Old 08-08-2002   #1
CDFreaks Resident

Difference Between .asf and .avi Files

When I go to dl videos, usually animes, from DC++, I usually get em in .avi format, but sometimes they also come in .asf format. What's the difference between em? I'm pretty sure .asf is older and has worse compression, quality, and error correction. Also I find a bunch of different file formats annoying, so I want to rename .asf into .avi, is that ok? Will there be compatiblity problems on other machines or software?

Thanks in advance for your help,
DFourthHorseman
dfourthhorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002   #2
Loves Smartypants

Well, actually AVI is quite older. ASF is Microsofts little attempt to own the video world as well as the OS world. However AVI and ASF are not the asme.

Simply renaming the files however, wouldn't work. They use different codecs to de-code the files.

The thing is, most AVI files you download would probably be encoded with DivX, much superior to the ASF encoding. SO if you don' t like the ASF format, don't download it.

My Photography | My Design

Usernames are impersonal. I'm James.
Old 08-08-2002   #3
CDFreaks Resident

ASF uses codecs, just as AVI does. They only differ in the internal structur.
IMHO, Microsoft wanted just a new format, just as a child wants new toys now and then.

I have the ASF file format description here, it is about 100 pages large, but I can't find any advantage to the AVI file format.
How a troll wants to force users of Linux to buy Windows just to make use of Plextor DVD writer unique functions
------------------------------------------------
PxScan/PxView (compatible to Premium, PX-712, PX-714, PX-716), now with built-in picture file output
Bitsetting via Autostart
My Blog about DADVSI (new french copyright)
alexnoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002   #4
CDFreaks Resident

Thanks, I'll try to download only .avi, but some of the older fansubs are rare and only available in .asf formats. I tried to rename a few and some works and some don't, mostly works, so I guess I'll have to try to redownload em if I have the time.

Thanks, if you have any other comments or etc. please reply,
DFourthHorseman
dfourthhorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002   #5
MyCE Resident

See What is the difference between DivX, ASF, MPEG4, SMR, etc .

DivX 3 & 4 were hacked versions of the Microsoft ASF format which removed some of the proprietary limits. DivX 5 is not hacked, but was developed as a new project.

DivX files use the same AVI suffix as the standard Windows video file, but the DivX AVI will not play without the proper codec installed.
Inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002   #6
CDFreaks Resident

DivX files use the same AVI suffix as the standard Windows video file

A divX IS a windows avi file. And you need the proper codec for every AVI file to play it.
How a troll wants to force users of Linux to buy Windows just to make use of Plextor DVD writer unique functions
------------------------------------------------
PxScan/PxView (compatible to Premium, PX-712, PX-714, PX-716), now with built-in picture file output
Bitsetting via Autostart
My Blog about DADVSI (new french copyright)
alexnoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002   #7
MyCE Resident

dfourthhorseman,

Since hacked DivX files are essentially ASF files with a different container, ASF files can be easily converted to AVI files by following the instructions in ASF TO AVI CONVERSION GUIDE v1.0.

A good definition of AVI files can be found at DivX FAQ - What is an AVI ?.
Inertia is offline   Reply With Quote