Old 23-09-2006   #1
MyCE Member

Which software for VHS to cd/dvd ?

Goodday,

Which software is best for ripping/burning old VHS to cd/dvd ?
Like to hear your advice.

Have an goodday.
Old 24-09-2006   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Which software for VHS to cd/dvd ?

For my money, the answer to both your threads is the same. Get a set-top DVD recorder. For capturing analog video/audio from a VCR, you need hardware and software, the combination of which will easily equal or exceed the cost of a recorder in order to get equal or better results.

Add to that the fact that capturing and converting video on a PC means tying up the PC for long periods of time, maybe many hours for each recording.

Most of the entry level set-top recorders can produce excellent quality, given good quality source material.

If you're determined to capture and convert video on your PC, you will need hardware and software for capturing. Most capture devices come with software for capture and conversion, but they never really do a good job for all things you might need. I'd recommend Scenalyzer for capture, and Canopus Procoder Express for a newbie needing to convert to MPEG quickly and cleanly. You'll still need an authoring program to burn DVD-Video, TMPGEnc-Pro Author is pretty popular. If you buy those 3, you've already paid for a set-top recorder, and still need the hardware to capture with.
CDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2006   #3
CE Freak

You could get an ATI All-In-Wonder card.

Or a Hauppauge setup like the 150:

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/produ...ta_pvr150.html

or the 250 or even 350 if you want. They are highly regarded.

You could order a Sima GoDVD Video Duplicator CT-2 like the one at BestBuy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6296572&st=SIMA+CT-2+GoDVD!+Digital+Video+Enhancer&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1074788270290

I just ordered one myself so I can plug the VCR into a DVD-Recorder and do that in bulk for my old VHS collection.

I am probably going to get a cheap Lite-On DVD-Recorder for the home entertainment area (not a PC drive or anything) and wire 'em up.
BeardedKirklander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006   #4
CD Freaks Senior Member

I agree with the gneral advice to simply connect a VHS recordr to DVD recorder via scart/av sockets. However the story doesn't end there as many VHS videos are macrovision protected and most dvd recorders will not copy macrovision protected (Liteons will if you have an older model which could be hacked - see liteon forums).

If you are making back up copies of macrovision protected VHS tapes, you are probably going to have to do it via PC.

Do SEARCH on macrovision for more information.
Oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006   #5
CE Freak

The Sima CT-2 should remove the Macrovision protection via its signal enhancer, I have read. I'm going to find out shortly.

My Matrox G400-TV had a 3rd party patch that also disregards that feature.
Old 25-09-2006   #6
CD Freaks Rookie

I just finished doing all my VHS to DVD using Go-Video VHS/DVD recorder. It was so easy all you do is put the VHS tape in and a -RW DVD disc and hit "Copy" on the remote. Then I took the DVD and ran it through RipIt4Me, DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. With DVD Shrink I did some editing then backedup to a DVD through DVD Shrink and Nero.
Old 26-09-2006   #7
CE Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamo55
I just finished doing all my VHS to DVD using Go-Video VHS/DVD recorder. It was so easy all you do is put the VHS tape in and a -RW DVD disc and hit "Copy" on the remote. Then I took the DVD and ran it through RipIt4Me, DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. With DVD Shrink I did some editing then backedup to a DVD through DVD Shrink and Nero.
Cool. I just got a Lite-On DD-A100GX DVD Recorder and will be testing taping from VHS to DVD this week. I'll post after I get my Sima CT-2 and have a chance to give it all a shot.
Old 17-10-2006   #8
MyCE Member

BeardedKirklander,

I have on an older pC Medion 42073 [known as AverMedia 303p] PCI-tv-radio-teletext card, and on my new pc the latest Avermedia PCI-tv-radio-teletext card. Point is with the older Medion card the added software TV studio is limited, so I am seeking an updated version on either Tv studio or another software that is better. Any ideas ?
Old 17-10-2006   #9
CE Freak

I'm sorry - I don't know of any updated software. I'm unfamiliar with that particular hardware.

I recently went through my own issue with a Matrox G400-TV card. It had Windows 98 SE drivers, but none for Windows 2000 Pro or XP and none of the software I could find was able to help the unit function properly on the new systems, so I had to sadly remove it when I upgraded to Windows XP.

