Old 22-05-2005   #1
New on Forum

Audio and Video are out of sync on dvd! HELP

I am new here but I trust your rep here for knowing everything about copying anything!

I bought a dvd and the audio and the video are about 1.5 seconds apart (the audio is ahead of the video) How can i fix it? When i try ripping the dvd as an mpeg using tmpgnc the video and audio stall halfway thru, always at the same point. If i could do that i can stretch the audio with adobe premire. Is there a program that will rip it to an mpeg or other editable format while also avoiding the error above??

thanks for all your help, i appreciate it!
qballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2005   #2
CD Freaks Senior Member

Re: Audio and Video are out of sync on dvd! HELP

"I bought a dvd and the audio and the video are about 1.5 seconds apart"

If this happens on the original that you bought I would take it back and get a replacement.

"When i try ripping the dvd as an mpeg using tmpgnc "

Tmpgenc won't rip a dvd. Use dvdshrink or dvddecrypter (both free) on the newer copy-protecet dvd's.

After ripping if you want to make a mpeg of the ripped dvd on your hard drive use Tmpgenc dvd Author (different than Tmpgenc). Load the dvd (from your hard drive)in TDA. Save the output as an mpeg for editing. This way their's no re-encoding etc and no loss of quality and much faster.
tigerman8u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2005   #3
New on Forum

thanks alot i will give TDA a try, i will keep you posted
Old 24-05-2005   #4
MyCE Resident

You could even use tools like IfoEdit / DVDlab to correct that timeset for video + audio.

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2005   #5
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qballl
thanks alot i will give TDA a try, i will keep you posted
you're welcome and let us know of your success
Old 25-05-2005   #6
New on Forum

how does info edit work? and are info edit and dvd lab different programs?

thanks for the help, i really appreciate it.
Old 26-05-2005   #7
New on Forum

DVD LAB RULES!
I demuxed the vob files, encoded the audio to ac3, delayed the audio 1500ms, and then i complied the dvd to the harddrive and burnt with clonedvd.

THANKS ALOT CDFREAKS!
Old 26-05-2005   #8
CD Freaks Senior Member

Glad to hear of your success
Old 26-05-2005   #9
CD Freaks Junior Member

I have been following this thread as I have the same problem and looks like a few people do. So I guess I should look up DVD Lab? I wonder if it will work on what I have downloaded. Probably Pal and convert to NTSC that and they are DivX AVI. Do you think it will work? I'll take a look for DVD Lab.
Neal.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005   #10
CD Freaks Junior Member

Wowsers! Big Bucks and probably in US currency too. Might be over my head to use. My problem is that when I play the video on my computer from the hard drive it is fine. When I burn it to disc and play the disc in Power DVD or on a stand alone player the sound and video go out of sync as the video progresses through the program. In Windows Media Player I get no sound at all. Do you experts, or smarter people, think that DVD Lab is the answer to my problem? That's besides being very, very old and a flunky truck driver.
Thanks,
Neal.
Old 26-05-2005   #11
CD Freaks Senior Member

DVDLab is not a magical audio sync tool, it is a DVD authoring tool, that just happens to have an option to adjust audio delay in relation to video.
You can do this in many programs, virtualdub/mod, Goldwave, Audacity, Soundforge, to name a few.
Quote:
My problem is that when I play the video on my computer from the hard drive it is fine.
What plays on your computer (probably in Windows Media Player), has almost NOTHING to do with what will play on a burned disk, or on a standalone player.

You need to find out what type of audio the file uses, at what frequency, and then transcode it to a DVD spec audio file.
Because the burn doesn't have audio in WMP, I would suspect AC3, for which you have no decoder on your system.

If sync is out the same amount through the file, a simple delay at the beginning of audio will usually fix it.
If it is progressive desync (audio starts out fine, then get's more out of sync through the file), it is usually much more difficult to fix.

For all these problems, there are already guides and hundreds of posts on fixing.

For beginners guide to DVDLab, start here: http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=220092

30 day, fully functional demo available at www.mediachance.com
Old 26-05-2005   #12
CD Freaks Junior Member

Thanks reboot! Looks like I have some work (and reading) to do. My problem is the sound progressively going out of sync. First to find out what type of audio it uses. I'll look in the other posts to see how I do that.
Thanks for your patients.
Neal.
Old 26-05-2005   #13
CD Freaks Junior Member

In an effort to analyze the disc I used DVD Decrypter. Does this tell me what i need to know?

