Old 30-08-2005   #1
New on Forum

Best (cheap) CD / DVD resurfacing method?

Greetings. I'm not sure if this is posted in the right spot or not, but this area seemed to be on the right track. I'm just wondering what the best *cheap* method of CD / DVD resurfacing is. I've tried a few methods, but they didn't work too well. I'm looking for something (maybe a kit) that's in the 10-15 U.S. dollar range, which does an excellent job. Looking to resurface a couple of my old Playstation games which are becoming harder to find now. A friend of mine had one of his DVDs resurfaced (not on a machine, or expensive equipment) and it turned out flawless / near flawless. You can't even tell that it's been resurfaced to look at it. Any information's appreciated. I'm sure a few of you guys resurface things now and then. Thanks.
Old 31-08-2005   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Best (cheap) CD / DVD resurfacing method?

Some cheapy CD-Scratch repair kits with 2 part solutions (like the Fellowes) one worked somewhat well for me. Well enough to get the data out. Not sure if it's suitable for genuine black-polycarbonate games from PS.

Also - check wid rental stores that have DVD's - some will do discs at $3/ea (i'm in AU)
Old 31-08-2005   #3
New on Forum

Yeah, there are a few places around that resurface for a few dollars. I'd just prefer to do it myself, as I like my games, and I'm *very* picky. I'd like the discs to have a surface like a mirror when finished. Might end up having a game resurfaced if it's done extremely well. I've seen so many botched resurface jobs, so that makes me hesitate a bit. I'd much rather do a home job. Thanks for the reply.
Old 31-08-2005   #4
MyCE Resident

LOL - myself - lucky ... no botched nothing - some of the rental stores here in AU resurface to new condition - maybe u should trial their services first with a home-scratched cd-r We got some industrial machine in our rental stores that does a beautiful job.
Old 01-09-2005   #5
CD Freaks Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhitachi4
Greetings. I'm not sure if this is posted in the right spot or not, but this area seemed to be on the right track. I'm just wondering what the best *cheap* method of CD / DVD resurfacing is. I've tried a few methods, but they didn't work too well. I'm looking for something (maybe a kit) that's in the 10-15 U.S. dollar range, which does an excellent job. Looking to resurface a couple of my old Playstation games which are becoming harder to find now. A friend of mine had one of his DVDs resurfaced (not on a machine, or expensive equipment) and it turned out flawless / near flawless. You can't even tell that it's been resurfaced to look at it. Any information's appreciated. I'm sure a few of you guys resurface things now and then. Thanks.
BTW, which games are they? Why not try cleaning the discs & reading them to image files in Alcohol 120 % at the slowest speed your drive will go? I've had several bad home-resurfacing experiences here in the US with a 'disc doctor' too. (I got rid of that thing quick, as some CD players would no longer read the disc!!!)
adam917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005   #6
New on Forum

Well, the thing is...the games play fine, but I wanted to resurface them as I like to collect. I have backups of them already which I play using a modchip. By the way, a couple of the games are Einhander, and Street Fighter Zero 3. Both import versions.
Old 02-09-2005   #7
MyCE Junior Member

Here's a comment on how to fix scratches using crazy glue and an old player.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread....ighlight=clean