Old 06-09-2004   #1
CD Freaks Member

Windows XP keeps restarting itslef

Hi guys,

I'm currently trying to tackle a tiny little problem. Due to some unknown reason my computer is restarting itself during the XP loading process (the "please wait" part). Though this is not the most interesting part of it: I can't even load in safe mode, because exactly the same thing happens. I hadn't really installed anything before this happened. My machine was simply running Emule, while I was doing some other stuff. I've tried to repair the installation with the XP CD (not the recovery console), but it didn't work, because the setup said it found an unrecognised operating system(???). I had a spare second partition and installed another copy of XP onto it so I could access all the files from my main partition with the old XP, which doesn't work. It should be noted that during the installation of this new "recovery" XP, something was done with my old partition (something associated with allocation). I had a go on google, but didn't found any solutions that would work, although there was a note about a function in XP which forces XP to restart after serious recovery from errors, but how do I disable it (I can't log-on on to my old XP)?
Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

P.S. I don't think this is a hardware or temperature problem, because I was able to succesfully install and use another copy of XP on different partition.
millenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004   #2
CD Freaks Rookie

Re: Windows XP keeps restarting itslef

Virus!!!!! is my first guess. You r P2P with EMULE, you are taking a risk and I would think that you are infected. Reformat time (imho)
or go online and do an online virus scan on the partition that isn't working. I bet it finds something.

a simple google finds lots of info like

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=320299

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

http://www.5starsupport.com/faq/xp.htm#1-13

http://www.5starsupport.com/faq/xp.htm

there where so many pages that deal with on google that there is no way to list all of them

i searched using XP restart boot in the search bar
Yardwaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004   #3
CD Freaks Member

Thanks for your reply,

Actually, I don't think this is a virus based issue, because I would have had to activate a file of some sort for a virus to get working and I didn't do that. Besides, I'm using Norton Antivirus 2004 with all the latest updates and usually it takes care of all kinds of malicious creations. There is something wrong though, but I don't think it's a virus.
Old 06-09-2004   #4
CD Freaks Rookie

Nope-some can be activated without you doing a thing. Even if you have an AV program running in the background you still need to do regular full system scans.
As For Norton--I use it too but I tried a free one( AVG, I believe) and it found one that Norton didn't detect after I did a complete scan. So now I use both! Just like I use two spyware detection programs. They both miss some, but what misses, the other one gets.
Yardwaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004   #5
CD Freaks Member

Well, I'm pretty sure it's not a virus.

Finally, I was able to disable windows function which restarts the computer after system failures... it didn't help...

Has anyone ever experienced this nonsense?
Old 06-09-2004   #6
Top Referrer

hmmm... a few weeks ago my computer would shut down at random points, ver fast, like not showing any windows, just like somebody had pulled the plug. anyway i think it was some drivers or something, so i did a windows reinstall and works fine now
Old 07-09-2004   #7
New on Forum

I have seen several machines do exactly what you are describing (even the unknown partition) after being upgraded to SP2. I mainly mention this because I believe the option on the startup menu to disable automatic reboots on failure is new in SP2. It didn't get installed via automatic updates perhaps? In the end, it ended up with a fresh install of XP.
Wylfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004   #8
MyCE Resident

The registry entry to change in order to make it not reboot automatically (good luck getting to the registry on that partition with regedit

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/229/

what emule release were you using when this happened?

also - the event log should be written to during a crash. have you attempted to view it? http://support.microsoft.com/default...308427&sd=tech

last 5 cd's
Avril Lavigne - Whatever the new one is called
Lucky Boys Confusion - Throwing the Game
lostprophets - Start Something
Story of the Year - Page Avenue
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Don't let schooling interfere with your education.
-Mark Twain
ckin2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004   #9
CD Freaks Member

Thanks for your replies.

