Old 04-07-2005   #1
CD Freaks Rookie

How To Copy Home Video's To Computer 2 Burn On Dvd

Hello,

I want to be able to copy my old home movies, from my camcorder, onto my computer. What programs best capture the video onto the computer, so it can be copies onto DVD? What connection do I need-- because I am not sure how to connect the actual camcorder to computer.

If anyone has any suggestions for software, connection, etc... Please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

DJDVD
DJDVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005   #2
CD Freaks Member

Re: How To Copy Home Video's To Computer 2 Burn On Dvd

There are different programs that you can use and different ways to get from vhs to dvd. You can get a stand alone dvd recorder or you can import to your computer, then edit and do more things with. I've done both. Importing to the computer can be frustrating but with alot of patience, the outcome is very gratifying.
PIONEER 1910LS FW 1.01 (USB 2.0)
Aopen1648 AAP/PRO
XP PRO SP2
therockscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005   #3
Retired Editor, Reviewer & Senior Moderator

Hello,

Quote:
What programs best capture the video onto the computer, so it can be copies onto DVD?
This question is difficult to answer, there are many proggies out and everybody prefers an other, so you probably will get many different answers. However, one of the most popular and best around is Pinnacle Studio. Nowadays you are also able to capture and edit videos from your camcorder with "normal" burning suites, such as Nero 6 and Roxio Easy CD/DVD Creator 7.5. The question should be: What is the best program for me? And this primary depends on what you want to with you video when it is saved on the hard disc.
  • If you just want to convert the video to DVD format without any editing steps then won't need a special video editing software.
  • If you want edit your videos/add menues and also create audio/data cd's with the same software suite, then is Easy CD/DVD Creator a good choice
  • If you don't have a video card and want a special video editing software, then it's probably better to buy Pinnacle Studio 9 which comes with the video card.

Quote:
What connection do I need-- because I am not sure how to connect the actual camcorder to computer.
This depends on the type of camcorder you have. A digital-DV camcorder is usually connected via Firewire. For older Hi8 camcorders you will need a videocard with analog input.

Hope this helps
Old 05-07-2005   #4
CD Freaks Rookie

YES,

Thanks you so much. Where would I get this video card with analog input? Typical computer hardware store? Thanks.

DJDVD
Old 06-07-2005   #5
Video editing software expert

If you want decent quality, I would suggest buying an external capture device (firewire), such as ADS PYRO AV/LINK, Canopus AV/LINK, or Plextor. Some people will tell you to use Hauppage cards, or other tv tuner cards (these are cards that fit in a pci slot in your pc. I like the external devices myself, as they are easy to move from PC to PC. My ADS Pyro came with all the necessary software to do everything I want to do. You can get one for as low as $160.00 (including Adobe Premiere 6.0). Before you make a decision, check out www.videoguys.com , and www.dvdrhelp.com. Between those two sites, there is more information than you will ever need.

IN WIN Dragon Rider case, Asrock z68 extreme4, core I7 2600k @4.0, cm hyper 212 plus, 8gb Gskill 1600mhz cl8 memory,EVGA GTX 970 FTW, Samsung pinpoint f3 1tb 7200 rpm hdd, Crucial M4 128gb SSD, wd 600gb velociraptor, 4tb NAS, win 7 pro 64bit, Samsung S203N DVD burner,LG bluray burner, Dell 27" U2713HM, Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1

C2D E6550,3gb DDR2-800mhz,150gb 10000rpm raptor (R.I.P.) - replaced with 180GB Intel 330 SSD ,1TB sata hdd, geforce 8800 gt, Vista Ultimate, Hanspree 25" LCD ,Samsung bluray DVD reader\dvd\rw16x, Samsung S203N, ADS Pyro A/V Link,Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1 SS
harley2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005   #6
CD Freaks Rookie

@ harley2ride

Thank you so much for your post. I appreciate it.

DJDVD
Old 19-07-2005   #7
CD Freaks Rookie

Perhaps I'm oversimplifying, but I have a very old Sony Handycam vintage 1993. Haven't used it in over 7 years but have several tapes. I just transferred those tapes to DVDs by connecting the camcorder to my standalone DVD recorder via plain old a/v cables. I was pleased with the results and it was an inexpensive option.
jagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagfan
Perhaps I'm oversimplifying, but I have a very old Sony Handycam vintage 1993. Haven't used it in over 7 years but have several tapes. I just transferred those tapes to DVDs by connecting the camcorder to my standalone DVD recorder via plain old a/v cables. I was pleased with the results and it was an inexpensive option.
Yes, that will work fine, unless you want to add captions, titles, edit, trim, special effects.

