Old 20-11-2003   #1
CD Freaks Junior Member

Wiping of "empty space"

Are there any good freeware tools for erasing deleted files from the harddisk?
I meen rewriting multiple times on the "deleted files" so that they are as close to unreadable as any software can do..

Any tips?
Old 20-11-2003   #2
CD Freaks VIP

Eraser made by Sami Tolvanen is one such program, it can be set to overwrite a file from 1 to 35 times and can also do the same to unused HDD space.
See http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/
Old 20-11-2003   #3
CD Freaks Member

I agree with Portmac, I've used eraser for quite some time and its great.
FastGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2003   #4
CD Freaks Fartman

there's also cyberscrub from here http://www.cyberscrub.com/ in my opinion it is one of the best if not the best.

/edit It seems they dont offer the free version anymore. I still have the free version if you would like to try it just let me know i'll email it to you

Join Us! Here at cdfreaks
"Space. . . It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."

Chat Quotes
[4:44pm] * @taHkroW dubs SK the best king of the world.
DO NOT message me asking about diablo 2 .mpq files you will not get a response.
slayerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2003   #5
CD Freaks Junior Member

This is not totally free, but the trial is full & not time limited.

http://www.gregorybraun.com/CleanUp.html

It's simple, works great, Just be sure to set the options before using it.

I turned off the "delete cookies", otherwise you got to remember all your logins @ forums like this one and enter them again.

==== paste ------>
Disk CleanUp 2000 is a small disk utility designed to clear previously deleted files. Deleting a file will normally just remove the file's directory entry, but the data itself still remains on the disk. CleanUp will completely eliminate the contents of your deleted files.

Disk CleanUp provides options to specify an NSA approved disk erasure method and background execution priority. Disk CleanUp works with any FAT16 or FAT32 hard drive, as well as Microsoft Windows NTFS volumes.

Disk CleanUp 2000 can also be configured to optionally erase temporary files from web browser and user-defined folders.

Disk CleanUp 2000 now includes DiskWipe, a small console utility that performs the same functions as Disk CleanUp, but can be used with MS DOS or in a batch command file.

Disk CleanUp 2000 can be configured to optionally place its program icon in the taskbar notification tray.

Click on the following link to view a screen shot of Disk CleanUp
http://www.gregorybraun.com/CleanUp_ss.html
====>...end paste

as for "multipass" , yes it will do it, and you have your choice of about 15 major security wipe styles.

However I tested it with the simple "write zeros' one time pass.

and then tried to find anything on the deleted space. I tried GetDataBack & also several forensic appz such as EnCase.

All reported nothing but ZEROs, they could find nothing.
If you have such security needs for multipass so you can remove residual magnatism, then your security needs are far beyond "freeware". ..and I wish you the best of luck at whatever you're doing.

Anyway, you can wipe your empty space all you like, but what about the files still on your system ?
henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2003   #6
CD Freaks Fartman

@Henry
Of course file recovery programs wont find anything that's what the erase programs are for, But it won't stop forensic scientists from getting the info, That's what the DOD and GUTMANN wipes are for. No one will get anything back if you use those methods. If you use anything below the DOD method and you get busted for doing illegal stuff (<Bad)might as well kiss your arse goodbye.

"Space. . . It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."

Chat Quotes
Old 21-11-2003   #7
CD Freaks Senior Member

Re: Wiping of "empty space"

Quote:
Originally posted by kloms
Are there any good freeware tools for erasing deleted files from the harddisk?
I meen rewriting multiple times on the "deleted files" so that they are as close to unreadable as any software can do..

Any tips?
Just remember the only true way to get rid of the data is to physically destroy the HHD platters.
Old 22-11-2003   #8
CD Freaks Junior Member

re:slayerking

yeah, I agree. That app I linked to does all that & more, including KGB methods of clean up. But the "real world" problem is that someone can clear their empty space perfectly, yet have plenty of "problem material" left on their drive.

Except when selling an old HDD I guess. Or maybe doing someone on one computer just for awhile then making it totally clean. Or hearing about friends in touble & deciding to "get religion".
henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2003   #9
Retired Administrator & Reviewer

Not free but you could have alook at Evidence Eliminator. It wipes HD space and generally cleans up your entire computer.
Old 22-11-2003   #10
CD Freaks Fartman

Quote:
Originally posted by Womble
Not free but you could have alook at Evidence Eliminator. It wipes HD space and generally cleans up your entire computer.
Hi womble I've read a lot of reviews of evidence eliminator and not one of them was good, It seems they say that it wipes the drive but when you run high level data recovery software you see that it has done nothing at all.

here are some links to the reviews and others:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/...ce-eliminator/

http://ee-sucks.tripod.com/

http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index....pic=5910&st=15

more if you want them

Chat Quotes
Old 22-11-2003   #11
Retired Administrator & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally posted by slayerking
Hi womble I've read a lot of reviews of evidence eliminator and not one of them was good, It seems they say that it wipes the drive but when you run high level data recovery software you see that it has done nothing at all.

here are some links to the reviews and others:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/...ce-eliminator/

http://ee-sucks.tripod.com/

http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index....pic=5910&st=15

more if you want them

Damn. Looks like I have some reading to do then.
Old 26-11-2003   #12
CD Freaks Fartman

yeah, I installed evidence eliminator about 2 years ago and after about a week a message popped up saying that i had cracked their software(which i hadn't) with an ok button so i pressed the thing and it took me to their site with the heading "You hacked our software, But we will give you a second chance" (with my ip address under it) and the rest of the page was telling me I HAD TO PURCHASE IT or they would put me in. Not bad for a trial software package hey. After that i emailed them with some wicked hate mail uninstalled it and joined the bandwagon of EE haters.

Oh in the time i had it installed i ran it about 3 times and each time it did squat!! i purposely selected files for it to erase then manually checked to see if it did them. Some files had been erased but were easily recovered with unerase, the rest of the files were not touched.

Chat Quotes
Old 30-11-2003   #13
CDFreaks Resident

Someone said destroying the platters.

If you need to destroy the platters, get a big drill press and put holes through it.

Other than use something like NU, one of the versions that have the wipe.

Your computer is watching you. I found this site last year so time and was appalled that I thought I was getting rid of the extra stuff

Microsoft Hidden Files

Look at the orange button at the top 6th over from the left. It says Search. You can use this to help !!!!
cloakdoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2003   #14
CD Freaks Senior Member

Hard Disk Scrub v2.1 is Freeware. I use it for wiping free space. It can also securely delete files, but I don't like that interface.

http://www.summitcn.com/download.html

(towards the bottom of the list)
Pakratus is offline   Reply With Quote