Old 24-09-2006   #1
CE Freak

Is Xvid better than Divx? What are some of the best Xvid encoder apps?

Looks like Xvid is all the rage when it comes to encoded TV episodes and such and I'm wondering is it just because it is free that it is so popular? Or is it actually better?

Also, out of curiosity, I was wondering if some folks here would be so kind as to help direct me to some good Xvid encoders.

I capture to MJPEG AVI from my VHS tape and was thinking of trying some conversions to Xvid to see how it goes.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
BeardedKirklander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2006   #2
Administrator

Re: Is Xvid better than Divx? What are some of the best Xvid encoder apps?

Here is the FAQ link for Xvid over at doom9: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=16935

It may take you a while to work through that and all the links, but it should have most of the information you need. Their Xvid forum should be able to answer any additional questions you might have.
Kerry56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2006   #3
CD Freaks Junior Member

you Know...I'm sort of old fashioned I guess..but I still prefere Gordian Knot," not Auto GK" I think being able to controle all your input & output settings is critcle to making a nice tight well sinchronized Xvid..have tried allot of other programs...staxrip is also good, but the default setting is MKV, wich actually is a better container but not well suppoted. I think Gordian Knot is the best!! takes a little time to master but worth it !!
snaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2006   #4
Senior Moderator & Editor

I'll recommend FairUse Wizard (free if your output is <700MB IIRC). Lots of output options to play with as well.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you are new to the internet, have a query about digital storage, or would maybe like to tell us a bit about yourself: just register with us
and try either the Newbie forum or the MyCE Living Room. Alternatively, if you fancy some chit-chat (without technical help),
then you're welcome to use the Chatbox to have a natter to other experienced members and staff.

So what are you waiting for? Click the smiley to join -->
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
imkidd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006   #5
CE Freak

Someone just pointed me towards Dr. DIVX and I have to say, that thing is about as easy as it could possibly get.

I do wish they had something similar for Xvid, but I guess I'm going to be messing with Divx instead, at least until I find something as simple to use for Xvid.

Anyone else using Dr. Divx?
BeardedKirklander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006   #6
MyCE Resident

I've used Dr. Divx before. I was pleased with the results as well.
justcallmebob is offline   Reply With Quote