Old 14-08-2005   #1
MyCE Senior Member

Best way to clean CD's and DVD's?

I've just been using water and paper towels and cleaning from the inner edge to the outer edge. Is alcohol recommended for cleaning (and don't say for medicinal purposes only! ).

When you want to get dust or stuck on dirt, what's the best solution?
WiltonParmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2005   #2
Retired Moderator

Re: Best way to clean CD's and DVD's?

Paper is bad, too abrasive. Soft cotton, preferably lint-free cotton, is the thing.

NOT geting your discs dirty in the first place is better.
rdgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2005   #3
MyCE Resident

"NOT geting your discs dirty in the first place is better"

Sure , but er... what about these discs borrowed from friends, or rented movies ..? Most of the time = HEWW!
===>
Because of this I actually have to clean discs very often... I use isopropyl alcohol and cotton.

As RDgrimes states, paper is too abrasive. If you look closely and with the proper light, you'll see you're creating scratches (very very thin but numerous) with paper towels.
Old 14-08-2005   #4
CD Freaks Senior Member

I have a chamois cloth I use to wipe them if it's just dusty. But if it's actually got some fingerprints, or other stuff on there, I use a little alcohol and DISTILLED water mixed in a spray bottle. Then I use another chamois to dry it with, works wonders. I keep the chamois cloths, and the spray bottle in a glass jar so they don't get full of dust. I have them sitting on the shelf behind me, It's my CD reconditioning kit. Another NEAT way I use to fix BADLY scratched CDs is to clean them as best you can. Then I have a portable CD player that I have just the motor working in on a little toggle switch on the side. I have the rest of the guts taken out of it. I put the CD on the spindle upside down, (it has to be the type where the CD will stay on the spindle with the lid open) and I put a few drops of the runniest super glue I can find around the middle of the disc. Then I close the lid and turn on the motor. It slings a nice even coat of super glue across the surface of the disc filling in all the scratches, and slinging the excess off the edge. I turn it off after about 20 seconds, and give it like 20 minutes to dry before I open the lid. Then I take out a disc that looks BRAND SPANKING NEW, you'd never know it was scratched!! It only works IF the reflective layer is OK, and I've had LIMITED success doing DVDs like this. BEWARE, some super glue clouds the discs, so TEST IT FIRST. Take a CD-R and put some on it, and see if it turns cloudy after a few days. If it doesn't, it will work. I had this really cheap super glue that clouded after a couple months. I noticed it happening, so I copied all the victim discs I had done that to before they got completely hosed. I find the closest to the pure cyano???? it is works the best (not sure what the name of the chemical is). So, there you have it, my secrets for fixing screwed up CDs.
My System: P4 2.8b @ 3.44 (165x21), GA-8INXP, XFX 6600GT @ 580MHZ GPU & 1.18GHZ MEM, HYUNDAI L90D+, SBLIVE, 500W FORTRON BLUE STORM, MAXTOR120GB 8MB CACHE, MAXTOR300GB 16MB CACHE, 4x KVR400X64C25/256 @ 330 (2-2-2-5 2.7v), NEC3500A, SOHD-16P9S, LTR-52246S, CHIEFTECH CASE.
Deer Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2005   #5
New on Forum

By far the best way I have is to use either water and one of those microfiber eye glass cleaning cloths. Wiping from the center of the disc out.
1machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2005   #6
MyCE Senior Member

Now that I have a good idea as to how to go about cleaning the media, what's the best solution for cleaning the hardware. Aside from dusting the tray, do any of you use the laser cleaning products for cleaning the inside of the unit?
WiltonParmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2005   #7
CD Freaks Rookie

I just use windex and a soft cloth like a old soft dishtowel for those tough stains on DVD from Block buster, soaking it with the spray wiping from center to outer edge. I've had some pretty nasty ones from them, finding that out after I'm watching the movie and it starts skipping or stops playing. I check them all now before I ever play. Fingerprints just my breath and the front of my clean teeshirt. Main thing is that you don't want to scratch them.
Sliztzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2005   #8
CD Freaks Senior Member

Windex IS NOT a good idea! It will CLOUD THE PLASTIC after a while. Maybe NOT on the first cleaning, but after a few times it WILL cloud. You should use a WEAK alcohol solution, and a SOFT cloth, like a chamois. Any kind of ammonia is NOT good.
My System: P4 2.8b @ 3.44 (165x21), GA-8INXP, XFX 6600GT @ 580MHZ GPU & 1.18GHZ MEM, HYUNDAI L90D+, SBLIVE, 500W FORTRON BLUE STORM, MAXTOR120GB 8MB CACHE, MAXTOR300GB 16MB CACHE, 4x KVR400X64C25/256 @ 330 (2-2-2-5 2.7v), NEC3500A, SOHD-16P9S, LTR-52246S, CHIEFTECH CASE.
Deer Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2005   #9
MyCE Resident

"Fingerprints just my breath and the front of my clean teeshirt. Main thing is that you don't want to scratch them."

