Old 19-04-2007   #1
CD Freaks Rookie

Audio and Video Progressively Out of Sync

Hi,

I've been trying to rip some episodic DVDs to my computer. I first ran into a problem when the DVDs wouldn't completely rip. I tried about 5 different rippers and none of them could rip them all the way through. I kept receiving an I/O error message. When I watched them on my DVD player, I found that the problem isn't with my computer/DVD drive but the DVDs themselves have the problem . . . they wouldn't play all the way through on my DVD player either.

Now I have another problem. The episodes on the disks start out with the audio and video in sync but as they continue through the DVD, they get progressively more and more out of sync. The video is ahead of the audio.

Is there a program that I can use to get them in sync?

Hart
Denise_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007   #2
CD Freaks Rookie

Re: Audio and Video Progressively Out of Sync

I read this in one of the posts here at CDFreaks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
DVDLab is not a magical audio sync tool, it is a DVD authoring tool, that just happens to have an option to adjust audio delay in relation to video.
You can do this in many programs, virtualdub/mod, Goldwave, Audacity, Soundforge, to name a few.
Is there a guide that I can use or could someone tell me how I can put the audio/video in sync using VirtualDubMod?
Old 19-04-2007   #3
MyCE Resident

Google for Virtualdub, there are darn many guides out there.

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007   #4
Retired Senior Moderator

VirtualDUBMod is a tool for editing AVI's and not DVD's.

Since you have only a part ripped DVD, and those that you did are out of sync, then are you trying to recover the episodes that you were able to recover only? If it is, its not going to be a simple process. Read up the Tutorial post here at CDFreaks to give you some idea of what your up against. By the way, is the audio AC3 2ch or 5ch or something else?

Please don't PM me with technical questions, use the Forum, that's what it's here for.
ChickenMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007   #5
Administrator

There is a tool in VideoReDo Plus that can fix small sync problems in mpeg files. It is called Quickstream Fix. VideoReDo can handle vob files found in dvds, but you'd have to either do each episode individually or merge them all into one big mpeg file.

You'd have to reauthor back to dvd format too if you want to play them in a stand-alone player. This isn't a simple problem you're trying to solve.

There is a free trial of VideoReDo Plus available if you want to try it. To reauthor, get a free trial of TMPGenc Author 2.0 or a free authoring tool like GUIforDVDAuthor.
Kerry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007   #6
CD Freaks Rookie

Sorry that I didn't answer sooner but I didn't receive an email that anyone had responded to my question.

As of now, I'm able to rip each of the DVDs in their entirety using DVD Decrypter or RipIt4Me. If I use RipIt4Me, I also use FixVTS but it doesn't syncronize the audio and video. I've been Googling the problem and it seems like a lot of people have the same problem.

I found the following response somewhere. I saw no difference in the syncronization when I opened the file with MediaPlayer Classic and adjusted the audio time shift, whether I set the time shift to -1000 or +1000 and down to -100,000 and up to +100,000.

Quote:
Open the AVI in Media Player Classic. Right-click the screen and go Options->Filter->Audio Switcher->check the "audio time shift" box, and fill in an estimate of the amount of asynch. Hit "Apply" and test it out. Negative values are to make the audio play earlier. 1000 ms= 1 second. Resume playback. Adjust until you get it right. At that point you'll know how much the audio is out of synch and how much to set the delay in VDubMod. Then open the AVI in VDubMod, set the Video for Direct Stream Copy, go Streams->Stream List->Right-click the audio->Interleaving->Audio Skew Correction, and set the same delay as you found using MPC. OK your way out of there, go File->Save As, give it a new name, wait a minute or 2, and test it out.
I just found this suggestion but I haven't tried it yet:

Quote:
If the audio is AC3, then use DelayCut to do away with the delay. If the audio is originally a second off from the video, then in DelayCut, set the delay for 1000 ms (either + or -, depending on if the audio plays before or after the video), to either cut a second from the beginning of the audio file, or to add a second of silence to the beginning of the audio file. Then mux the video with the fixed audio.
I've Googled "VirutalDub" and "VirtualDub guide" and the results were poor and of no help.

