Old 31-05-2002   #1
Banned

The best and worst cdrs

the best cdrs are Verbatims and TDK, well basically the best cdrs are azo or cyanine cdrs. they can survive through scratches and last long even when handled poorley. the worst cdrs are phthalocyanine cdrs which look light green or goldish in dye colour. kodak are a good example of the worst cdrs, they suck real bad and anyone who says they are good are senseless morons. kodak are like your average shit brand cdr but have a kodak logo and state that they are excellent quality! do not get riped off or sucked into crap cdrs because they are cheap, get TDK or Verbatim Azo cdrs, no green crap cdrs. people who say kodak work better just have weak cdr drives and burn at stupid speeds like 20-40x !!! take my advice and believe it!
god of burning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2002   #2
Retired Senior Admin

During many years have I been burning CD's, I've done all sorts of crazy test. Tried shitloads of different brands......

And my conclusion is The old Real Kodak gold discs is the best discs ever made. They last long and have very good compatibility with different readers and writers. Even if they are only 4/8X certified they still work 100% at 32X recording......

Have I had a kodak disc going bad? No, never!! the oldest is from '96 and still works like a charm....

Have I had a Verbatim DataLifePlus MetalAZO disc going bad? Yes, several of my 4X and 8X discs do not work anymore, they developed some darker spots and became unreadable or the top peeled off.

Have I had a TY disc gone bad? No in fact not, they seems to be very good quality, I agree on that one...

Have I had a prodisc phthalocyanine disc gone bad? No, never and I used the first of these in '98 when they was only 4X certified.

Have I had a ??? cyanine disc gone bad? Yes, many of various brands like: Lead data, hitachi maxell, fornet, mmm&m, ritek, gigastorage, CMC magnetics and many others.

Have I had a ??? phthalocyanine disc gone bad? Yes, but not many. The only discs I could remember going bad was the first ritek type 5 phthalocyanine discs, the top peeled off.

You may argue as much as you want but you can't change my opinion at least.....
Old 01-06-2002   #3
Banned

well my own experience with phtholocyanine cdrs has been bad and my azo cdrs have worked excellently. so i guess if your cdwriter works best with phtholocyanine than stick to it. but most cdrw drives have less probs with long strategy cdrs like azo and cyanine cdrs.
Old 03-06-2002   #4
Retired Senior Admin

And I was not talking about 1 brand of writers only. Tested brands:

Mitsumi
Plextor
Lite-On
Acer
Philips
Sony
Hp
AOpen
Waitec
Brainvawe

from 4X to 48X, beside TY(cyanine) most phthalocyanine discs seems to work better.
Old 03-06-2002   #5
CD Freaks Member

Best and worst

The worst CD-Rs are the most expensive ones I've purchased and the best ones have been the least expensive ones I've purchased.

My experience is that since burning software has become so reliable, especially with the burn proof features and the newer CD writers becoming so standardized, that I haven't found any difference in the functional use of CR-Rs and go strickly by price.

I believe that anyone paying more than .50 per CD-R is making a non-tax free donation to the CD-R company and rewarding their marketing department.

Jolo (Jon)
jolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002   #6
Banned

Re: Best and worst

jolo, you are a poof...... just kidding man

ive never heard anyone say the cheaper cdrs are beter than more expensive ones.

at many other forums i go to, people say that buring slower and using verbatims and TDKs is the best combination.
but for some reason at this forum, everyone says faster is better and cheap cdrs (pthalo) are the best. what gives
Old 04-06-2002   #7
CD Freaks Member

Best and Worst CDs

Welll G of B, ,

I've seen TDK being both the worst and the best on these forums. Even the "ledgendary" Kodak listed here as the best and worst.

For my personal experience, it appears that since the software has improved so much and the newer drives are less senstive to "brands" , I can burn whatever the heck I throw in my burner.

My opinion is that alledged "quality" of CD-R media has become a less and less important factor for now. I look at what's on sale at Sam's Club, Compusa, Circuit City, Wal-Mart, etc as well as reliable mail order houses.
Old 05-06-2002   #8
CD Freaks Junior Member

Re: Best and Worst CDs

Quote:
Originally posted by jolo

My opinion is that alledged "quality" of CD-R media has become a less and less important factor for now. I look at what's on sale at Sam's Club, Compusa, Circuit City, Wal-Mart, etc as well as reliable mail order houses. [/B]
I agree - these places just want to make a profit - they dont give a damn about stocking quality CD-R's because people are always looking for the cheapest prices. So they stock 1000's of Memorex, Imations, PNY and TDK because they can "move" them. Im just glad most of these places stock Fuji's and Sony's, I just wish they put them on sale more often!