I had managed to disable the autorestart function in the registry, but it didn't help. Now this event logger seems to be a pretty useful tool, but there's one problem: due to some unknown reason it doesn't update itself. I found a few nasty errors concerning damaged registry, checksum mismatch and even logfile being damaged. There's a way to coupe with damaged registry and I think I have succeeded in doing that, but there are other problems which need to be removed, but I have no idea how to do it and help and support center has no idea of what is this:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ESENT
Event Category: Logging/Recovery
Event ID: 477
Date: 12/09/2004
Time: 12:59:31
User: N/A
Computer: MACHINENAME
Description:
services (252) The log range read from the file "C:\WINDOWS\Security\edb.log" at offset 783872 (0x00000000000bf600) for 512 (0x00000200) bytes failed verification due to a range checksum mismatch. The read operation will fail with error -501 (0xfffffe0b). If this condition persists then please restore the logfile from a previous backup.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The registry error which I think I have managed to repare looks like this:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: LoadPerf
Event Category: None
Event ID: 3001
Date: 12/09/2004
Time: 20:03:42
User: N/A
Computer: AD-L1CXDO4QKGP6
Description:
The performance counter name string value in the registry is incorrectly formatted. The bogus string is 1848, the bogus index value is the first DWORD in Data section while the last valid index values are the second and third DWORD in Data section.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 38 07 00 00 36 07 00 00 8...6...
0008: 37 07 00 00 97 02 00 00 7...—...

There are a few more errors which look more or less similar to the first one. Have you got any ideas of what to do?

P.S. I haven't installed any of the service packs and the Emule version 0.43a.
Old 07-09-2004   #10
CD Freaks Member

Update:

After writting a few files on to my messed up partition, it stopped responding. Now I can't even access it... This might be a HDD failure. I'll have to chech it out.
Old 07-09-2004   #11
CD Freaks Member

Well, I decided to format and do a clean install. Everything was fine: no restart problem. After a few hours I received a message telling me that a file was missing ( a dll file). The partition got corrupted and became unrecognised. I foramted once again... a corruption appeared shortly after the installation process. It seems as though this is a hardware problem of some sort. I checked my HDD fo bad sectors and didn't find any. The temperatures seem to be ok (including HDD). How to find which of the computer parts causes corruption?
Old 07-09-2004   #12
New on Forum

A few weeks back I attempted to finally update my windows xp after 3 years (!) and dl'd SP1. After a successful dl, I allowed widows to restart. my machine wound up getting caught in an endless loop of startup and shutdowns. Could not boot in safe mode, last known good config, etc. nothing nada zilch. wound up having to install a new HD, formatted that with the Sony recovery discs (Sony VAIO does not come with separate software, only the complete restore discs), got XP up and running and then did a scan on the old HD. It was working but had 2 viruses, neither lethal from what I can tell tho. So coulda been SP1 screwing with some of the startup functions, coulda been the viruses. I researched this for a week or so and talked to a bunch of IT folks (i'm a novice, well a semi-novice after this go round). No one had a definitive answer. but the M$ boards had several identical stories, all with full restore/recovery being the only solution. . . no repair did the trick. . .

Good luck, not sure this was much help, but i certainly feel your pain!!
Dave
hobbes4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004   #13
CD Freaks Member

I appreciate your compassion.

The worst part is I'm still experiencing corruption problems after a full format of the whole HDD and a fresh XP installation. This seems to be a hardware issue. How to catch it?

I'm now typing and not sure that I will not experience another corruption issue after a few minutes...
Old 12-09-2004   #14
MyCE Senior Member

When you formated, did you fdisk the partition? If your partition is corrupted, no amount of formating will sort the problem. You need to delete the partition and create a new one.
Garybrown02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2004   #15
MyCE Junior Member

I would suggest deleting the partition then do a full format, not quick format. Might be a good idea to create a 5GB partition at this point so you can install a second O/S later on if your primary partition screws up. You can boot to your other partition and get the data you need, even modify the registry etc of your primary partition.
If you still experience problems it might be worthwhile buying a new hard drive.
micksevern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2004   #16
MyCE Member

Back sometime ago I had the same problem and it was a virus, I reformated the drive and re-installed XP and it did it again it must have been in the boot sector or something. I ended up removing all partions and making new ones then formating them, and then removing them and putting it back to what I wanted to be sure the virus was gone, after doing that and installing again it worked fine. This was my problem, I remember it ran a bit and I had Norton AV installed and it detected it when it apeared and it said it was going to remove it and I thought it did until I rebooted the system and then it went into a loop all over again. I looked up the virus it said it found and it said all it does is reboot your machine. This may or may not be your problem but there is a virus that does just what you are saying your machine is doing.
rwarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2004   #17
MyCE Resident

