Old 27-02-2008   #1
New on Forum

Sub title SRT file Editing Help

I have a question about editing srt files. I have a movie that the sequence of the subs is good up to the middle of the movie, then it becomes about 6 seconds of sequence. I viewed the srt file and confirmed that it is off the time by 6 seconds.

I was wondering if there is a easy way of adding 6 seconds midway within the movie sub file (srt) without having to change each individual timing mark. And if they do need to all be change, is there a program or something that I can use to do it for me?
thanks for any help.
jdsalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Sub title SRT file Editing Help

You can try DVDSubedit (free)
http://download.videohelp.com/DVDSubEdit/
CDuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #3
New on Forum

I dl but the program doesn't edit srt files. just vob and sup files. You know of any other program maybe, that edits srt files?
Old 01-03-2008   #4
MyCE Resident

Just create another backup of that movie.

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #5
New on Forum

_chef_, the movie is fine it's the srt file that is off by 6 seconds according to the timing mark half way through the file.
Old 03-03-2008   #6
Video editing software expert

I should imagine that the major editing softwares should allow you to adjust the lenght of the srt. Take a look at things like adobe premiere elements, ulead studio, pinnacle studio, or go to www.videohelp.com/tools and search for srt

IN WIN Dragon Rider case, Asrock z68 extreme4, core I7 2600k @4.0, cm hyper 212 plus, 8gb Gskill 1600mhz cl8 memory,EVGA GTX 970 FTW, Samsung pinpoint f3 1tb 7200 rpm hdd, Crucial M4 128gb SSD, wd 600gb velociraptor, 4tb NAS, win 7 pro 64bit, Samsung S203N DVD burner,LG bluray burner, Dell 27" U2713HM, Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1

C2D E6550,3gb DDR2-800mhz,150gb 10000rpm raptor (R.I.P.) - replaced with 180GB Intel 330 SSD ,1TB sata hdd, geforce 8800 gt, Vista Ultimate, Hanspree 25" LCD ,Samsung bluray DVD reader\dvd\rw16x, Samsung S203N, ADS Pyro A/V Link,Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1 SS
harley2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #7
MyCE Resident

OK, listen what harley2ride posted.

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #8
New on Forum

THX harley2ride, I went to the site and clicked on subtitle category and dl a program called, "Jubler subtitle editor" and it worked perfect. It was able to do a time shift to the area I selected. The best part is that it was free. THX again
Old 05-03-2008   #9
CD Freaks Member

I need to edit SRT subtitles too. I opened the file with TextEditor and I saw all the words and timing, is possible that I edit there as if was a .txt or so, or I need a special software?. I know the idea is crazy but I think working with subtitles is hard.

Thanks again,
Old 07-03-2008   #10
Video editing software expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperTomato View Post
I need to edit SRT subtitles too. I opened the file with TextEditor and I saw all the words and timing, is possible that I edit there as if was a .txt or so, or I need a special software?. I know the idea is crazy but I think working with subtitles is hard.

Thanks again,
Working with vhs to dvd was hard too, before spending lots of time learning it. Heck, even backing up movies is hard until you learn how.

IN WIN Dragon Rider case, Asrock z68 extreme4, core I7 2600k @4.0, cm hyper 212 plus, 8gb Gskill 1600mhz cl8 memory,EVGA GTX 970 FTW, Samsung pinpoint f3 1tb 7200 rpm hdd, Crucial M4 128gb SSD, wd 600gb velociraptor, 4tb NAS, win 7 pro 64bit, Samsung S203N DVD burner,LG bluray burner, Dell 27" U2713HM, Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1

C2D E6550,3gb DDR2-800mhz,150gb 10000rpm raptor (R.I.P.) - replaced with 180GB Intel 330 SSD ,1TB sata hdd, geforce 8800 gt, Vista Ultimate, Hanspree 25" LCD ,Samsung bluray DVD reader\dvd\rw16x, Samsung S203N, ADS Pyro A/V Link,Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1 SS
harley2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008   #11
Retired Senior Moderator

I find I can do all my editing of srt subs in either Subrip and Subtile Workshop, both free and worth a look.

Please don't PM me with technical questions, use the Forum, that's what it's here for.
ChickenMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008   #12
New on Forum

I personally find Subtitle Workshop easier to use than Subrip.
Quote:
I was wondering if there is a easy way of adding 6 seconds midway within the movie sub file (srt) without having to change each individual timing mark.
In Subtitle Workshop, you open the sub and the video. You run the video up to the point where the sub gets off sync. You select the line that matches that point and all subsequent lines and press on the move button. Done. Of course that implies that the gap is the same until the end.
There is also a sync function but somehow it never seems to work properly.

Link to Subtitle Workshop

Last edited by skaleton; 17-03-2008 at 15:44. Reason: adding link
skaleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009   #13
New on Forum

hey can i ask u sth about the subtitle workshop?i had a subtitle in english and i wanted to translate it in greek.so i uploaded the original subtitle and made the changes.i replaced each subtitle with the translation and then saved it as sth i dont know what.it had several options of format files and i could not figure out which one was the correct one meaning the .str. the subtitle was saved as .xxx and it won t play.do u know how i can save this as .str?
theoniff8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009   #14
MyCE Resident

I don't know how you got the extension xxx or what it is. It might be easier for you to just search for the Greek subtitle for the movie on line. There are hundreds of free sites that offer downloads of subtitles in different languages.
Whappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009   #15
New on Forum

yeach i know but there are no subs for this movie its an old one.thanx anyway!
Old 04-03-2009   #16
MyCE Resident

In Subtitle Workshop, Save as, double-click on Subrip and it'll save as .SRT format.
toaddub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #17
New on Forum

thanx!!!that worked!!!simple as that!dont know why I got so messed up
Old 23-10-2010   #18

If you really need a such software for editing your subs, there's one that I know about...!
"Subtitle Workshop"
This is the only software, I guess, that is quite able to solve your any problem regarding subs-editing as extending or reducing the timing of any sub or even all the subs.
So, hope for the best and you can download the mentioned above software from the following site:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Subtitle_Workshop

HOPE YOU'D LIKE IT!!!
Nash-it is offline   Reply With Quote