"0x80 - Audio - AC3 / 2ch / 48kHz / DRC / LBA: 34 / PTS: 00:00:00.284 / Delay: -33ms
0xE0 - Video - MPEG-2 / 720x480 (NTSC) / 4:3 / LBA: 1 / PTS: 00:00:00.317 / Delay: 0ms"

Does the "Delay: -33ms" tell me something? Do you think that is part of my out of sync problem?

I hate being a pain but even searching the forums I am having trouble finding a starting point. Most of the info is so vast and detailed and honestly over my head that I don't know if I am even reading what I need to know for my problem. I have gathered that lazy noobies are not the favourite posters.
Neal.

Last edited by Neal; 26-05-2005 at 22:03.
Old 26-05-2005   #14
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal
I have been following this thread as I have the same problem and looks like a few people do. So I guess I should look up DVD Lab? I wonder if it will work on what I have downloaded. Probably Pal and convert to NTSC that and they are DivX AVI. Do you think it will work? I'll take a look for DVD Lab.
Neal.
Converting pal to ntsc involves changing the video fps. This is typically where you get the audio video sync going out more as the video plays longer. If you look at your avi's you will probably see a non-standard video fps mpeg 1/2 also. This type of audio sync is harder to fix than when the audio is the same thru-out the whole video. IMO the best way to fix this is to de-mux the audio/video. Encode the video/audio seperately. Check to see that the encoded audio/video are of the same length and correct if need be then mux the audio/video together. Better encoders will do a better job of syncing the audio/video when encoded together.
Old 27-05-2005   #15
CD Freaks Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerman8u
Converting pal to ntsc involves changing the video fps. This is typically where you get the audio video sync going out more as the video plays longer. If you look at your avi's you will probably see a non-standard video fps mpeg 1/2 also. This type of audio sync is harder to fix than when the audio is the same thru-out the whole video. IMO the best way to fix this is to de-mux the audio/video. Encode the video/audio seperately. Check to see that the encoded audio/video are of the same length and correct if need be then mux the audio/video together. Better encoders will do a better job of syncing the audio/video when encoded together.
Over my head tigerman8u but thanks for the advice. I think when I have accidentaly done something I do read that the video is mpeg 2.
"de-mux" eh? Encode video/audio seperately. OK. Any ideas what program I should use for these processes?
Neal
Old 28-08-2005   #16
New on Forum

This is my first time on this but I am having the same problem with A/V sync using pennicle studo 9 and trying to convert family videos to DVD. They usually start out in sync but go out of sync soon. I am using a 2.8 P4 with 1GB DDR ram. The machine is set to use Hyper threading. The MB has on board sound. I have tried both firewire from my digital camera and capturing as mpeg2 or DV as well as analog input capturing with a pennicle capture card. The analog capture usually also causes an additional problem with dropped frames. The out of sync becomes obvious during blayback on the machine as well as in a final burned DVD. I am wondering if i need to invest in a PCI sound card if that would make any difference. I don't see how that would make any difference with the firewire input. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
mikeorjanem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2005   #17
Video editing software expert

Make sure you defrag your hard drive, and if you have two hard drives, make sure you capture to the one without the operating system on it. Also make sure that you shutdown unnecessary background tasks before capturing. I have done dozens and dozens of captures, without any sync issues at all by following these guidelines.

IN WIN Dragon Rider case, Asrock z68 extreme4, core I7 2600k @4.0, cm hyper 212 plus, 8gb Gskill 1600mhz cl8 memory,EVGA GTX 970 FTW, Samsung pinpoint f3 1tb 7200 rpm hdd, Crucial M4 128gb SSD, wd 600gb velociraptor, 4tb NAS, win 7 pro 64bit, Samsung S203N DVD burner,LG bluray burner, Dell 27" U2713HM, Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1

