Old 31-12-2003   #1
New on Forum

How do i burn a divx movie ?

Added by CDFreaks

If you are looking for a way to burn DivX movies to a CD or DVD then we recommend to use ConvertXDVD, this is a fast and easy way to burn your DivX movies.

End of message

I just got a new DVD player that supports both Divx and Xvid

My question is :

How do i burn a Divx movie that fit on ( 1 ) disc ?

And with what tools ?

( I have heard from others that you can only burn a Mpeg file on a disc " Vcd, Svcd" what comes to CDR and CDRW ).

Last edited by DoMiN8ToR; 28-07-2008 at 18:56.
redreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2003   #2
CDFreaks Resident

DivX / Xvid / Ogg is just a data file with an appropriate extension, normally .avi (even renaming .ogg to .avi works).

If your player handles such encodes, just burn the file to a data cd and stick it in the player - does'nt the manual cover such things?

The only problems may be with name length and directories, but placing the files in the root with normal length names should be fine.

mpg (vcd = mpg1, svcd=mpeg2) can be burnt as data if it fits on a 650/700MB cdr, but it is best to encode the mpg as a vcd/svcd for compatability. The only real problem is that most svcd's are upto 830MB's in size, thus have to be burnt as an svcd to fit on a 700MB cd (80min'r) - the crc bits are used for data storage that is why you can fit an 830MB file into 700MB's.
icey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2003   #3
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally posted by icey
DivX / Xvid / Ogg is just a data file with an appropriate extension, normally .avi (even renaming .ogg to .avi works).

If your player handles such encodes, just burn the file to a data cd and stick it in the player - does'nt the manual cover such things?

The only problems may be with name length and directories, but placing the files in the root with normal length names should be fine.

mpg (vcd = mpg1, svcd=mpeg2) can be burnt as data if it fits on a 650/700MB cdr, but it is best to encode the mpg as a vcd/svcd for compatability. The only real problem is that most svcd's are upto 830MB's in size, thus have to be burnt as an svcd to fit on a 700MB cd (80min'r) - the crc bits are used for data storage that is why you can fit an 830MB file into 700MB's.

Thanks !
I´ll try to burn my Avi file as a Data CD.

Hope it works
redreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2004   #4
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally posted by icey
...but it is best to encode the mpg as a vcd/svcd for compatability. The only real problem is that most svcd's are upto 830MB's in size, thus have to be burnt as an svcd to fit on a 700MB cd (80min'r) - the crc bits are used for data storage that is why you can fit an 830MB file into 700MB's.
I move svcd's (mpeg2) a lot between cd's and harddrives (in both directions). For this, I use Nero's SVCD feature to burn the mpeg2 files. As You say, this is necessary when the file is too big to fit onto the cd.

However, I didn't quite understand how You meant the size difference and the crc (checksum?) bits. Do I loose image quality every time I move a svcd between a harddrive and a cd and vice versa? According to what You wrote, there shouldn't be any loss.
kassai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2004   #5
CD Freaks Senior Member

Just means that (S)VCD's are more susceptible to errors.

Well anything burnt with mode2 form2. Not a good idea to burn AVI's like that anyway. Not even sure if standalones can handle mode2 form2 for stuff other than (S)VCD.

@icey, somehow I doubt renaming an ogg media stream to AVI would make it play on an AVI only DivX/XviD player.
celtic_druid is offline   Reply With Quote