Old 21-03-2006   #1
CD Freaks Senior Member

Captured motorola comcast dvr video to pc. how do i cut commercials????

hello i just captured whats on my motorola comcast dvr with a firewire cable to my pc. the videos are in .ts files and some i converted to mpeg using hdtvtompeg2 software. is there any free or non free program to cut these commercials out? I want a program that cuts them out for good, not just cuts them out to put them on dvd?

Also does anybody know if there are any tutorials on cutting out commercials with hdtvtompeg2?

Does anybody else get low quality captures. i looked at the first capture i got today and it was low quality, a lil fuzzy i geuss you can say. Am i doing something wrong here? i use capdvs to capture the video and hdtvtompeg2 to convert it to mpeg. are these programs the cause for my alil fuzzy captures?
mikej3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006   #2
Administrator

Re: Captured motorola comcast dvr video to pc. how do i cut commercials????

One good program for cutting out commercials is VideoReDo Plus. It isn't free, but there is a trial version available if you want to test it. I find it very easy to use and it produces reliably good mpeg2 files. If you want a free one, you might try cuttermaran, but I believe it is not nearly as simple to use.

No experience with the programs you mention, so can't help with your capture. Might ask over at avsforum.com
Kerry56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006   #3
CD Freaks Senior Member

i see. Does videoredoplus convert .ts cable capture files to mpeg2? and is that actually recoding or just converting when i do that?
Old 22-03-2006   #4
Administrator

No, VideoReDo will simply cut out commercials in the mpeg files you have produced using hdtvtompeg2. It can't make mpegs and it won't reencode your files---just use it to cut out sections you don't want.

As I see it, you'll need to:
1. transfer your files to the computer
2. convert to mpeg2 using hdtvtompeg2
3. cut out commercials using VideoReDo
4. Use an authoring program to put the mpeg files into a dvd compliant format (I like DVDLab Pro but it is fairly expensive compared to some others, such as TMPGenc Author 1.6) If you have Nero, you can use NeroVision Express.
5. burn to disk

When you convert to mpeg2 using hdtvtompeg2, what are the specifications of your video? In other words, what resolution, bitrate, type of audio, etc does it have? Use a utility called Gspot (free download) to get the particulars of that mpeg2 file. The reason I ask is because dvd video is fairly stringent in what you can use and have it play on most dvd players. If you are in the US you'll probably want to use 720 x 480 resolution, 29.97 fps, 48kHz 16 bit pcm or ac3 audio. PAL specifications---used in much of the rest of the world---are quite a bit different.
An authoring program won't (or shouldn't) reencode the mpeg files. They should be compliant going in.

Edit: Didn't really notice that last question you had. When you convert using hdtvtompeg2 it doesn't seem like it is reencoding, at least, not from the information on their site. Looks like it somehow reorders the stream into a mpeg file. But they don't give any details on the output....resolution, fps, etc which is annoying. Run Gspot on one and report back in. Like I said before, I haven't got any experience with this program so I'm working in the dark too.
Of course I'm assuming you're trying to get everything onto dvd's. If you just want them to play in the computer, you just need the mpeg2 files and don't have to worry with dvd specs. They should play in the computer with any number of video players.

Last edited by Kerry56; 22-03-2006 at 07:45.
Old 22-03-2006   #5
CD Freaks Senior Member

mpeg2 is dvd format right? Yeah my two main goals for this are

1) transfer these videos from my dvr to my PC so that there is no loss in quality. When i was using capdvhs, it seemed like the end result of the video on my PC was alil blurry, i dont know what caused it????

2) put these videos onto DVD without doing any recoding because i heard recoding degrades the quality. and also make these SDTV captures widescreen when they go on the DVD cuz i have a widescreen tv. Does nero or clonedvd make videos widescreen???

anyway ill post all those specs when i get home that you told me i should post

Thanks
Old 22-03-2006   #6
MyCE Resident

mpeg2 is not always dvd format.

