Old 30-12-2006   #1
New on Forum

Sony Handycam to DVD

I have a Sony Handycam TRV340 that I have recorded home movies on. Now I am trying to transfer them to DVD. I am using the Pixela software that came with the camcorder with usb streaming to capture the video. The problem I am having is the resolution is pretty sorry. I can watch the videos using av cables to the tv and the look fine when I watch the DVD the resolution looks worse then the videos I have made with my digital camera. Any Ideas?

All help would be appreciated.

Chris
ck1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2006   #2
The Slutty Professor

Re: Sony Handycam to DVD

Hi ck1999,

I did a search on google for you and found out that your camera also has a Firewire in/output. This is to be preferred when transferring digital video from camcorder to PC. Therefore, I strongly suggest that you try to connect your camera to PC with a Firewire connection instead of USB. If your PC is fairly new, chances are high that it has a Firewire port built into the motherboard already. If it doesn't, you can pick up a 10$ Firewire card and put it into a free PCI slot into your PC.

From that moment on, you can use any software that is able to record digital video through Firewire; even Windows Movie Maker, but I would recommend Adobe Premiere Elements if you're just getting started or Adobe Premiere Pro if you're becomming more experienced.

Keep in mind though, that for smooth video-capturing, it is very important to have a harddrive capable of a sustained datarate high enough to capture video. Theoretically, DV-avi (the format in which you will probably capture your video), is 3.6 MB/sec, so you might think that any harrdrive is capable of doing this. Well, it's not Harddrives that are too fragmented (lots of small files spread all over the drive instead of nicely put after each other), will decrease recording speed dramatically and result in dropped frames (meaning you don't capture 25 frames per second). You don't want dropped frames by the way, as this will result in sound being out of sync with video.

Therefore, I suggest that you keep a dedicated drive only for capturing the video.

keep us informed about your progress or any other questions you might have
Wannez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2006   #3
New on Forum

wannez,
Thank you for your reply. Will using the firewire and Adobe Premeire Elements increase the resolution of the video being captured from the camcorder more than what I am getting using USB streaming?

thanks again
chris
Old 31-12-2006   #4
The Slutty Professor

Yes, it will. In fact, using the Firewire connection will allow you to capture directly in DV-avi format, which is 720 x 576 pixels, 25 frames/second for PAL or 720 x 480 pixels, 29 frames per second for NTSC.

I quote from the review I found on Google:

"You can transfer the movies and the stills to your computer using a supplied USB cable, but it does not allow you to transfer full resolution quality video from your tape to your computer (you have to use Firewire for that)."

source: here
Wannez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006   #5
MyCE Resident

Ulead is also an excellent choice for capturing and converting to DVD. Might be a bit more newbie-friendly than Pinnacle. I use and really like Ulead VideoStudio 10+.

I second the notion that firewire is the only option for quality and trouble-free captures. Also be alert to the fact that the PC must be left completely alone during the capture. Capturing to an separate physical hard drive would be an excellent option.
CDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #6
New on Forum

Thank you both for your replies. I have purchased a firewire cable and have transfered the video to my computer and the resolution was extremely improved. Thank you for your quick response and accurate diagnosis. I used WinDVD Creator 2 since the software was already on my computer.

chris
Old 04-01-2007   #7
New on Forum

Hi, not too sure if I'm in the right forum but maybe someone would be able to help me find the right one. I'm in a dilema. We were on holidays and decided to purchase a camcorder on a whim. Of course we knew nothing about them so purchased the first one that we saw. It was a Panasonic camcorder that took mini dvds. Paid about 400 euros for it. Then, a couple of days later we were in another area and stopped by a camera shop to purchase some more dvds for the camera. While there, a salesperson offered to take our camcorder (the Panasonic) on trade for a Sony harddrive camcorder. We handed over all of the Panasonic paraphanalia along with the camcorder and flew back to home (Canada). We kept the Panasonic minis but now I don't know how to play them back on my computer. They fit into the dvd player on my laptop, but my computer doesn't recognize that something is in the player. Would anyone be able to help me with what software or whatever might be needed to play back my holiday videos? Thanks,
macey
t
macey is offline   Reply With Quote