Actually you ARE scratching them by doing that. Look closely... under a strong light...
Old 16-08-2005   #10
CD Freaks Rookie

Ok, thanks for the pointers. I very seldom need to clean any of my discs. If anything, its a hair or piece of lint on the surface which i just blow off. I use a old soft undershirt or hand towel. I wouldn't think that very minor scratches which are hard to see would effect the playback. They have always played fine afterwards. Actually sometimes I just use water unless it is something that is tough. What would be the ratio of alcohol to water if I want to get a spray bottle to put it in?
Sliztzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2005   #11
MyCE Resident

"I wouldn't think that very minor scratches which are hard to see would effect the playback"

And you are probably right, at least with good medias. Maybe on the long term, though... who knows.
Old 16-08-2005   #12
MyCE Resident Old Fart

Location: Diehard Old CDFreak Lurking In The Back Of Your Mind

Yo-

If you are near a Costco - they have these great microfiber large cloths (16 x 16) in the auto section - 20 for $9 or so - great on discs with a little alocohol/distilled water solution (1:20)-

Mike

(Y) <- - - (a tribute to *someone*)

Brayden & Lil Burnits Proud Cyber Grampie - 'CERCA, TROVA' - 'NOVUS ORDO SECLORUM'

Work Computer = ZT Systems i7-2600 CPU w/32GB DDR3-1333 G. Skill Ripjaws X RAM/ Win7 Pro-sp1 /Crucial M500 480GB SSD @ SATA3 /Western Digital VelociRaptor 500GB Workstation HDD @ SATA3 /Corsair 650 watt PSU /Pioneer BDR-2207 as BD burner /Lite-On iHBS-112-04 as Reader/Ripper and BD Disc Quality Tester /Dell 27 inch S-IPS monitor w/LED backlight /XFX Radeon HD6870 w/2GB GDDR5RAM /Ashampoo Burning Studio 2012 /DVDFab 9

Burning Computer = HP xw8400 workstation w/ Two Xeon 5160, dual core, 3.0 mhz CPU's w/ 16gb PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM /Win7 Pro-sp1 /Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD /Western Digital Caviar Black 640gb w/64mb cache HDD /Corsair 850 watt psu / Optiarc AD-5280S-CB-PLUS w/v1.Z7 fw as Disc Burner and Disc Quality Tester /Optiarc AD-5280S-CB-PLUS w/v1.Z7 fw as Disc Reader/Ripper /ATi Radeon HD 5770 w/1gb GDDR5 Ram Videocard /HP 24" LCD /Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 /DVDFab 9

On The Shelf: (1) Benq 1640, (1)BenQ 1640 @EW168, Pioneer (2) 115D, (3) Optiarc 7200A, Optiarc 7260A, Asus DRW-24b1ST
bigmike7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2005   #13
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Slayer
Windex IS NOT a good idea! It will CLOUD THE PLASTIC after a while.
I've been using Windex or a Windex-knockoff on my CDs, DVDs, and CD-Rs for 15 years, I think, and I've never seen this happen, and I've never heard of it before. Have you actually seen this yourself? Does the clouding actually interfere with reading the disc?

I have seen situations where the coating on coated optics (like binoculars or fancy eyeglasses) appeared to break down under a Windex barrage. But I didn't think CDs and DVDs have any fancy coatings on the business side to break down.

It's not that I don't believe it's possible, but I'd definitely like to know more, for the sake of my data.
Darth Laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005   #14
MyCE Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike7
Yo-

If you are near a Costco - they have these great microfiber large cloths (16 x 16) in the auto section - 20 for $9 or so - great on discs with a little alocohol/distilled water solution (1:20)-

Mike
Are these cloths blue by any chance?

When you guys say Alcohol.. do you mean rubbing alcohol?
ZzBloopzZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005   #15
MyCE Member

lol... yeah... 50-50 isopropyl alcohol and water...
Old 26-08-2005   #16
MyCE Junior Member

You have convinced me.
I just went out and got some distilled water and 99% isopropyl alcohol.
I thought I had remembered it as 20% alcohol.
I mixed it 200ml with 50ml alcohol. I hope that's not too strong.