I think you should start with reading here: www.videohelp.com

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006   #7
CD Freaks Senior Member

mpeg2 is dvd format right? my 3 main goals for this are

1) transfer these videos from my dvr to my PC so that there is no loss in quality. When i was using capdvhs, it seemed like the end result of the video on my PC was alil blurry, i dont know what caused it????

2) Cut whatever i want out of the video including commericlas and all other things i dont want. And i dotn want a software to do it automatically cuz i heard they are not right on with the commercials. Id like to see what i am cutting out and cut it out manually by hitting the cut button. Does videoredo automatically cut commercials or wil it let me manually cut out everything?

3) put these videos onto DVD without doing any recoding because i heard recoding degrades the quality. and also make these SDTV captures widescreen when they go on the DVD cuz i have a widescreen tv. Does nero or clonedvd make videos widescreen???

anyway ill post all those specs when i get home that you told me i should post

Thanks

EDIT:

andi did read videohelp.com very huge website. it helped a bit but all i want to do is get the best quality capture(right now its alil blurry i dont know why, im using capchs maybe its the software thats making it blurry), then i want to cut whatever out of the video and then want to put video on dvd(i have nero so that wil be easy but i dont want to recode). Im trying to figure out the easiest way to do this
Old 22-03-2006   #8
CD Freaks Senior Member

UPDATE:

Ok i was dumb and didnt know this.
Quote:
CapDVHS is simply capturing the exact same transport stream that your DVR is decoding and displaying on your TV so has nothing to do with quality of display on your PC. The playback software, settings and codecs on your PC as well as graphics card and monitor all influence what it looks like on your PC.
So this leaves out the capdvhs questions and the bad quality questions.

Ok now does videoredo cut commercials out automatically and nothing else? i want a program that lets me cut out whatever i want manually, not automatically.

Quote:
4. Use an authoring program to put the mpeg files into a dvd compliant format (I like DVDLab Pro but it is fairly expensive compared to some others, such as TMPGenc Author 1.6) If you have Nero, you can use NeroVision Express.
Dpes this mean rencoding. And if so what is the best rencoder out of the three to get the best quality. and then what is the second best.

Also does dvdlab pro let you put menus on the dvd and create chapters like nero does?
Old 22-03-2006   #9
Administrator

VideoReDo has an option to cut commercials automatically, but I never use it. I always set the beginning and end of my cuts manually.

If you are going to use an authoring program like DVDLab Pro, then your mpeg2 files have to be dvd compliant going in. This means only certain resolutions, frames per second and certain types of audio, as I pointed out earlier. I don't know what hdtvtompeg2 is outputting for you, so I don't know if your mpeg2 files are compliant! I believe NeroExpress will reencode your files to make them dvd compliant, but it doesn't use the best encoding engine. It really depends on what quality you expect, and how good the files are that you are getting from hdtvtompeg2.

There are other encoders available, but not all are particularly newbie friendly. And many are expensive. I suggest reading up on encoding dvd compliant mpegs over at videohelp.com Some good encoders which are easy to use include Mainconcept 1.5, Canopus ProCoder 2 and TMPGenc Plus 2.5. Of those, TMPGenc is the least expensive and it works quite well.

Concerning DVDLab Pro--yes it is very good for creating menus, and you can set chapter points as well. Not as simple to learn as NeroExpress, but more flexible and capable. Just depends if you want to spend $200 to make menus and chapter points.
Old 22-03-2006   #10
CD Freaks Senior Member

ok i just heard that hdtvtodvd rencodes these files to mpeg files to be dvdcompliant. It uses ffmeg. Is ffmeg a good encoder????