IN WIN Dragon Rider case, Asrock z68 extreme4, core I7 2600k @4.0, cm hyper 212 plus, 8gb Gskill 1600mhz cl8 memory,EVGA GTX 970 FTW, Samsung pinpoint f3 1tb 7200 rpm hdd, Crucial M4 128gb SSD, wd 600gb velociraptor, 4tb NAS, win 7 pro 64bit, Samsung S203N DVD burner,LG bluray burner, Dell 27" U2713HM, Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1

C2D E6550,3gb DDR2-800mhz,150gb 10000rpm raptor (R.I.P.) - replaced with 180GB Intel 330 SSD ,1TB sata hdd, geforce 8800 gt, Vista Ultimate, Hanspree 25" LCD ,Samsung bluray DVD reader\dvd\rw16x, Samsung S203N, ADS Pyro A/V Link,Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1 SS
Old 06-08-2005   #9
MyCE Member

DJDVD

If you don't mind spending a few bucks then you can do what I do. I place my older VHS tapes (some 20 years old) in a VHS player that has an S-Video out connector. I then connect the S-Video and analog audio outputs to the S-Video and audio input on my Canopus ADVC-110, which is an Analog to Digital Converter. I then use a 6 pin to 6 pin firewire cable to an empty firewire input on the back of my computer (if your computer does not have a firewire input, you can purchase a pci firewire card for under $20.00). I use the 6 Pin to 6 Pin cable because when you use it, you do not need a power supply for the Canopus ADVC-110. The 6 pin firewire cable gets it's power directly from your system to operate it's firewire port.

When you connect the firewire from the Canopus to the firewire port on your computer you (if using Windows xP) will get a dialogue box asking which software you would like to use to capture with. I have found that the easiest one to use is Windows Movie Maker 2.1. If it isn't already on your computer (it was on mine by default) you can download it here: (it is free):

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...viemaker2.mspx

To take a look at the Canopus ADVC-110 check it out here:

http://www.canopus.us/US/products/AD...pm_advc110.asp

as you will probably note, if you buy direct from Canopus they want and arm and a leg for it. I found mine at:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&CMP=KNC-GOOGL

For: $269.99 instead of the $319.00 that Canopus sells it for.

Once you have captured the video as an .AVI file you can then use any software you like to edit and then burn the video to a DVD.

If you have any specific questions you can e-mail me at eric_j_groves@hotmail.com

Eric

I rarely check my cdfreaks messages, to reach me
visit my web site for my e-mail address.

My Main Computer

Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS Full Tower Case
Thermaltake Silent Purepower 750-Watt Power Supply
Intel BLKD975XBXLKR "BadAxe" Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Extreme Processor X6800
3GB's DDR2 667MHz RAM
One (1) 80GB Maxtor ATA/133 C:\ Drive
One (1) Seagate 1.5TB SATA 300 Hard Drives
One (1) Seagate 1TB SATA 300 Hard Drive
One (1) Seagate 500GB PATA Hard Drive
One (1) Plextor PX-B940SA (SATA) Blu-ray Burner
One (1) Plextor PX-880SA (SATA) DVD Burner
ATI Radeon X1600 Pro PCI-E with 512MB’s Video Card
Samsung 24" Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor
Canopus ADVC-110 Analog to Digital Converter
Epson Stylus Photo R380 Digital Printer
Microsoft Windows XP Pro with SP-3
DVDFab Platinum 7, AnyDVD HD & CloneDVD 2,
Pinnacle Studio Ultimate Version 12, & CyberLink Blu-ray Suite
Eric545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric545
DJDVD

If you don't mind spending a few bucks then you can do what I do. I place my older VHS tapes (some 20 years old) in a VHS player that has an S-Video out connector. I then connect the S-Video and analog audio outputs to the S-Video and audio input on my Canopus ADVC-110, which is an Analog to Digital Converter. I then use a 6 pin to 6 pin firewire cable to an empty firewire input on the back of my computer (if your computer does not have a firewire input, you can purchase a pci firewire card for under $20.00). I use the 6 Pin to 6 Pin cable because when you use it, you do not need a power supply for the Canopus ADVC-110. The 6 pin firewire cable gets it's power directly from your system to operate it's firewire port.

When you connect the firewire from the Canopus to the firewire port on your computer you (if using Windows xP) will get a dialogue box asking which software you would like to use to capture with. I have found that the easiest one to use is Windows Movie Maker 2.1. If it isn't already on your computer (it was on mine by default) you can download it here: (it is free):

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...viemaker2.mspx

To take a look at the Canopus ADVC-110 check it out here:

http://www.canopus.us/US/products/AD...pm_advc110.asp

as you will probably note, if you buy direct from Canopus they want and arm and a leg for it. I found mine at:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&CMP=KNC-GOOGL

For: $269.99 instead of the $319.00 that Canopus sells it for.

Once you have captured the video as an .AVI file you can then use any software you like to edit and then burn the video to a DVD.

If you have any specific questions you can e-mail me at eric_j_groves@hotmail.com

Eric
The canopus is a nice card, but for over $100.00 less, you can get the ads pyro av/link which is very close to being as good as the canopus card at almost 1/2 the price. Both solutions received great reviews from VIDEOGUYS.COM.

Old 13-08-2005   #11
MyCE Member

Hi DJDVD,

I would suggest that you use the Pinnacle brand of cards as these give the best capture O/P in my opinion. Then you could use any software of your choice to capture the video(again my favorite is Showshifter as this usually gives good o/p but is expensive, there are several free packages available which pretty much do a decent job at no cost). Then capture to Divx, if possible at a resolution of your choice(If the final o/p is going to be DVD, then the min. res to be selected is 480 X480, ideal being 720 X 576). Then use a Dvd Authoring package to produce the O/p files for the DVD and burn using the burning software of your choice.

Hope this helps.

PS: Am inactive member currently. So please don't PM me.
unicorn23` is offline   Reply With Quote