Old 04-06-2009   #1
MyCE Resident

Best way to store large amounts of DVDs?

Basically, I'm looking for a way to store 600 odd DVD-Rs. I bought a storage chest but the problem is that when I put a new DVD in there I have to shift everything along, because it's alphabetically stored so it's more trouble than it's worth.

Would it be safe to keep burned DVDs in cake boxes? I'm told that DVD-Rs have to be kept on their side (vertical) to last properly as opposed to flat (horizontal), which would be the cake tub standing up. Would this be the case if they're all packed against each other?

What do you guys do? Thanks for any help.
SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #2
New on Forum

Re: Best way to store large amounts of DVDs?

I have a very similar question. I have around the same number of DVD-rs, and would like to know the best storage method. I've done some searching around for a thread about the best way to do this, but can't find a definitive answer. Here's what I've been able to gather about the most popular methods.

Cakeboxes
pros
-very likely contained the blank media when bought, so no extra purchase needed
-compact
-great protectors against dust

cons
-risk warping from weight
-don't protect from sunlight
-finding discs is not an easy task

Jewel or Slimline Cases
pros
-probably best protectors against dust and sunlight
-little to no warp risk from weight

cons
-can get very pricey very quickly
-take up a lot of room
-requires labeling of each case for easy organization (which can be a pain if switching to this method and one already has labeled all the discs)

Polyboxes/DJ Cases
pros
-protects well against sunlight, don't have to worry about warping due to weight
-space-efficient

cons
-uses individual sleeve storage which scratch up discs very easily, especially if sleeves are of poor quality

Wallets
pros
-easy to find desired disc

cons
-risk warping from weight (would this be a problem if stored vertically?)
-depending on how wallet is made, could be poor protector against dust

For the sake of convenience, space, and money, I'm leaning toward wallets stored so the discs are vertical to avoid weight/warp issues. Am I missing something that should place another storage method higher up than this?

I have one Case Logic wallet that I find very well-designed, but is also full - there are many more temporarily stored in cakeboxes that need a better home, though, and I want to make sure I'm storing them right.

Also, I don't mean to bump an old thread, but I figure it's better to use this existing thread rather than creating a new one, since there's a higher chance of SG seeing it answered (assuming SG checks Control Panel and posted threads show up in it).
keelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #3
SG
MyCE Resident

Hey, thanks for the very informative post. The problem that I have with large storage cases is that the storage is always 2-sided (2 to a wallet), so if you want to insert a new DVD you can't just pop it inbeween the others if you order them (which you'd have to be bonkers not to, it'd be chaos!).

What about those plastic envelopes and just shelving them? These: http://www.svp.co.uk/consumables/cas...0-sleeves.html

They'd take up about the same amount of space as a cake tub (i.e. no bulky cases, just a thin piece of film) - can they harm the disc?
Old 11-07-2009   #4
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

^ I have one set of my archives (TY discs) stores in those wallets in small boxes....after a good 3-4 years they seem fine ...if you have any concerns though, scan/TRT them every 6 months or so to check for any deterioration.

I use the wallets from Asda though, they seem to be better quality. And easier for me to get!

Another set is on Verbatim DVD media, stored in a binder. Again these have been just fine for 3-4 years - in fact, I've just finished testing the Verbatim set, with not one dodgy disc so far.

I also keep the entire backup on an external 1TB WD HDD. Paranoid, moi?

How to delete your upper and lower filters : How to check/enable DMA by Womble

Click here to join MyCE.com and be part of our friendly community!

Smile...people will wonder what you're up to
Arachne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009   #5
MyCE Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
^I also keep the entire backup on an external 1TB WD HDD. Paranoid, moi?
If you're loaded (have cash) you can buy one of those snazzy mechanical storage box that connects to your PC and if you tell it to, it will pick the correct disc from inside the box and present it to you. One thing you gotta ask is: if the whole thing broke, are your discs going to be stuck inside there, or getting scratched or burned to death or whichever haha

A lot of ppl these days are using HDDs instead of burning stuff into discs for backup ....... I'm still using discs but my Liteon 20A1 have started to fail and storing tons of discs makes things hard to find at the right time i think. I might switch to HDD backup.
sorensen721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009   #6
New on Forum

I've built up a large collection of TV/films (nearly 3000 discs) and I use lots of Datasafe zipped 80-pocket holders - they have smooth plastic faces and slide easily on each other when stored on bookshelves. Bought from SVP in Devon over the years.
beemacdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #7
MyCE Resident

I have found Cakeboxes are not a good place to keep your media, even more so if you need to get access to it often.

Soft folders/cases are very good when you find the well made ones with the sleeves made from the right stuff (not all shiny/glossy plastic, the so called fabric backing is what I have found to be better for the life of the disk) but the main point to remember is not to over fill them, I get 120 DVD ones with a stiff binder back with removable sleeves and fill to 80~90 max, and do not zip them up fully some I have found seem to warp the disk if zipped up and left for some time.
Best way is to store them up right in a covered draw, box or chest.