C2D E6550,3gb DDR2-800mhz,150gb 10000rpm raptor (R.I.P.) - replaced with 180GB Intel 330 SSD ,1TB sata hdd, geforce 8800 gt, Vista Ultimate, Hanspree 25" LCD ,Samsung bluray DVD reader\dvd\rw16x, Samsung S203N, ADS Pyro A/V Link,Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1 SS
harley2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2005   #18
New on Forum

Thanks harley2ride. I am using two HDs. The primary is a 120gb 7200 IDE and the secondary is a 250gb 7200. I have been capturing to the secondary but the pinnacle studio 9 is on the primary. Does that matter? Thanks
Old 30-08-2005   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeorjanem
Thanks harley2ride. I am using two HDs. The primary is a 120gb 7200 IDE and the secondary is a 250gb 7200. I have been capturing to the secondary but the pinnacle studio 9 is on the primary. Does that matter? Thanks
You are doing like you should. I'm guessing that you are capturing to a pinnacle card? Is that correct?

IN WIN Dragon Rider case, Asrock z68 extreme4, core I7 2600k @4.0, cm hyper 212 plus, 8gb Gskill 1600mhz cl8 memory,EVGA GTX 970 FTW, Samsung pinpoint f3 1tb 7200 rpm hdd, Crucial M4 128gb SSD, wd 600gb velociraptor, 4tb NAS, win 7 pro 64bit, Samsung S203N DVD burner,LG bluray burner, Dell 27" U2713HM, Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1

C2D E6550,3gb DDR2-800mhz,150gb 10000rpm raptor (R.I.P.) - replaced with 180GB Intel 330 SSD ,1TB sata hdd, geforce 8800 gt, Vista Ultimate, Hanspree 25" LCD ,Samsung bluray DVD reader\dvd\rw16x, Samsung S203N, ADS Pyro A/V Link,Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1 SS
Old 31-08-2005   #20
New on Forum

Actually i have had better success capturing through firewire as a digital signal from my Sony digital camcorder. I tried to capture as analog with pinnacle card but I had some problems with dropped frames.
Old 31-08-2005   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeorjanem
Actually i have had better success capturing through firewire as a digital signal from my Sony digital camcorder. I tried to capture as analog with pinnacle card but I had some problems with dropped frames.
Check out www.videoguys.com . They have some good information on hardware and sofware for video capture and editing. I would recommend upgrading to a Plextor USB/Firewire capture device, Canopus, or ADS Pyro. These are all semi-professional grade, and do an outstanding job, for just a little more money than the cheap stuff. If you watch FROOGLE and EBAY, you can find some pretty good deals. For example, I got my ADS PYRO AV/LINK, and Adobe Premiere 6.5 all for around $80.00.

Old 16-01-2006   #22
New on Forum

Hi,

Similarly to previous posts I have purchased DVDs of television shows on eBay and the audio is slightly ahead of the picture. I usually use either Dell Media Experience or WMP. Many of the solutions above involve burning DVDs but I am wondering if there is a way (with either a specific program, codec or another player altogether) that I can rectify this problem. I would obviously prefer not returning the item seeing as I assume they are all the same and I'd like to avoid shipping costs, again. I would also like to avoid having to rip the DVDs onto my hard drive or burning them onto blanks (I have a total of 69 discs which I suspect all have the same problem).

Thank you ahead of time for your help,

Merk
Merk-Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007   #23
New on Forum

I just registered to get expertise in all of this. I downloaded an .avi video. As an audio codec it using a morgan stream switcher. This whole video is out of sync from start to finish. I've downloaded all the programs that reboot has mentioned and some of the programs dont even support the file. I just want to know what program is the best in this situation and where can I get a little guidance once I get the tool I need. Thanks.
styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007   #24
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by styles
I just registered to get expertise in all of this. I downloaded an .avi video. As an audio codec it using a morgan stream switcher. This whole video is out of sync from start to finish. I've downloaded all the programs that reboot has mentioned and some of the programs dont even support the file. I just want to know what program is the best in this situation and where can I get a little guidance once I get the tool I need. Thanks.

That is the problem.
Start reading guides at videohelp.com ...

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007   #25
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chef_
That is the problem.
Start reading guides at videohelp.com ...
the problem is people assume you know so much about something that they start to talk down on people but whatever thanks anyway
styles is offline   Reply With Quote