Most store clerks dont know a thing about CD-R's. I had one CompUSA clerk (female) told me that generic no-name CD-R's were the highest quality 'because they dont have a printed label that can corrupt the disk!". duh........

It seems every company makes bad batches of CD-R's because they are cranking out thousands and thousands daily. So when someone gets a bad Kodak or Taiyo CD-R and then tells everyone here and on other forums they are the worst CD-Rs they have ever used, I take it with a grain of salt (whatever that means!)

BillyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002   #9
CD Freaks Member

End fo quality

Quote:
I agree - these places just want to make a profit - they dont give a damn about stocking quality CD-R's because people are always looking for the cheapest prices.
Just to generalize on this conversation. I have seen the same thing happen in the computer industry and other electronics industries. But the culprit I feel is not the stores, but the customers. For example, most customers are not willing to pay 30% more for "quality" PC parts, therefore what is put out is basically crap.

There is enormous pressure as well on companies that make computers, etc, to get their product out to the market as quickly and cheaply as possibly.

I've also noticed that "technical support" is getting to be a thing of the past. In order to cut corners, companies are relying on forums like this one or a usually useless FAQ to do support for them. Just can't offord the price of quality service or product anymore.
Old 11-06-2002   #10
CD Freaks Junior Member

There are goods and bads

In my journey across the burning landscape I've tried many many brands of cdr. And actually there are ones who are very good, on the reading above all, because I've never had any problem when writting one, I guess almost no one has.
My experience has told me that the worst cdr are no-branded, they usually begin to have darker spots after a few months of being recorded, you can get these for only .20C USD approx. here in Mexico.
A branded one I have tested and is bad, is old LG, I recorded some ones two years ago and they are starting to show dark spots. Kodaks are... mmm... not too good, they usually have problems when being read by older cd-players, which others don't, they are fast when read by a pc, but there is that compatibility issue.
Ones I have tested and very good results are colored Samsung, which are supposed to be manufactured by Prodisc, very good compatibility, reading, look cool, etc... Memorex have a great compatibility. Old 8x Azo Verbatim have some trouble with bad drives like Rodeo (these drives has no problems with other brands), otherwise they work perfectly. Sony are good. Pionner have great compatibility too! Melody are real bad, they have compatibility issues too, above all with real bad drives like Creative Infra (real real bad drives).
My conclusion is:
Since almost everyone has average and good drives and because of the expectations of the cd lifetime, always buy Samsung if possible, else buy anything but LG, Melody, Kodak, and no-branded.
Old 11-06-2002   #11
CD Freaks Junior Member

Re: There are goods and bads

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowBlaster
My conclusion is:
Since almost everyone has average and good drives and because of the expectations of the cd lifetime, always buy Samsung if possible, else buy anything but LG, Melody, Kodak, and no-branded.
I guess Kodak CD-Rs are different there than the ones they sell/sold in the USA - I have bought many of them and they always have wrote fine and my older ones have lasted 4 years now.

Never heard of Melody - who makes them?
Old 11-06-2002   #12
CD Freaks Junior Member

Re: End fo quality

Quote:
Originally posted by jolo

I've also noticed that "technical support" is getting to be a thing of the past. In order to cut corners, companies are relying on forums like this one or a usually useless FAQ to do support for them. Just can't offord the price of quality service or product anymore.
I agree - the more computers become a part of everyday life and prices for hardware continues to drop down to where anyone can afford it - the quality of tech support will be as good as the tech support you can get now for... your toaster.

I think in 10-15 years we will be laughing about how "high tech" our Athlons and P-III's were. Just like my freinds do about thier Trash 80's, Apple // 's and Commodore 64's now.
Old 12-06-2002   #13
CD Freaks Junior Member

Melody

Melody discs are manufacturated by a weird company named EverReach Tecnology Corp. or something like that
Old 12-06-2002   #14
CD Freaks Junior Member

Re: Melody

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowBlaster
Melody discs are manufacturated by a weird company named EverReach Tecnology Corp. or something like that
They are another Taiwanese company, yawn:
http://www.melodymedia.net/english.htm

Here in the USA, CMC, Ritek and (thankfully) Taiyo Uden rule the shelves.
Old 14-01-2011   #15

Cyanine is the least affective type of cdr media to withstand from sunlight damage. phthalocyanine cdrs are a little better with a cost of a little signal loss of the laser of your burner at the cost of that disc protection and durability and Azo cdrs take the uv protection twice as far so I guess you can see where that goes and my only conclusion as the higher you go up this chain the slower you should burn the disc.
I think that cd-r choice is mostly based on how and where you use them and the whole whatever your disk burner gets along with. Compatibility that is. Yeah.. obviously more important than your average example like, "Well it says it is made for music may not be any different only 5 dollars more a pack.. what the hell?
With burning music to play on my stereo I burn each set of songs or albums in appropriate accordance to how much I will enjoy listening to it.. the more I like the slower the better... it will be a little more of an efficient recording the slower you burn. While I'm at it here is a link to a page that has tips for better sounding cds. Very interesting stuff. http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/CD_tweaks.html Thanks for reading
ekolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011   #16

Re: The best and worst cdrs

Quote:
3. Make 6 black or green lines on top of the CD a little less than one quarter inch wide. These lines run from the center of the CD to the edge (you are dividing the CD into six pieces of pie). You can still read the label with these lines. I got this idea from the Marigo Crossbow mat with it’s three wider lines. The spinning black lines really make a difference. You might experiment with other amounts of lines (3-8). Let me know what you think. More lines might work better or worse with the faster spinning DVD’s. You can also blacken the whole top of the CD but then you cannot read the label....(however, you can write the title with a white marker over the black). Blacking the entire top gives the best sound.
Quote:
6. Demagnetize the CD with a bulk eraser, one of the audiophile demagnetizers or the Walker Talisman. Works great but you must do this every time you play.
Do you really believe it works?
Welcome to the forum, BTW.
I am looking for rare and old 1-4x media (MIDs: VIVASTAR, OMP 4KG001, REC001, AUVISTAR M01, SHT001, VDSPMSAB 004-001, POSGxx, VANGUARD, OCTOPLUS, 3AM0201, SMMR01, Yi Jhan 001, SKYMEDIA R01, Prodisc's and CMC Magnetics' DVD-RAMs, Beall's and Prodisc's 4,85 GB DVDs, any Authoring DVD-Rs, any 63 min and old CD-Rs ) and any "Made in Europe" DVDRs. Send me a PM if you could help me.[
By Grabthar's hammer, by the sons of Warvan, you shall be avenged!
pepst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011   #17

I would not know about those techniques, because I never have tried them. I have used a black Sharpie marker on the edges of some cds (inside rim and out) and applied static inhibitor on the label side of discs and also applied an acclaimed cd treatment on the playing sides and every time I did these things I did all three and that was my method. Every time I applied my tweaks I noticed better clarity, more weight a depth to the sound overall better disc performance and less noise out of my dvd player while playing cds and dvds. I don't pay much attention to every little recommendation or even consider a lot of tweaks. But those seemed like it would be beneficial. They have been. And I am not the only one to say so in this household.
ekolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011   #18

I have a Kodak CD-R Ultima gold, it's never been used and the date is 1999 (Made in ireland) on the back. Not sure what i should do with it, are they still good by today's standards?
jimftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011   #19

Re: The best and worst cdrs

If it was storaged properly, it should still be perfectly usable.
Old Kodak Gold CD-Rs were one of the best CD-R media ever made.
I am looking for rare and old 1-4x media (MIDs: VIVASTAR, OMP 4KG001, REC001, AUVISTAR M01, SHT001, VDSPMSAB 004-001, POSGxx, VANGUARD, OCTOPLUS, 3AM0201, SMMR01, Yi Jhan 001, SKYMEDIA R01, Prodisc's and CMC Magnetics' DVD-RAMs, Beall's and Prodisc's 4,85 GB DVDs, any Authoring DVD-Rs, any 63 min and old CD-Rs ) and any "Made in Europe" DVDRs. Send me a PM if you could help me.[
By Grabthar's hammer, by the sons of Warvan, you shall be avenged!
pepst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepst View Post
If it was storaged properly, it should still be perfectly usable.
Old Kodak Gold CD-Rs were one of the best CD-R media ever made.
Yea, it was stored sealed for years in a computer shelf full of cd's dvd's etc, i only opened it to check if there was any damage to the disc or plastic etc. I don't wanna burn anything to it though , it's like a work of art compared to other CD-r's, it looks so nice.
jimftr is offline   Reply With Quote