Dont rely on Norton get a proper AV program

BenQ 1655 BCIB
BenQ 1640 BSRB
Philips SPD2400 @ LiteOn SHW-1635S YS0Z FBD
Philips 1640P @ BenQ 1620 B7W9 x3 DEAD
Pioneer DVR-109 8.57
Pioneer DVR-108 @ Piodata DVR-108DX 1.18
LiteOn LDW-851S @ SOHW-832S CG5J
Aopen 1648/AAP Pro 1.04
LiteOn SOHR-5238S 4S09
LiteOn LTR-52246S 6S0F

Click here to join cdfreaks.com
Mr. Brownstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008   #18
New on Forum

Hi all,

I have a similar problem. I've got a win XP home and a Win XP pro both on my Dell laptop. It had a virus (the recycler one wich creates an autoplay.ini file in disk drives).

I tried to remove the virus by using an antivirus (symantec), removing the recycler and autoplay files and also removing them from the registery of my windows (the home one). In the registery, I removed the key and values of the commands of hard drives which referred the autoplay.ini file in the recycler folder of that drive.

The problem is that: after I restarted my laptop, It just showed me the list of two windowses but when I choose one and press enter, the laptop restarts again!!

I tried to start both windowses in the safe mode, or load the last config of them that worked properly by pressing the f8 button, but it restarted again!

I also tried to use the win XP CD to recover it (recovery console, using chkdsk, fixboot, fixmbr, copying system file from the repair folder to system32/config) but I could'nt. Also I formatted one of the drives and installed a new version of XP on it (the professional one) but it didn't help also.

Now, grateful to you for your patience in reading this long post, I wanted to ask if there is any way I can fix this problem.

Thank you very much in advance,
--Sherry
chagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009   #19
MyCE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenium View Post
Well, I'm pretty sure it's not a virus.

Finally, I was able to disable windows function which restarts the computer after system failures... it didn't help...

Has anyone ever experienced this nonsense?
I did have a problem a few times with what your going through. If I remember 2 times it was a hot fix from microstiff.com. I just got a few computers this week 1 with a problem close to yours, the other 3 are virus related. My latest is a gateway[2 years old] the owner loaded 3 anti virus programs on a trial which are fighting each other and causing this computer to slow down to the point where it can hardly load. I burned avast to disc, loaded it during boot up and the virus was starting to get into the memory. I was able to find about 10 problems. I am able to get into windows but 1 of the 2 - 256mb sticks of ram is shot. I ordered 2 - 1GB sticks to speed this thing up to fix it. If you can use another computer try the avast thing. It worked for me. Good Luck
valdan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009   #20
MyCE Member

I could not find a thread. I was messing around with a xp disc, found a key code for the disc while I was checking files/ folders. Wonder if it's for a complete formatted hd cause it would not work on a hd I formatted using windows?????? googled it and it should be a legit key since its in the disc. Any takers?
valdan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenium View Post
Well, I decided to format and do a clean install. Everything was fine: no restart problem. After a few hours I received a message telling me that a file was missing ( a dll file). The partition got corrupted and became unrecognised. I foramted once again... a corruption appeared shortly after the installation process. It seems as though this is a hardware problem of some sort. I checked my HDD fo bad sectors and didn't find any. The temperatures seem to be ok (including HDD). How to find which of the computer parts causes corruption?
You may want to try removing peripherals to determine IF it is indeed a hardware issue. Another option is to run a repair and use /fixboot as well as /fixmbr. The CD you are using to reinstall windows; is it in good shape? Are there any scratches or smudges?
YourAllWrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009   #22
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourAllWrong View Post
You may want to try removing peripherals to determine IF it is indeed a hardware issue. Another option is to run a repair and use /fixboot as well as /fixmbr. The CD you are using to reinstall windows; is it in good shape? Are there any scratches or smudges?
If anyone hasn't noticed the thread started in 2004.. The OP isn't responding anymore and to the last poster in 08 starting a new thread revelant to your problem would eliminate confusion and problem.
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote