Old 16-11-2005   #1
CD Freaks Junior Member

which video format to store files ?

Whats the best format to store video / footage / clips?

I normally store in mpeg1 format but i noticed avi, rm and wmv is smaller.

Also i find: avi loses quality when stored on CD/DVD, wmv is slow to play, mpeg1 and 2 takes more space than avi and wmv, rm not sure.

With wmv you cant see the preview in the folder before playing the file in a media player.

And the nice thing about mpeg is it can be easily edited with mpeg software but i havent seen/found avi or wmv editing software so what i usually do is have to convert avi and wmv to mpeg to edit.

What would you recommend ?

Login: yes
Password: incorrect
jaffacake2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2005   #2
New on Forum

Re: which video format to store files ?

you can use AVS video converter, you can converter between avi, mpeg, wmv and rm.
good luck
Old 17-11-2005   #3
CD Freaks Rookie

Quality wise it is best to store the video files in it's original format. Every conversion reduces the quality. For instance if you have filmed with a DV camera you can only store 20 minutes on a single layer DVD as a data file without conversion, but you keep the original quality.

I don't understand why storing an avi on CD or DVD will reduce the quality. If you burn it as a data disc then you get an exact copy of the original file.

If you want a nice viewing format I recommend DVD-Video compatible MPEG-2. Almost every computer and every standalone DVD player can play this format. If you want small files then XviD is a nice format.
ronnylov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011   #4

I think that MKV is overall the best format to store them. you can keep the best quality for the minimum space requirement, and all of the programs to play/convert the files are all free.
BGAL7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011   #5
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGAL7090 View Post
I think that MKV is overall the best format to store them. you can keep the best quality for the minimum space requirement, and all of the programs to play/convert the files are all free.
First off, Welcome to the forum. MKV is not a format per se, rather it's a container that can store many different video formats (including MPEG2, straight from a DVD). Perhaps you were referring to AVC or H.264 in an MKV as being the 'best' format. This is perhaps true from a storage standpoint. However storage these days is cheap and I agree with the previous posters that it's best not to convert. Besides which, AVC was not even an option 4 or 5 years ago when this thread was started...

It's been at least 2 years, 5 months, 6 days, 11 hours, 52 minutes and 35 36 37 seconds since I had a sig...
(but who's counting?)
olyteddy is offline   Reply With Quote