Old 06-01-2007   #1
New on Forum

Converting PPS (PowerPoint) files to MPEG or DVD

I'm hoping to help a friend, who has to give a presentation, to convert a Powerpoint (.pps) file to either an MPEG file or, if possible, directly to a DVD format file. I downloaded a "Trial Version" of "Presentersoft PowerVideoMaker" and successfully converted the PPS file into MPEG format, which I then created a DVD with using my "Movie Factory" software. Unfortunately, both the MPEG file and the resultant DVD had a flashing notice on the bottom right corner of the video that it was "created with an unlicensed version of PowerVideoMaker".

Since this will most likely be the only time that I will ever need to convert a PPS file, it really doesn't make sense for me to spend $ 125 CAD to buy the licensed version of PowerVideoMaker. So my question is this: Is anyone aware of any freeware available to convert PPS files to either MPEG's, AVI's or directly to DVD format?

All and any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 06-01-2007   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Converting PPS (PowerPoint) files to MPEG or DVD

SnagIt is fully functional in it's trial version, and will do this job extremely well. Basically you will just play the PP presentation and use SnagIt to capture the screen or window. You can also use SnagIt to create your own presentations, it's really a nifty tool. It will offer you whatever codecs you happen to have installed as far as saving the video in a particular format.

Once you save the video in MPEG or AVI, it's simply a matter of authoring a DVD with the file.
CDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007   #3
New on Forum

CDan, thanks for your informative response. I just checked out SnagIt on a number of sites and I quickly came to realize that I neglected to mention that my buddy's PowerPoint presentation also contains extensive audio use. From what I could find out about SnagIt, it appears to be limited to video capture. Or am I offbase here? Thanks again.
Old 06-01-2007   #4
CDFreaks Resident

Both are CRAPPY software for that use - Here's why - A computer display uses non interlaced video, so the display you see on screen is scanned progessively - Naturally a power point presentation is progressive. Here's the problem - When using those software they will process individual frames so your resulting MPEG will be viewable fine on your PC, BUT will not display fine on your TV since a TV signal is interlaced - end result ? Any motion in your power point will be jerky - Unless of course you have a progressive scan DVD player and a progressive scan TV - I have yet to see a GOOD quality software that will convert a powerpoint into an interlaced video, I've tried them all and the resulting MPEG-DVD looks like bloody crap on a TV - Problem #2, powerpoint presentations that use strong colours or colours in a certain range can be problematic when converting to NTSC - Most if not all the software does NOT convert the RGB colours into the proper NTSC Safe Colour range resulting in a signal that may bleed past the video's specifications and into the reserved areas and cause sync problems, etc.... Then you have the issue of interlaced flickering which will be very visible on certain thin and small font sizes that would display fine on your PC's display.
greg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007   #5
MyCE Resident

Snagit will work just great for this, and will capture audio as well. Since it's free to try for 30 days, give it a go and see how you like it. You may need to try different capture codecs and settings to get the best results. If you don't like the results, you're not out anything.

I do know that there are other tools around that will convert PP files directly to video, but fully functional free trials are another matter. Rather than telling you what won't work, I'm just trying to help you find something that will work. A google for "powerpoint conversion" returns a lot of tools. Once converted to any video format, making a DVD-video is pretty simple.
CDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007   #6
CDFreaks Resident

Try this one:

http://www.ppt-to-dvd.com/

Compatible with Vista as well as PowerPoint 2007
greg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007   #7
New on Forum

Greg, thanks for the feedback. The "Trial Version" of "Presentersoft PowerVideoMaker" that I used actually worked pretty well for me and seemed to play well for me on the TV, without the jerky motion you mentioned. The only problem I had with it was that both the MPEG file and the resultant DVD had a flashing notice on the bottom right corner of the video that it was "created with an unlicensed version of PowerVideoMaker". Since I will only be converting one Powerpoint file and and will probably never use the program again, it doesn't make sense to buy the licensed version of PowerVideoMaker. I was hpoing to find some freeware that worked as well as PowerVideoMaker.
Old 06-01-2007   #8
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42
Try this one:

Thanks Greg! I'll give it a try. Apparently the trial version gives a watermark on the video, but that beats the heck out of the script that PowerVideoMaker flashes on the video! Hey, what can I expect without paying for a full program? *lol*
Old 06-01-2007   #9
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDan
Snagit will work just great for this, and will capture audio as well. Since it's free to try for 30 days, give it a go and see how you like it. You may need to try different capture codecs and settings to get the best results. If you don't like the results, you're not out anything.