Cloth Lined PVC Sleeves For Two Discs This is the cheap way (cheapest I have found that works well), and also turns out to be a very good and easy to catalogue them because they have two holes punched in the sides they can go in ring binders, or I use "treasury tags" to put thru the holes to keep sets (say a set of OS backup images) together and then store in covered boxes (like a shoe box) or even plain boxes. I have card markers between them and I use some catalogue tools on the computers that give me the box number and stack number (I mark the sets low at front, high back) where inside, so say box 5 stack 5 and I can get to the bunch very quickly.

I also have a few of the DJ type alloy boxes but TBH I gave up on them, they will cost a lot of money when the numbers really stack up. I must have 10,000 odd disks catalogued away and almost that again in the process.
But its all down to the numbers you have and how often you need to get to them, and I expect how much money you want to spend.
DVD/jewel type cases are great for small numbers, I use these for my DVD RW's where the data gets used often and quite short lived, the soft folder cases for the stuff that gets used often and has to be moved around, and the boxes and sleeves for the main storage, and just burn to RW if the data needs to go off site.

Its not perfect but the best way I have found for larger numbers that you need to be able to get hold of them quickly without having to handle the media too much.
DFI LP RDX200 CF-DR Athlon 4200x2 (LDBFE) Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 2 GB G.SKILL HZ's, x1650XT 24Pipe, Raptor 150GB, 1TB Hitachi DS x4, 320GB Hitachi DS x2 Corsair HX 620 in Eclipse 62, LG GSA H42N - Lite0n SOHW-832S - NEC ND-3550A - Asus CRW-5232A Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 200
Lenny_Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorensen721 View Post
If you're loaded (have cash) you can buy one of those snazzy mechanical storage box that connects to your PC and if you tell it to, it will pick the correct disc from inside the box and present it to you. One thing you gotta ask is: if the whole thing broke, are your discs going to be stuck inside there, or getting scratched or burned to death or whichever haha

A lot of ppl these days are using HDDs instead of burning stuff into discs for backup ....... I'm still using discs but my Liteon 20A1 have started to fail and storing tons of discs makes things hard to find at the right time i think. I might switch to HDD backup.
Yeah, that's why I use both discs + HDD to backup. Obviously nothing's foolproof, but I'm hoping 2 sets of CD/DVD media and the HDD might offer me some chance of saving something

That storage box you mentioned sounds pretty funky. My step-dad (a DJ who loves his music) would love that

Old 12-07-2009   #9
MyCE Rookie

Quote:
Yeah, that's why I use both discs + HDD to backup. Obviously nothing's foolproof, but I'm hoping 2 sets of CD/DVD media and the HDD might offer me some chance of saving something

That storage box you mentioned sounds pretty funky. My step-dad (a DJ who loves his music) would love that
Wow you aren't kidding when it comes to backup

Here's the thing I mentioned
http://www.centurycdtech.com/

Regards
Old 12-07-2009   #10
CD Freaks Senior Member

I use zipped wallets for 24 discs & store them vertically in a cupboard so discs are proected from dust & light

I have been finding, however, that sometimes a Dvd which has been in storage unplayed for 2 - 3 years then gives a CRC error when I try to copy it back onto to my PC hard drive & that is with Verbatim DVD+R or DVD-R media, rated at 16x burned at 8x. Usually they wil still work in a stand alone DVD player but there does seem to be some deterioration over time ( unless I did not burn/verify them properly in the 1st place! ).

So I try to keep valuable stuff on external hard drives also
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorensen721 View Post
Wow you aren't kidding when it comes to backup

Here's the thing I mentioned
http://www.centurycdtech.com/

Regards
Whoa, certainly looks pricey. It's even password protected!

Pretty sleek-looking though

Old 12-07-2009   #12
New on Forum

I use leather cases with cloth lined sleeves that hold 4 DVDs to each side. This is basically like a huge notebook. They come in various sizes but the big ones can hold several hundred DVDs.

This is the most space efficient way to stone the discs, but there is one other HUGE advantage to this method that other posters haven't mentioned. This is the best way to BROWSE your collection. If you are like me you will have friends over and will want to watch a movie so you will need to browse your collection. that is very hard to do with DVDs in slim cases, or boxes. With these books you can browse your discs very quickly, Each time you turn the page you see 8 DVDs. You can have different cases for different genres of movies or organize them however you want.
roperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG View Post
Hey, thanks for the very informative post. The problem that I have with large storage cases is that the storage is always 2-sided (2 to a wallet), so if you want to insert a new DVD you can't just pop it inbeween the others if you order them (which you'd have to be bonkers not to, it'd be chaos!).
I use the large storage cases but only the 1 side, May seem like a waste but I feel more comfortable that way.

I also have 5 of the storage machines which are very nice but they are pricey.
I get 150 disc in them ,but I get 250 in my storage case at 1 fifth of the price of the machine.

Forum Rules: http://club.myce.com/f34/announcemen...uidelines.html

GO TEAM GO Fold for team 13505 http://folding.stanford.edu/

Help us save some lives by joining the Distributed Computing Teams : F@H or WGC or BOTH
bean55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009   #14
SG
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean55 View Post
I use the large storage cases but only the 1 side, May seem like a waste but I feel more comfortable that way.

