the disc on my Panasonic DVD Recorder/Player I get a message saying the disc is not formatted properly.

I have also tried first formatting the discs on the DVD Recorder and then burning the files on my pc, but still get the same message when I put the disc back in the player.

Using Nero Express 7 on Windows XP.

Is there a compatiblity issue, would both recorders use different formatting?

Any help appreciated
moshpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Formatting DVD+RW using Nero and compatibility with DVD Recorder

I doubt that your standalone is capable or playing AVI files anyway.

Which model is it?

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007   #3
Retired Moderator

Panasonic recorders have special problems with DVD+RWs
see: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=206872

two Scintific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVRs
New home built Asus mainboard,AMD Phenom II X4 3.0Ghz, 8Gb Ram, 2x 1Tb HDD, 2 DVD burners, Sapphire Vapor-x video card.
Acer Aspire 6530G 16" (820Gb total HDD space) on a wireless home network
Asus Eee PC 1000HE 10.1" (upgraded to 2Gb Ram and 320Gb HDD, Asus external DVD burner)
DVD Burners: Liteon: SHW-160P6S, 165H6SLH-20A1P, LH-18A1P; Sony DRU-120C, AWQ170A-B2
DVD Players: Panasonic 2x DVD S52, DVD S1; Philips DVP5140/37DVP642/17, Magnavox MWD200G

Others: WD, Roku, kworld Media Players, Plextor ConvertX PX-M402U, Toshiba VCRs W808 SVHS, W704 VHS
click here to become a member of cdfreaks.com
CCRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007   #4
New on Forum

it does play .avi files, I have played them through DVD-R plenty of times with no trouble. The thing is I usually only watch them once so was looking for a medium that I could erase and use over again

thanks for that CCRomeo, thats quite annoying but seems there's not a lot I can do about it
Old 23-01-2007   #5
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit77
Firstly, apologies if this question has been asked before

I am burning some .avi files onto a Sony DVD+RW disc using Nero Express. This formats the disc, then burns the files. However when I try to play the disc on my Panasonic DVD Recorder/Player I get a message saying the disc is not formatted properly.

I have also tried first formatting the discs on the DVD Recorder and then burning the files on my pc, but still get the same message when I put the disc back in the player.

Using Nero Express 7 on Windows XP.

Is there a compatiblity issue, would both recorders use different formatting?

Any help appreciated
Quote:
it does play .avi files, I have played them through DVD-R plenty of times with no trouble. The thing is I usually only watch them once so was looking for a medium that I could erase and use over again

thanks for that CCRomeo, thats quite annoying but seems there's not a lot I can do about it
Actually, standalone DVD players cannot play back anything on burned DVDs which had been formatted using packet writing software. That issue sounds like the Nero Express program picked InCD instead of Nero Burning ROM for rewritable DVDs by default. Those .avi files can only be played back on your standalone DVD player when the disc is mastered and finalized, not formatted using packet-writing software.
RJL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007   #6
MyCE Resident

My new Pioneer recorder plays divx files but only on DVD-RAM, DVD+-R and DVD-RW. It doesn't recognise them on DVD+RW.
Sounds a similar problem to yours but as I've got DVD-RAM & DVD-RW is not a real issue.
TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007   #7
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJL65
Actually, standalone DVD players cannot play back anything on burned DVDs which had been formatted using packet writing software. That issue sounds like the Nero Express program picked InCD instead of Nero Burning ROM for rewritable DVDs by default. Those .avi files can only be played back on your standalone DVD player when the disc is mastered and finalized, not formatted using packet-writing software.
But if I first format the disc in my DVD recorder, then burn the files on using my pc, shouldn't this get around the packet writing software problem?
Old 25-01-2007   #8
MyCE Resident

Quote:
But if I first format the disc in my DVD recorder, then burn the files on using my pc, shouldn't this get around the packet writing software problem?
Nope. Once formatted on a DVD recorder, you cannot burn that DVD+RW disc on a PC - only erase it. I've tried it myself, and failed to succeed. The only thing I could do is erase the disc. All burning - including initialization and formatting - must be done on the same type of unit (in other words, once you format a disc on a DVD recorder, you must use the DVD recorder to record on that disc).
RJL65 is offline   Reply With Quote