Old 05-09-2006   #1
New on Forum

Does burning speed affect CD lifespan?

I'm wanting to get the forum's opinion on this. I've had a few friends argue me to the ground that if a CD is burned at a slower rate, such as 2x or 4x, that it will last longer than one burned at a higher speed such as 48x.

They claim that the data "sticks" better when burned at a lower speed because the drive "took its time" burning the data. This sounds really ridiculous to me. Although they're not the most technically advanced bunch either.

I'm looking for a more informed group of opinions on this to verify this question.

Thanks,
James
Pendragon445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #2
Retired Moderator & Reviewer

Re: Does burning speed affect CD lifespan?

Hi Pendragon445. Moved this thread to the Blank media forum where you may get more replies.
Click here to join Myce.com
crossg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #3
CD Freaks Boy Toy

This isn't true. Most high speed certified CD media is optimized for higher speeds - even more so with DVD.
The jitter may be lower with CLV burning, but that's it.
I would however prefer 32x over 48x or 52x burning.

Facebook page: Say NO to overpriced books in Germany

My collection:
Plextor PX-716UF 1.09 (TLA #0202), Optiarc AD-7200A 1.06, Samsung SE-S224Q TS02, Plextor PX-712UF 1.04 (TLA #0104), Plextor PX-708UF2 1.02 (TLA #0102), Optiarc AD-7200A 1.06, Plextor PX-716UF 1.07 (TLA #0307), Lite-On LH-18A1H HL05, Philips JackRabbit JR32RWDVK P1.3, Philips JackRabbit JR24CDRW 1.01, LG GH22NP20 2.00, Matshita UJ-898 HC10, Lite-On LH-20A1H LL0D, Plextor PX-716UF 1.11 (TLA #0204), LG GSA-H22N 1.00, Plextor PX-716A 1.09 (TLA #0309)
+ Plextor PX-716A 1.09 (TLA #0309), BenQ DW1655 BCDB, Samsung TS-L632B TM31, Lite-On LTR-16101B TS0W
Lite-On SHM-165P6SU MS0P (mechanical failure), Plextor PX-708UF2 1.?? (TLA #0102) (DVD optical part died), LG GSA-H10N @ H12N UJ12 (broken tray), BenQ DW1650 BCIC (sold), Lite-On SHW-16H5S @ 1635S YS0Z (lost in a fire), LG GCE-8527B 1.04 (optical part died), Samsung TS-L632H SC04 (sold), Canon Pixma iP4300 (printer head broken)
kg_evilboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006   #4

Not unless he is using really crappy quality media. If the media is of decent quality then you are actually better off burning at the max rated speed.
Jesterrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006   #5
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterrace
If the media is of decent quality then you are actually better off burning at the max rated speed.
Sorry Jesterrace (Hi ), but this is IMO just as incorrect as saying the opposite, "the slower the better" (which is just a myth with absolutely no sound background, unless one goes back to the time of 4X-8X rated CDRs and the burners at that time).

Whatever the media, there is always a speed at which it gives, in a given drive/firmware, its best results. It's never the maximum speed in my experience (nor is it the slowest speed). Most modern CDRs (40X to 52X rated) are at their best when burned around 24X-32X, and if jitter is considered as important, around 12X-24X.

Where I agree with you, though, is that for most users, these considerations are useless. Premium Verbatim CDRs (just an example) burnt at max speed give most satisfying results.

@the original poster: lots of guys will give you such advice as your friends', though they generally don't know what they're talking about, and are just repeating something another friend told them (or that they've read around the net). The truth is that the lifespan of a disc has much more to do with its inherent quality (use premium discs), the storing and the handling, than with the burning speed. There is actually a kernel of truth in it, as higher burning speeds produce more jitter, something that could (could) impact the dye's structure stability, but nowadays with most (good) burners and (good) media, actual jitter is not higher @24X burning than @2X burning.

If you really want to be on the safe side, burn good discs (with Taiyo Yuden, MCC or Maxell mediacodes) @16X-@24X in a good CDR burner (Plextor, NEC, LG) and you're good.
Old 06-09-2006   #6
CD Freaks Media Expert

I only will say that burning at max speed will not give you the best results.

If slower is better or if there is a optimum condition can be debated. I've seen evidence for both theories.
Fact is that defenders of the optimum theory can allways say the slow speed that worked so well was actually the optimum.

Open your eyes. Just say what you want to say?
Open your eyes, you see yours isn’t the only way .
Open your eyes. To you everyone is blind.
Open your eyes and your mind.
dakhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006   #7
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakhaas
I've seen evidence for both theories.
The only evidence I ever found for "the slower the better" was from the 8X rated CDRs era. If you actually know some data that can be applied to high-speed media and burners, I'm all ears! My own testing shows it's not true with my own media and burners. When burning slower than 12X with 40-52X rated discs, only my TY discs don't have an increase in C1. And jitter in not higher @24X (in NEC 3540/4550 and Plexwriter 24/10/40A), once again except with my TY discs. So much for the superiority of TY CDR, BTW.
Quote:
Fact is that defenders of the optimum theory can allways say the slow speed that worked so well was actually the optimum.
Uh uh. that's twisted.
I could as well put it this way :
"Fact is that defenders of the slow speed theory can always say the slow speed that worked so well is the best one because the max speed is worse" (which means they haven't even tried nor actually tested intermediate speeds )
Which is just as twisted.

Last edited by Wizzu; 06-09-2006 at 18:19.
Wizzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006   #8
MyCE Member

I would definitely say quality media makes a big difference. For example, I have an old 8x CMC (scan here) that is obviously not so good, and at the same time I have Taiyos from that same time that would have been burnt at 12x at the fastest that still scan as good as pretty much anything I've seen.
slinko is offline   Reply With Quote