I do know that there are other tools around that will convert PP files directly to video, but fully functional free trials are another matter. Rather than telling you what won't work, I'm just trying to help you find something that will work. A google for "powerpoint conversion" returns a lot of tools. Once converted to any video format, making a DVD-video is pretty simple.
CDan, thanks for all your help! When I checked out Snagit, I couldn't find any reference to audio capture, so my concern was that I'd lose the audio from the PPS file when I captured it with Snagit. But since it captures audio as well, I'm going to try it out. I'm going to try out PPT2DVD that Greg42 linked me to, as well. I really appreciate the help and advice that both you and Greg have given me.
Old 01-02-2007   #10
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaochuhan
3. The third way to get a good result, if you have the equipment, is to use a TV-out graphics card to output direct to a DVD recorder
I had great success with this method. IF you have a video card with an S-Video output. I was looking for a way to do this without spending additional $100+ on software. $5 on an S-Video cable, set up my Sony Digital camera as a clone monitor, play powerpoint, record on Sony, playback through firewire cable to video capture/DVD creation software.

Of course, I was already in for (in order of $), $700 Sony D8 Camera, $100 Sonic MyDVD software, $40 FX5200 card w/ S-Video Out, and $30 for IEEE-1394 camera to PC cable. So...$100 for PPT2DVD software isn't so bad.

Even Better:

Lite On Progressive-Scan Multiformat DVD-R/-RW/+R/+R DL/+RW Recorder
Model: DD-A100GX @ BestBuy right now for $79.99. Add in an S-Video cable and you can get out the door for less than $100 and have a tool that will do a lot more than convert powerpoints.

Scratch that...no S-Video input on the Lite-on. Try the Samsung DVD-R130 for $139.99...nice piece of equipment with all the bells and whistles.
If your PS3 isn't on the CDFreaks Folding@Home Team 13505, shame on you.

Last edited by Icy Mt.; 01-02-2007 at 17:37. Reason: Added scratch
Icy Mt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #11
Video editing software expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaochuhan
Thanks a lot to digest this idea.
Convert pps to DVD can easily distribute it and much cheaper than buy a video card.
you can see more about the tools here: http://www.ppt-to-dvd.com/download.php?sid=4
I warned you once about using your signature to promote your web site and software. Since you did not heed my warning, I am banning you for 30 days. If you continue to not follow forum rules after that time, you could be banned perminently.

IN WIN Dragon Rider case, Asrock z68 extreme4, core I7 2600k @4.0, cm hyper 212 plus, 8gb Gskill 1600mhz cl8 memory,EVGA GTX 970 FTW, Samsung pinpoint f3 1tb 7200 rpm hdd, Crucial M4 128gb SSD, wd 600gb velociraptor, 4tb NAS, win 7 pro 64bit, Samsung S203N DVD burner,LG bluray burner, Dell 27" U2713HM, Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1

C2D E6550,3gb DDR2-800mhz,150gb 10000rpm raptor (R.I.P.) - replaced with 180GB Intel 330 SSD ,1TB sata hdd, geforce 8800 gt, Vista Ultimate, Hanspree 25" LCD ,Samsung bluray DVD reader\dvd\rw16x, Samsung S203N, ADS Pyro A/V Link,Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1 SS
harley2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009   #12
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Try this one:

I don't know if it is my problem, the when I convert a standard DVD, it is well play on my TV with a DVD player, but if I convert a HD DVD and play it on TV the output is not as good as the standard one.

Don't know why...
Marktom_ is offline   Reply With Quote