I also have 5 of the storage machines which are very nice but they are pricey.
I get 150 disc in them ,but I get 250 in my storage case at 1 fifth of the price of the machine.
That' a thought but I'd need to get an extra amount of these pouches to fill the box.

Also: OPINIONS ON PLASTIC ENVELOPES VS FABRIC BACKING?
Old 13-07-2009   #15
MyCE Rookie

Quote:
Whoa, certainly looks pricey. It's even password protected!
Pretty sleek-looking though
They're marketing it as a secure disc storage but they tell you how to pry open the box and methods to get the discs out right there on the front page

Anyway, its cd cases for me. I don't trust those paper sleeves, I think some of em scratched my discs.
Old 13-07-2009   #16
MyCE Junior Member

From my experience all methods of storage like paper sleeves, plastic sleeves and wallets all produced fine scratches to the discs
I have only found cd boxes reliable because the data part of the disc does not make contact with the plastic. But boxes take to much storage space, so I would like a solution that doesn't take too much space but doesn't scratch the discs.
Dsp121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009   #17
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsp121 View Post
From my experience all methods of storage like paper sleeves, plastic sleeves and wallets all produced fine scratches to the discs
I have only found cd boxes reliable because the data part of the disc does not make contact with the plastic. But boxes take to much storage space, so I would like a solution that doesn't take too much space but doesn't scratch the discs.
well slimline cd cases is probably your best option. we used those when converting all out home movie vhs to DVD. BUt they don't keep out the light like proper black DVD cases do & I've read that keeping out the light is important for long life as UV will damage the dye over time.

It is also possible to buy individual slim, half-height black DVD cases.
I had some a while ago but I forget where I bought them online.
they take up much less space than regular dvd cases & you can slip labels into the sleeves.

but if you are really into space saving just get a 1TB external hard drive!
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG View Post
That' a thought but I'd need to get an extra amount of these pouches to fill the box.

Also: OPINIONS ON PLASTIC ENVELOPES VS FABRIC BACKING?
When filling both side I think it had to much in the case. So only using the 1 side it fit nicely without cramming them in.

Plastic or Fabric will scratch if you are not careful so I don't think that matters that much except price wise.

Just handle them like you would an LP Record, very gently.

Forum Rules: http://club.myce.com/f34/announcemen...uidelines.html

GO TEAM GO Fold for team 13505 http://folding.stanford.edu/

Help us save some lives by joining the Distributed Computing Teams : F@H or WGC or BOTH
bean55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009   #19
MyCE Resident

The 2 CD fabric sleeves I have the link to in my first post dont scratch the disks I use, well not so far in 4+ years of use, paper ones can, and do, but these are not the same and cant seem to because the part that comes in contact with the data side are so soft.

The clear plastic singles I have used in that past can/do scratch, but I think its more because of dust getting into them that can cause the slight scratching, one of the reasons why I say to use the covered boxes (and because of the light). If they are left upright in an open box they get dust particles falling into the slight gap they have at the top.

Also if your silly about pulling the fold in flap out, it is possible to scratch the disk, as said above just be smart about using them or "Just handle them like you would an LP Record, very gently."
DFI LP RDX200 CF-DR Athlon 4200x2 (LDBFE) Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 2 GB G.SKILL HZ's, x1650XT 24Pipe, Raptor 150GB, 1TB Hitachi DS x4, 320GB Hitachi DS x2 Corsair HX 620 in Eclipse 62, LG GSA H42N - Lite0n SOHW-832S - NEC ND-3550A - Asus CRW-5232A Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 200
Lenny_Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009   #20
SG
MyCE Resident

Hmmm I could double up on the fabric sleeves - anyone know where I can buy them though? I'd need little hangy things for them to go in my case like the ons that came with it, too.
Old 21-07-2009   #21

Fellowes ones from Staples if you have one near you - we have some and they're pretty good (only use the one side though as mentioned).

Or you could buy online from Staples I think.

Old 24-08-2009   #22
CD Freaks Rookie

I leave them in the Cake Spindle and number each spindle and use that in my excel spreadsheet along with title, genre, year, mins, and ratings. I can sort easily with excel. Each Cake Spindle goes into an Office Depot Box ($2) that is stack/stored in my closet. Problem solved and this method is CHEAP $$. I have hundreds of DVDs and hardly ever watch movies more than once. I'm able to retrieve relatively quickly any movie for lending or watching and my visible shelves and PC area are cleared. My biggest pain right now is adding a column for the imdb link for each movie into my spreadsheet so I can review ratings and movie details on actors, directors, plots, trivia, messages, etc. with a one click operation from my PC. I also print out my Movie list in alphabetical order so guests can pick out a movie to watch when I'm entertaining. I punch out holes in the pages and put this in a nice binder for easy access. I know its simple but cash is king and I can't afford the time or money for elaborate systems. Someday, I may just put everything on a media server and play it from that, but until then I have many DVDs, DVD-+R, etc., so this works well for now.
teapot is offline   Reply With Quote