Old 16-03-2008   #1
MyCE Junior Member

XP can't play MOV files

I copy some video files, from a VISTA PC, in a USB stick. All files shown as MOV files at VISTA. When I try to transfer them on a Windows XP PC, all files shown there as PDVD Mpeg files, and XP can't play them.

My question: Is it possible that MOV files on VISTA have some kind of copy protection? If yes then how I can play them on XP? Any suggestions?

VISTA PC is a friend's PC, he took the files from a friend and they play fine in his PC. My friend don't has PowerDVD installed, so why in XP filles shown as PDVD mpeg files? And why XP can't play them as I have installed all the codecs I need to play medfia files? (K-LITE 3.8.0 FULL)

Thank you
Old 16-03-2008   #2
Administrator

Re: XP can't play MOV files

Have you tried opening them with another media player, like VLC? Or tried installing Quicktime or Quicktime Alternative?
Kerry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008   #3
MyCE Junior Member

Yes I have quick time installed on XP. Even Windows media player 11, can play MOV files, and media player clasic can play them too.

Funny think is that on VISTA SHOWN as MOV (wich mean apple quicktime movies) and on XP as PDVD mpeg files (Power DVD files)

But even they are MP4 files, or MOV files should have no problem play them with media player clasic. It can handle such files. (K-LITE CODECS pack).

Why XP list them different from VISTA? What more on VISTA that XP don't have?
As I don't have VISTA not very familiar with this OS.
Old 16-03-2008   #4
Administrator

I don't know what is going on with your file associations, nor why they won't play on such a wide variety of players.

You can open them with Gspot video utility and check to see the codec used to make them. Gspot will also show any possible methods of playing the files that are available in your XP machine, but there may be a missing codec if nothing is working so far. Are they high definition files by any chance?
Kerry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008   #5
MyCE Junior Member

Wish I knew, if is High definition. As I said I took them from a friend who took them from another friend, but both these have VISTA, I have XP.

Thank you for remind me the Gspot video utility , already have it but forgot it. I'll try it out.

Thank you again. Maybe with Gspot I short out the problem.
Old 16-03-2008   #6
MyCE Resident

I use VLC and have never had a problem, never had to DL a codec or anything else when using VLC, even plays .bins and .isos and practically ANYTHING.
Drives:
Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-860H 1.02
Lite-On LTR-52327S QS0E

Media:
Verbatim DVD+/-R 16x MCC 004 & MCC 03RG20
Fujifilm CD-R 48x Taiyo Yuden Company Limited
Ripgut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripgut View Post
I use VLC and have never had a problem, never had to DL a codec or anything else when using VLC, even plays .bins and .isos and practically ANYTHING.
I have WMP 12 here as well as VLC and QT. Even with the necessary codecs installed. Neither WMP or VLC can open the MOV files. QT can open them but I am required to install/update MediaPass before the MOV files can be viewed. So far this applies to about 95% of the MOV files that I have tried to open.
Jeffs7180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010   #8
Senior Moderator

Hi and Welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs7180 View Post
(...)QT can open them but I am required to install/update MediaPass before the MOV files can be viewed. So far this applies to about 95% of the MOV files that I have tried to open.
seems you have some spyware or similar installed

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciahel View Post
Hi and Welcome!seems you have some spyware or similar installed

Michael

This only applies to MOV and QT files aquired using Limewire. MOV/QT files aquired elsewhere seem to play fine with either WMP or QTP. I have refused and have no intention to install mediapass. It seems like some entity is trying to use people's desire to view MOV/QT files to get them to install undesired software.
Jeffs7180 is offline   Reply With Quote