Now if they are dvd compliant, will dvdlabpro author these mpeg dvd compliant files and put them on dvd?
Old 23-03-2006   #11
Administrator

DVDLab Pro should be able to use them if they have the correct specs. Assuming you've already cut out the commercials, just import the file into DVDLab. It will probably want to demux the file----go ahead and let it. Put the resulting video and audio files in the compilation timeline, set the chapter points you want, build your menu and then compile the dvd. The output will be in two folders, an audio_ts folder and a video_ts folder which Nero will recognize as a dvd-video and be able to burn to your disk. (there won't be anything in the audio folder, so don't worry, that's normal)

There is a trial version of DVDLab Pro that is good for 30 days. I strongly suggest getting this before paying for anything. See if you like the program and the results you get from it. If you want an alternative program, take a look a TMPGenc Author 1.6 It is considerably less expensive. I just never liked it much myself, but that's my bias. It might fit your needs just fine. Good luck.
Old 23-03-2006   #12
CD Freaks Senior Member

ohhhhhhhhhh wait so dvdlab pro doesnt burn the movie, it just makes the audi ts and video ts files?????

hdtv2dvd does that too so i can just use that. Also nero creates menu's so i geuss there is no need for dvdlabpro if i have hdtv2dvd and nero.

is ffmeg a good rencoder? thats hdtv2dvd uses.

Also someone told me that nero rencodes a video no matter what(even if it already is in dvd format specs). is this true?
Old 23-03-2006   #13
Administrator

Ok, somewhere in here you've switched from hdtvtompeg2 over to hdtv2dvd and I didn't notice. You're making my brain hurt.

Looking at their site, it looks like hdtv2dvd will do what you need to make your dvds---you just won't get a menu. As far as quality...I suggest trying hdtv2dvd first. See if it meets your expectations.

I have heard that NeroExpress will reencode even if it doesn't need to---one reason I just haven't messed with it. But I don't know that as a certainty.

It seems to me you'll still need a dvd authoring program if you want menus and chapters. But you can import dvd vob files into DVDLab Pro too, not just mpeg2 files. A bit slower, but it will work. Lab Pro will combine them into one mpeg file, demux and then you can insert chapter points and add a menu, so the output of hdtv2dvd will work in DVDLab Pro also.

There are some free tools for authoring dvds. Look at videohelp.com for gui for dvdauthor:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=GUI_for_dvdauthor
Check it out if you don't want Nero reencoding your video while making menus and you don't want the expense of DVDLab. Lets hope it will allow you to import a dvd, and doesn't need plain old mpeg2 files!
Old 23-03-2006   #14
CD Freaks Senior Member

ok so if im getting this correctlydvdlab pro doesnt author or burn dvd's, and it doesnt rencode or transcode?? dvdlab pro just allows you to create menus and chapters and it turns them into mpeg files?
Old 23-03-2006   #15
Administrator

An authoring tool like DVDLab Pro takes plain old mpeg2 files and puts them into a format that a dvd player can see and play---mpeg, ifo and bup files in a video_ts folder.

You can make menus in Lab Pro, even complex ones, but you don't have to have a menu or chapter points if you don't want them. Lab Pro also has the ability to start with an existing dvd and make menus and chapters for it---which is why it would work with hdtv2dvd's output.

In your case, the only reason you might want an authoring tool is to insert menus and chapters. hdtv2dvd is going to make a plain dvd with no menu from your capture files. That plain dvd can be burned in Nero and played on dvd players with no problems (in theory). But it is hard to navigate through a dvd with no chapters if you need to skip ahead or back. Hope this is relatively clear now.

DVDLab Pro does have the ability to burn dvds also, but you have to buy CopytoDVD as an add-in module. Since you already have Nero I didn't think it was important to mention it before.
Old 23-03-2006   #16
CD Freaks Senior Member

ok cool so here is my little theory that i can do.

Start out with the .ts capture file.
use hdtv2dvd to make the Video_ts and Audio_ts VOB Files.
put these files in dvdlab and make a menu and chapters with these files.
Start up clonedvd2 and burn these files
Old 23-03-2006   #17
Administrator

Ok, my question is, when do you delete the commercials? I always use VideoRedo on mpeg2 files before I author them. Never tried it on vob files.