I was able to find an ATI All-In-Wonder X800XT card that would work with my systems, but decided it was time to move to something outside the PC because of the driver issue. I opted to purchase a DVD VR for the home entertainment center. I ended up taking back the Lite-On mentioned above because of AV quality issues and now have the Panasonic DMR-ES15.

Now I don't have to mess with drivers or any such thing if I do not wish to, at least for video.

Wish I could have helped, but I do hope you find a solution.

Best of luck.
Old 18-10-2006   #10
MyCE Member

I was able to transfer/dub over 100 vhs tapes to dvd using a set top unit an LG 517 It will work with - or + R dvd disks, but one does get the occasional copy protected tape and that's where the GoDVD- Sima 2 comes in. You can use 2 stand alones a vhs player & a dvd recorder- hook the sima-GoDVD metalbox up with the correct cables out from the vhs into GoDVD then the out into the dvd recorder- Suppose to be basically one touch recording- got mine at Best Buy about $100.00. I'm going to try it with the LG after I check if there is an output line for the vhs part 'cause I know there are front jacks for the dvd- course that may be way too easy, so I may end up using an older vhs player & using only the LG for the dvd recording.
Did hear that the panasonic ES15 has a really nice feature that one can put to good use with the GODVD set up- there is a recording timer function that allows one to actually set the true time needed for recording to dvd i.e 137 mins. and not a generic 1,2 or 4 hours timer- like my LG - which should make for better picture quality.
Anyways, every single one of the 100 tapes I dubbed with the LG (I plead not knowing back then) using TDK-R media playes just perfectly on all 3 of my dvd players & the pc-.The dubbing was done this summer & now that I've been on this site I know it should be +R & Verbatim which works just fine with my LG also (just have to initialize the dvd first- like who cares about 1 extra minute) & I get a great copy on good media. Now I have to transfer the TDK-R disks to Verbatim +R because I know better now- think thats what Xmas vacation will be about and still dub those pesky copyprotected vhs tapes. Best of lucK
BK, let me know how yours turns out. I'll prpbalbly wear out my 2 dvd drives backingup all those -R dvds to +Rs- that would mean time to go shopping again- & also time to upgrade.. bad, bad idea!
Solveprogramissue- keep using/reading this site and asking questions- these folks have taught me alot, have great information and the best part is they are willing to share it. & even have a sense of humor. You are definetly in the RIGHT PLACE- So Welcome. I'm a newbie too. Like skinnin a hog, there's always more than one way to do it & still get it done (modified for Arachne & Womble & cat lovers everywhere)
cedrich999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2006   #11
CE Freak

I've been having great luck backing up my VHS's with the CT-200. Dune, Henry the Fifth, Grand Canyon and some others already backed up to a DVD-RW by running the VHS to the CT-200 then recording to my Panasonic DMR-ES15. I finalize the DVD-RW, copy it directly onto my hard drive (via the Lite-On 165H6S) and then open it in DVD Shrink, trim off the excess from beginning to end, popping it into Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5, make a menu and I'm good to go.

That Sima unit really does work as advertised.
Old 19-10-2006   #12
MBK
MyCE Resident

To capture analogue VHS, you might as well get a TV Tuner PCI Card ( most are very low priced) like a Hauppage PVR 150, 250, or 350. Their WinTV 2000 capture software does not see the Macrovision copyright protection and you can also adjust the bitrate you want to capture in so as to help retain whatever video quality is left from the VHS tapes. With a TVTuner card you can also view/capture TV on your PC.

Capturing straight to your PC's harddrive lets you have the VHS conversion files already, ready to edit, if wanted, and then burn to disc.
MSI P45 Platinum (Beta BIOS v1.7b9) LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
Intel Core2Quad Q9550 2.83GHz CPU (Overclocking @ 3.6 GHz)
EVGA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB GDDR2 Video Card
G.SKILL 4GB DDR2-1066 SDRAM
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB - SATA 3.0Gb

*SAMSUNG SH-S183L 18X SATA DVD±R
*SAMSUNG SH-S203B 20X SATA DVD±R
*SAMSUNG SH-S203N 20X SATA DVD±R
*LG UH08LS10K 8x SATA Bluray±R
*LG GH22NP 22X IDE DVD±R
MBK is offline   Reply With Quote