Old 03-10-2011   #1
MyCE Member

Need to convert WMV to playable DVD format

I've spent two hours trying to find something to convert a WMV for my kid's school project. I have to produce a simple DVD that can be played in any DVD player.

I use ImgBurn, DVDShrink, DVD Fab every day, but I've never bothered converting native computer video formats to anything I can put on a DVD.

I've found lots of "freeware" that leaves water marks. I've found lots of commercial software. I've found crap that installs spyware, adware, and malware.

I just need something to convert this one freaking WMV file into something I can burn a working DVD with. It's late, I'm tired as hell, and I don't have much time left.

Can someone help me out? I need free, fast, and easy.
teh roxxors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011   #2
Administrator

Re: Need to convert WMV to playable DVD format

Try AVStoDVD. Don't know for sure that it can handle WMV input, but I believe it can. No watermarks, no spyware or anything else.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVStoDVD
Free to use.

A second choice would be DVDFlick: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVD-Flick
Also free.
Kerry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011   #3
MyCE Member

I installed and used DVD Flick. Did the job just fine. Thanks a lot!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2011   #4
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
Try AVStoDVD. Don't know for sure that it can handle WMV input, but I believe it can.
@ Kerry56,
I tested this and AVStoDVD was able to convert .WMV to DVD Folders & files.

What I would like to know is there a way to use either the HCEnc GUI or use my own HC.ini file ? Or am I stuck with the settings AVStoDVD thinks are best. I did try the Edit & Advanced but the settings there are very limited.
Old 04-10-2011   #5
Administrator

Sure, you can use HCenc GUI if you like. You just have to learn Avisynth scripts, and/or DGIndex for mpeg files.

You might want to look at AvsP, which is a text editor for Avisynth. And there is a newer program, AvsPMod as well.
Old 04-10-2011   #6
Administrator

Forgot to mention this cholla. HCenc will only work with the video. If you use it outside one of the programs like AVStoDVD or DVD Rebuilder, you'll need to demux and convert audio separately (if it is necessary to convert the audio).
Old 04-10-2011   #7
MyCE Resident

Thanks Kerry but so far I haven't learned Avisynth scripts . Maybe eventually .
In DVDRebuilder I just changed the rebuilder.ini file to point to HC.ini file so it uses the one I created. Usually it uses those settings. Ocassionally it ignors the *Progressive but I think thats when something is just not possible .
I have done a little demux & remux but I try to avoid it.
For AVStoDVD I usually use the HCEnc VBR 2 Pass for video & QuEnc for audio. I usually am just converting a .flv so the default settings are good enough.
With a .wmv file like in this topic it could be considerably better quality to start with so I might want non default settings for a conversion to DVD.
I'm sure you know this but a .wmv is a container & can have various video & audio codecs used to create it . So quality can vary a lot.
I missed getting a TV series show I usually record the other day so I copied off the internet. I then converted the .flv to a .mkv . The quality was very good . One of my TV's will play directly from an external hard drive & I have found .mkv produces the best picture. I used mediAvatar HD Video Converter .
Old 07-10-2011   #8
MyCE Member

You guys have no idea how lucky you are to understand this stuff the way you do. I feel like a monkey in a room full of rocket scientists.
Old 07-10-2011   #9
MyCE Resident

Location: Between a rock and a ...bar (usually nearer the bar than the rock)

I´ve also just tried out both: DVDFlick handled an .avi without a hiccup, whereas AVStoDVD complained about some parameter and wouldn´t go any further!

A Lenovo T410 laptop with i5 & 8GB RAM for the road - a cool old workhorse and well worth the money second-hand with a warranty. Numerous external HDDs by Trekstor, Transcend, Toshiba & WD (total about 16TB). ...and a PC with i7-2600k, 16Gb RAM, Crucial M4 128GB SSD & 2 x 2TB HDDs, W10, and two Dell Ultrasharp U2410 monitors. Canon iP4600 & iX4000 printers, Canon 4200F scanner, Samsung Galaxy S6 (32GB) phone. GoPro Hero camera. Sony RX100 MkIII (ultimate compact camera!), and Canon 5D MkII camera (fav lens is the 17 - 40mm...don´t waste your money on the 16 - 35 which is as good but double the price), Samyang 14mm, Sigma 120 - 400. Assorted mountain and road racing bikes (one is as pink as this font!) , and a slightly scuffed, black, lowered BMW 316i coupé to impress chicks with... Oh, and bars, locks, electrified door handles, alarms, video surveillance...& sometimes a hungry dog hangs out there too. What else?: Feel free to join my fan club on Facebook as "Dean Nixon Photographer" and on Instagram as "instamann" (just add beer...!).Click here to get to Mordor! Get AnyDVD CloneDVD2 CloneCD here, and don´t forget to read The Rules.
deanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011   #10
Administrator

I very much prefer AVStoDVD, but I've used it for a long time now and understand its settings well. You will occasionally find a problem child video that won't work in a particular conversion program, which is why it is always good to have other choices.

Don't happen to remember what your error message was, do you Dean?

Did you check to see which encoder was being used? AVStoDVD has two, Quenc and HCenc. I always switch to HC 2 pass whenever AVStoDVD decides to use Quenc.

You might also go into Preferences and change the Avisynth setting from A2DSource to DirectShowSource (for this one video) and see if that helps fix the error. Or you can install ffdshow, which AVStoDVD can make use of. I have ffdshow installed for BD Rebuilder, so it was already in my system.

Last edited by Kerry56; 07-10-2011 at 03:36.
Old 07-10-2011   #11
MyCE Resident

Location: Between a rock and a ...bar (usually nearer the bar than the rock)

I´ll try it again when my brain is finished with REM phases and that thing which interrupts our leisure time...
Thanks for the hints in advance sir...
A Lenovo T410 laptop with i5 & 8GB RAM for the road - a cool old workhorse and well worth the money second-hand with a warranty. Numerous external HDDs by Trekstor, Transcend, Toshiba & WD (total about 16TB). ...and a PC with i7-2600k, 16Gb RAM, Crucial M4 128GB SSD & 2 x 2TB HDDs, W10, and two Dell Ultrasharp U2410 monitors. Canon iP4600 & iX4000 printers, Canon 4200F scanner, Samsung Galaxy S6 (32GB) phone. GoPro Hero camera. Sony RX100 MkIII (ultimate compact camera!), and Canon 5D MkII camera (fav lens is the 17 - 40mm...don´t waste your money on the 16 - 35 which is as good but double the price), Samyang 14mm, Sigma 120 - 400. Assorted mountain and road racing bikes (one is as pink as this font!) , and a slightly scuffed, black, lowered BMW 316i coupé to impress chicks with... Oh, and bars, locks, electrified door handles, alarms, video surveillance...& sometimes a hungry dog hangs out there too. What else?: Feel free to join my fan club on Facebook as "Dean Nixon Photographer" and on Instagram as "instamann" (just add beer...!).Click here to get to Mordor! Get AnyDVD CloneDVD2 CloneCD here, and don´t forget to read The Rules.
deanimator is offline   Reply With Quote