DVDLab Pro does have the option to skip sections---notably commercials. So you might want to use it instead of VideoReDo.
Old 23-03-2006   #18
CD Freaks Senior Member

oops forgot to include womble mpeg video wizard. im aout 90 percent sure you can use .ts files with video wizard. so after the capture then i wil use mpeg video wizard to cut the commericlas out of the .ts video

UPDATE:

Yep you can. cool
Old 23-03-2006   #19
MyCE Resident

DVDlab Pro has it's own burning engine. However, if you want ot use CopyToDVD for burning, you have to install that first...

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006   #20
Administrator

Hey Chef, thanks for pointing that out. I had read about using CopyToDVD in DVDLab Pro, but hadn't noticed the other burning option. I burn dvd-video with Nero, so just hadn't explored that part of the program.
Old 23-03-2006   #21
CD Freaks Senior Member

ok two quick questions. can you use mpeg's with dvdlabpro?
ok my second question is : Say that i have two mpeg files. I use hdtv2dvd to convert both of these files serperatly into two diff VOB(AUdio_TS and VIDEO_TS) files. now when opening up dvdlabpro, can icombine these two different videos and create one menu. The reason why i ask is because these two videos are only 35 minutes each andi want to combine them on one dvd
Old 23-03-2006   #22
Administrator

Sure. Lab Pro is designed to work with mpeg files---as long as they meet the specifications needed to play as dvds. As we've pointed out, not all mpegs are encoded to be dvd compliant.

As for two videos, that is also easily done. Go to Movie at the top of the window in Lab Pro, and in the drop down list pick Add New. This will give you a second movie timeline. You'll have to build a menu that includes links to both movies.

But really, the best place to ask specific questions about DVDLab Pro is in their forums.
http://www.mmbforums.com/phpbb/ And there is a huge amount of information in the help files that come with the program.
Old 23-03-2006   #23
CD Freaks Senior Member

hmm i see im goin to go check that forum out. Just a couple more questions then im getting this dvdlabpro.

ok

Ok now if my mpeg files arent compliant when i go to add them in dvdlab pro, wil it give me a warning message stating they arent complaint and it wont wotk?

and if they are compliant and i make menus and chapters then i go to author these mpeg's does it rencode them like nero(nero rencodes again when it doesnt have. it rendcodes when the files are already dvd compliant?

What is demuxing the file?
Old 23-03-2006   #24
Administrator

DVDLab Pro will give you warning messages and it will tell you if this problem can safely be ignored (like non-closed gop's) or if it is a fatal error that the program cannot ignore.

It won't reencode. Doesn't have an encoder built into the program.

Demuxing means splitting the audio and video into seperate streams. DVDLab Pro prefers to work with them in this way. Many people set their encoders to produce seperate streams before importing them into DVDLab Pro. In your case, since you are importing whole dvd's, it will give you the option to use the files as is, or split them. If you choose not to demux, it will tell you "don't blame me if they aren't compliant"

Again, I recommend getting the trial version first. Just to make sure you like the program and have time getting accustomed to the controls. Have fun.
Old 23-03-2006   #25
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
DVDLab Pro will give you warning messages and it will tell you if this problem can safely be ignored (like non-closed gop's) or if it is a fatal error that the program cannot ignore.
Ok what are non closed gop's and what will happen if dvdlabpro ignores them?

Quote:
Demuxing means splitting the audio and video into seperate streams. DVDLab Pro prefers to work with them in this way. Many people set their encoders to produce seperate streams before importing them into DVDLab Pro. In your case, since you are importing whole dvd's, it will give you the option to use the files as is, or split them. If you choose not to demux, it will tell you "don't blame me if they aren't compliant"
ok so if hdtv2dvd's output files contain video_ts files in a video_ts folder and Audio_ts folder with no files, does that mean hdtv2dvd didnt give me any Audio_ts files?
Thats what the output had. video but not audio files when it finished converting in hdtv2dvd.
Also is that what you meant by producing seperate streams. just two different folders???? and if i do choose to do seperate streams can i still burn these streeams togther in clonedvd2