Old 08-09-2012   #1
Administrator

BD Rebuilder's new input capabilities

Yesterday, Sept. 7th, jdobbs released a new version of BD Rebuilder with some interesting input changes. Now you can import dvd-video, or mkv or mp4 files that use H264, mpeg or VC-1 video.

I've been testing the way BD Rebuilder imports dvd-video, and it seems to be a bit of a kludge. Instead of rewriting the import functions, jdobbs has added the ability to convert dvd-video to blu ray format (without re-encoding anything). So the program goes through the steps necessary to make a blu ray video out of the dvd input, and is then ready to work with this new blu ray. Its actually a pretty fast process. The dvd I used was converted to blu ray format in three minutes.

It took me a minute to realize that the dvd video was ready to process. Once you hit the button to import the video, the program takes off and changes it automatically, but it stops everything once the new blu ray is made. You have to hit Backup to start the conversion to whatever your final target is.

Using a copy on the hard drive as my source, it took BD Rebuilder three minutes to convert to blu ray, then 32 minutes to convert to a mkv file with H264. This is a 2hr, 24 minute long movie. I used a one pass CRF encode with the default setting of 20, no auto trimming of black bars, and made a custom output to allow the AC3 audio to pass through without changes.

The resulting file is 2.15gb from a 4.3gb dvd, which is not a huge change in size I realize, but quality is excellent.

I tried a similar setup in Handbrake, which took 32 minutes altogether and resulted in a 1.89gb sized file. Also excellent quality. Handbrake, even on the High setting outputs High@L3.0. BD Rebuilder seems to use High@L4.1 unless you use one of the presets for portables.

I accidentally did one encode with Handbrake using the Normal setting, instead of High format. It was done in 9 minutes, and I couldn't see any difference in quality on my computer.

I've been trying to use MediaCoder to test the Intel encoder available with my new i5 3570K processor, but it has been an exercise in frustration so far. It fails in remuxing most of the time. And if I remux manually outside the program, I get audio/sync issues. Doing just the video, no audio, took about 7 minutes, but it is not worth the effort if it screws up sync every time. I'm going to try using AviSynth instead of the default source. Edit: Well, that didn't work.
Kerry56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #2
MyCE Resident

Not doing bluray but this should make it useful to me for the mkv with h264 creation.
I've already used the "inspect.exe " in version I have.
Old 09-09-2012   #3
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
I accidentally did one encode with Handbrake using the Normal setting, instead of High format. It was done in 9 minutes, and I couldn't see any difference in quality on my computer.
There's only one scene so far where I can see the difference between Normal and High Profile for Blu-ray encoding with Handbrake x264 when staring closely at my computer screen. When looking normally on my HDTV I can't even see that difference.

This is even with RF (quality) settings of around 23-24.

Admittedly, I have only encoded a few so far, but for me the 150-200% increase in encoding time isn't worth it unless I can see a problem with the "Normal" encode (RF-23).

As always, your mileage may vary.
Old 11-09-2012   #4
Administrator

I've always stuck to the RF 20 in Handbrake, and have been very happy with the results. There are only going to be minor variations in encoding parameters between Handbrake's High settings and the ones that jdobbs is using in this program.

I haven't had time to test a different input format, but that will be the next step.
Old 14-09-2012   #5
Administrator

To bring a dvd video or mkv or mp4 file into BD Rebuilder, jdobbs added an Import line under the File heading at the top left of the main window. So click on File-->Import-->type of video.

I tried with an mp4 input file, and BD Rebuilder made another pseudo blu ray before processing it to my final target. But it only took a couple of minutes to do this extra step. So this works ok. You'll need a lot of room now in your target folder since you now have a fake blu ray, the working folders and the intended output all in the same area. I generally wait to delete the extras until after I've tested the output.
Old 17-09-2012   #6
Administrator

By the way, I was wrong about avi files not being included. That type of input is specifically mentioned in the File-->Import-->type of video list. MOV files are also supported.
Old 25-11-2012   #7

I've had success making lossless rips of BDs using makemkv or pavtube bytecopy (makemkv is better with subtitles it seems), but I am experimenting with handbrake to compress the mkvs down to high-quality video while still keeping the audio in lossless format; I am wondering if anyone can post some successful handbrake (hopefully easy) settings for a sweetspot in 1080p and 720p conversions?
ginop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012   #8
Administrator

I don't think anyone can give you a cut and dried answer to this ginop. How you set up the X264 encoder varies according to the device you are going to play the video on. Some of the settings are not compatible with portable devices, for example.

There are also different settings according to the type of movie you are compressing. Animation benefits from certain settings...more B frames for example, and higher number of reference frames, but these make the output unsuitable for some portables.