I assume you can use this on antiglare coated eyeglasses too?
Achant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008   #17
New on Forum

eyeglass cleaner spray and eyeglass wipes are the best for cleaning cd/dvd's. There are kits from staples,b-buy or any of these stores for sealing scratches on the disks. Never had a failure using these techniques.
tdshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008   #18
MyCE Resident

For commercially-pressed CDs and DVDs, 70% isopropyl alcohol is best.

For consumer-burned CDs and DVDs, plain water is best.

In both cases, use soft cotton or other non-scratching cloth material.

For getting rid of dust or lint, use tall-size canned air. Do not use the compact air cans, as they tend to spray liquid. Also, always make sure to keep the can upright, do not tilt more than a little.

For example, I'm currently using 3M 10oz Dust Remover canned air. I intentionally avoid the OfficeMax brand canned air, as their tiny cans spray liquid and cause damage. Not all canned air is created equal.
negritude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008   #19
MyCE Senior Member

Where I am, the water is medium-hard, limestone area. So water is out of the question for me.

A few years ago, I got a disc cleaning and scratch repair kit in my local supermarket. It came with a rotating applicator hand-cranked thingy, a fine cloth, 3 or 4 replacement pads and some scratch repair/cleaner fluid.

After a while I found that the applicator caused more damage (in the form of circular scratches) than it fixed but I still use the rest of the kit whenever a disc needs attention. The repair/cleaner fluid does a good job getting rid of dirt, not so much fixing scratches.
Verbatim 16x DVD+R MCC 004, 8x-R 8x MCC 02RG20 (Made In Taiwan) & 2.4x +R DL MKM 001 (Made in Singapore)
Honourable mention: MJC 003, CMC MAG E01
Avoiding: "Philips" branded DVDRs, all MBI, all TDK and Ritek G04/G05.

My DVD RW drives:
LG GGW-H20L Blu Ray
(NEC) Optiarc 7203A
"BenQ DW1640" (crossflash) Jitter and PO reporting FTW!

Retired: Samsung SH-W163A, NEC ND "4551"A & Optiarc 7191S.

Now with their own Japanese website: Premium quality Japanese media!
SeanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008   #20
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanW View Post
Where I am, the water is medium-hard, limestone area. So water is out of the question for me.
Even the bottled water, or is that a U.S.-only phenomenon (everyone drinking water out of plastic bottles)?

I don't even remember what tap water tastes like.
Old 14-08-2008   #21
MyCE Resident

Hey everyone it's post dating back to 2005??? They probably found what solution they were looking for. Back to iterate this post was last active in 2005, so everyone including me look at the post date so it won't confuse other users when they respond.
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008   #22
New on Forum

No harm in us adding to the post is there...I mean, perhaps some of us have some better ideas nowadays about how to best clean the media we use!
Erm...I thought just a rub on the T-shirt was fine until I read this. Hmm
Maybe I will use that bottle of isopropyl alcohol I have for clearing out my printer heads fro now on...
Some good advice here though, cheers
FaeGiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008   #23
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcolors View Post
Hey everyone it's post dating back to 2005??? They probably found what solution they were looking for. Back to iterate this post was last active in 2005, so everyone including me look at the post date so it won't confuse other users when they respond.
Yes, it's an old thread, but in the case of this issue, the subject never gets old.

It's OK to update an old thread if the advice is universal and relevant to a lot of people.

It's not OK to update an old thread if the advice was specific to someone's particular troubles.
Old 31-08-2009   #24
New on Forum

THE VERY BEST WAY IF YOU DONT HAVE COTTEN FREE CLOTH BUT YOU HAVE BANANAS IS SIMPLY TAKE A BANANA PEAL IT THEN RUB YOUR BANANA ALL OVER YOUR ENTIRE DISK THEN SIMPLY RUN YOUR DISC UNDER A FAUCET UNTIL THE BANANA SCRAPAGE IS ALL GONE,SIMPLY SHAKE DRY OR LET IT SIT OUT AND DRY and TA DA!

Last edited by bobguerra; 31-08-2009 at 01:11. Reason: misspelling
bobguerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010   #25

this may seem unorthidox but......... try covering it with tooth paste (any kind) spead it around with ur finger so that it coats it ........ and put it in ur toilet reflective side down....(make shure its clean toilet!!!) and flush it a few timesand itf theres a little bit of toothpaste on itrinse it in bottled or tap water......... TRUST ME!!! IT WORX!!!!!!!!!
zackery is offline   Reply With Quote