Since I want .avi files and not .mpeg files, VideoReDo Plus isn't a program that I want, but thanks for your suggestion.

When I rip the DVDs, each one has between 7 to 10 episodes on it with 4 or 5 VOB files. I want the audio/video in sync so I convert each VOB file to .avi files by itself. If an episode is split between 2 VOB files, I join those VOB files using VOBedit and IFOedit, convert them to avi's, and then split out the episode(s). It's a lot of work and very time consuming but it's the only method I've found that works.

I'm not planning on burning the episodes . . . I just want them in my pc, so converting the files to burn them isn't a concern for me.

The audio is AC3.

The video is ahead of the audio so if someone can give me a url where there are instructions to re-sync the episodes after I've converted them to .avi files, I'd appreciate it.

Hart
Old 28-04-2007   #7
CD Freaks Rookie

When I opened VirtualDub and VirtualDubMod, I could find any button/setting for "DelayCut"

Anyone know where it is?
Old 28-04-2007   #8
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise_M
I've Googled "VirutalDub" and "VirtualDub guide" and the results were poor and of no help.

I did the same and the first hit was:
http://www.doom9.org/virtualdub_procedures.htm

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007   #9
MyCE Senior Member

IN VD, audio delay is set by Audio > Interleaving > Audio Skew Correction

All of the options you listed above will not work if your audio is progressively out of sync. All of those methods just adjust the starting audio delay so it will sync to the video. In the past when I run into progressive sync issues, I just find the total time difference of the out of sync, and stretch/shrink the audio so it matches the duration of the video. So if at the end of your video the audio is 5.5 seconds to slow, I'll stretch the audio using Cool Edit (or Audacity) that amount until it syncs. It's just trial and error and will be time consuming to fix the problem.
Old 29-04-2007   #10
CD Freaks Rookie

Hi,

You all pointed me in the right direction and even mentioned the steps so I don't take any credit for the solution that I used. This might not be the easiest solution or the best solution and you gurus are probably all throwing your hands up and shaking your heads in disbelief that I (and others) don't already know this method, but it worked for me and I hope someone else can use the info, or maybe it can point someone in a general direction (the reason for my mentioning very basic steps). I never used VirtualDub as a program unto itself . . . it was only used in conjunction with AutoGK, which automatically called on VirtualDub to process files.

This DVD set was unusual in that the episodes weren't split into their own files. There were between 7 and 10 episodes in one large file on a DVD which, I think, caused the audio and video to go progressively out of sync.

I decrypted the DVDs using several decrypters and no matter what decrypter I used, it didn't affect the solution. After I decrypted them, I ran them through AutoGK. AutoGK gives the option to convert the files by using the first VOB file or the IFO file. I usually choose the IFO file for no particular reason. AutoGK converted the VOB files into an avi file. I then split the episodes out of the large avi file but during playback, the audio and video for the first and maybe second episode were synchronized. After that, the episodes were out of sync with no set pattern. After a lot of research on the net and trying VOBEdit along with IFOEdit and RipIt4Me along with FixVTS (neither of them fixed the sync problem) I found that if I ran the episodes through VirtualDub, I could get them in sync as follows:

1. OPEN VIRTUALDUB
2. OPEN THE FILE YOU WANT TO SYNCHRONIZE: CLICK ON FILE -> OPEN -> LOCATE AND CLICK ON FILE YOU WANT TO SYNCHRONIZE
3. CLICK ON VIDEO -> CHOOSE DIRECT STREAM PROCESSING
4. CLICK ON AUDIO -> CHOOSE INTERLEAVING
5. IF AUDIO LAGS BEHIND VIDEO: ENTER A MINUS NUMBER IN THE “DELAY AUDIO TRACK BY” BOX (EXAMPLE: -200)
6. IF VIDEO LAGS BEHIND AUDIO: ENTER A POSITIVE NUMBER IN THE “DELAY AUDIO TRACK BY” BOX (EXAMPLE: 200)
7. CLICK ON FILE -> CLICK ON "SAVE AS AVI" -> TYPE IN NEW FILE NAME

It didn't take more than 1/2 minute to get an episode in sync.