And movies that have a lot of action sequences can benefit from one of the slower motion estimation profiles, like Uneven Multi-Hex.

Most people seem to do ok with the default settings, once they pick the type of output device they want to use. I personally play movies on an HTPC, so I use the High Profile setting. If I am concerned about higher quality I might adjust the quality setting from its default 20 to 18. And there are some other settings you can tinker with in the Advanced tab, but most of the ones that will increase quality will also slow the encoding process.
Old 26-11-2012   #9

Thanks for your reply! Yes good point - sorry - let me specify - my intensions are for HTPC and/or playstation from bluray - I've tried the constant quality from 20 to 18 but they seem to create bloated files in comparison to 15000kbps bitrate. Below are my exported preferences - perhaps this will best explain what I am trying to do... thank you all for any help you could offer:

Quote:
<plist>
<array>
<dict>
<key>AudioList</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>AudioBitrate</key>
<string>0</string>
<key>AudioEncoder</key>
<string>DTS-HD Passthru</string>
<key>AudioMixdown</key>
<string>Automatic</string>
<key>AudioSamplerate</key>
<string>Auto</string>
<key>AudioTrack</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>AudioTrackDRCSlider</key>
<real>0</real>
<key>AudioTrackDescription</key>
<string>Unknown</string>
<key>AudioTrackGainSlider</key>
<real>0</real>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>AudioBitrate</key>
<string>320</string>
<key>AudioEncoder</key>
<string>AC3 (ffmpeg)</string>
<key>AudioMixdown</key>
<string>Dolby Surround</string>
<key>AudioSamplerate</key>
<string>Auto</string>
<key>AudioTrack</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>AudioTrackDRCSlider</key>
<real>0</real>
<key>AudioTrackDescription</key>
<string>Unknown</string>
<key>AudioTrackGainSlider</key>
<real>0</real>
</dict>
</array>
<key>AudioAllowAACPass</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>AudioAllowAC3Pass</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>AudioAllowDTSHDPass</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>AudioAllowDTSPass</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>AudioAllowMP3Pass</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>AudioEncoderFallback</key>
<string>AC3 (ffmpeg)</string>
<key>ChapterMarkers</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>Default</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>FileFormat</key>
<string>MKV file</string>
<key>Folder</key>
<false />
<key>Mp4HttpOptimize</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>Mp4LargeFile</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>Mp4iPodCompatible</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>PictureAutoCrop</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>PictureBottomCrop</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>PictureDeblock</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>PictureDecomb</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>PictureDecombCustom</key>
<string />
<key>PictureDecombDeinterlace</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>PictureDeinterlace</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>PictureDeinterlaceCustom</key>
<string />
<key>PictureDenoise</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>PictureDenoiseCustom</key>
<string />
<key>PictureDetelecine</key>
<integer>2</integer>
<key>PictureDetelecineCustom</key>
<string />
<key>PictureHeight</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>PictureKeepRatio</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>PictureLeftCrop</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>PictureModulus</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>PicturePAR</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>PictureRightCrop</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>PictureTopCrop</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>PictureWidth</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>PresetBuildNumber</key>
<string>2012071700</string>
<key>PresetDescription</key>
<string>No Description</string>
<key>PresetName</key>
<string>CustomBDResize</string>
<key>Type</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>UsesMaxPictureSettings</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>UsesPictureFilters</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>UsesPictureSettings</key>
<integer>2</integer>
<key>VideoAvgBitrate</key>
<string>15000</string>
<key>VideoEncoder</key>
<string>H.264 (x264)</string>
<key>VideoFramerate</key>
<string />
<key>VideFrameratePFR</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>VideoGrayScale</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>VideoQualitySlider</key>
<real />
<key>VideoQualityType</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>VideoTargetSize</key>
<string />
<key>VideoTurboTwoPass</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>VideoTwoPass</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>x264Option</key>
<string>b-adapt=2:rc-lookahead=50:cabac=0:weightp=0:psy-rd=1.00,0.20:ref=4:bframes=4</string>
</dict>
</array>
</plist>

Last edited by Liggy; 26-11-2012 at 10:24. Reason: turned off automatic smileys
ginop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012   #10
Administrator

The X264 options line is a bit sparse, and that is where I normally look. For example, here are the encoding parameters from a file I have on the hard drive:

Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=8 / deblock=1:-1:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.10 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-3 / threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=4000 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.20

Not to say that you should try to follow these settings, but this is what you will see if you inspect your mkv file with MediaInfo.

From what I could see, why cabac=0 in yours? Not using High Profile?
Old 26-11-2012   #11
Senior Administrator

Turned off smileys in ginop's post. That makes the x264 line a bit more readable

Unrequested PM about drive problems will not be answered!
Liggy is offline   Reply With Quote