Old 11-12-2006   #1
New on Forum

DVD-Ram ripper / video edit

I have Panasonic DVD-RAM disks containing recordings from TV & VCR [not copyrighted movies]. I want to feed these disks to a software package on my (W2000) PC, I want to build up a video library on hard drive (format on HDD doesn't matter too much so long as image quality is good and hopefully space saving is maximised), do basic editing to chop out trim & delete video sections and finally burn stuff to DVD (DVD-R, not DVD-RAM). The DVD drive I have supports DVD-RAM.

So far I've put on InCD so that at least W2000 can read the disks, but I don't have software to deal with the .VRO and .BUP video files.

Any suggestions? Something fast & simple to use would be good, freeware would be better!.

Justin
justin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006   #2
CE Freak

Re: DVD-Ram ripper / video edit

Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5 is $50 for the Standard edition, but does what you with like almost no other program. There is a free trial that you can download:

http://www.ulead.com/dmf/trial.htm

I don't know if any freeware that can open it, but there may be something out there that others know about.

Best of luck.
BeardedKirklander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2006   #3
New on Forum

Thanks for the feedback. I took your advice, well almost - saw a cheap copy of ulead movie 3 on ebay and opted for that after checking it too works (according to docs) for DVD-RAM. Hopefully will basically do what I want.

Justin.
justin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2006   #4
CE Freak

Hope it does. Good luck.
BeardedKirklander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006   #5
MyCE Resident

If the RAM recordings are done in a single session (one continuous program) you can simply re-name the VRO file to MPG and use it like any MPEG file. This works for me very well in transferring TV episodes to PC for re-authoring to DVD.

If the RAM disc contains multiple programs (recording sessions), it'll require Ulead to read it. I recommend copying the files to HD before doing anything with them, it's a lot faster than trying to work with them on the RAM disc.
CDan is offline   Reply With Quote