Old 05-07-2005   #1
MyCE Resident

How to fix seek problems in WMV files?

Every WMV file I have play fine if I just let them play normally until they finish, but the seek function in WMP8 and WMV9 doesn't seem to seek correctly with these files?

If I play a WMV then skip say 3/4 of the way through the file, the picture seems to 'melt' away and morph into the frame I skipped to but then freezes and won't play or takes ages to start playing? I seem to be able to slowly skip about from the start to 1/2 way though the files but after that they don't seem to seek properly. MPG and AVI files will seek properly?

I upgraded from WMP8 to WMP9 to see if the problem was WMP8, but the same happens in WMP9.

I tried loading then Saving and Reindexing some WMV files in Windows Media File Editor, but that didn't work. I don't really want have to re-encode and lose any quality or increase the size. I tried WinAVI to convert a 146mb WMV to DVD and it came out over 1GB but the seek works

So is there any utility that will 'fix' the seek problem in WMV files?
Web-Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: How to fix seek problems in WMV files?

Solved the problem!

It was a combination of video driver (ATI Catalyst 5.6 has bugs with WMV files) and a few bad WMV codecs/files.

Installed Catlayst 5.5 and manually deleted the Windows Media 9 codecs and reinstalled the WM9codecs.exe and most WMV's play/seek correctly now but a few still had seek problems. Tried a few video repair utils and found running the troublesome files through ASF-AVI-RM-WMV Repair 1.82 fixed all the seek problems.

http://www.repairvideo.com/

So for now all issues solved!
Old 03-06-2006   #3
New on Forum

Re: How to fix seek problems in WMV files?

I had this same problem recently.

Quote:
"If I play a WMV then skip say 3/4 of the way through the file, the picture seems to 'melt' away and morph into the frame I skipped to but then freezes and won't play or takes ages to start playing? I seem to be able to slowly skip about from the start to 1/2 way though the files but after that they don't seem to seek properly."
Windows Media Player 9 and Winamp 5 had the same problem. I suppose it is codec related; however, installing new WMP 9 Codecs did not fix the problem. I've been searching the net for an answer and did not find any. The repair WMV program mentioned above didn't work

My final solution: I downloaded a player that works. MPlayer can play virtually any audio or video file with its own built in codecs. It has some useful features including Seek backwards and forward 10 sec, 1 min, and 10 min. It's open source and therefore has literally hundreds of GUIs. I like MPUI (comes with MPlayer and a classic GUI) you can download it here: http://www.free-codecs.com/download_...p?d=1575&s=562 if you don't like that one there are many other skins here: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

Last edited by mrpb; 03-06-2006 at 01:30.
mrpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011   #4

Well the solution to this problem is so easy.
If you use window xp or previous versions use media player 6 that comes with the ordinary microsoft windows media player.
The path:
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe
It is slow in seeking, but works fine.

If you have windows version after XP. I don't know what to do they stop putting the program with media player 10,11...
khal_12004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011   #5
MyCE Resident

Well 6 years on I've now upgraded to Windows 7 so that solved the problem too
Old 27-02-2011   #6
Administrator & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web-Junkie View Post
Well 6 years on I've now upgraded to Windows 7 so that solved the problem too
Good to see you're still here too!

Wombler