Old 03-06-2011   #1
MyCE Senior Member

Windows 8: A multi-functional OS wonder, or monstrosity?

Windows 8: A multi-functional OS wonder, or monstrosity?.

The most talked-about aspect of Windows 8 is the fact that it has been designed in one package to run on multiple types of hardware, including desktops, notebooks, and tablet PCs. Is this great innovation on the part of Microsofts development team, or will it turn out to be a bloated mistake? Though its still very early, critics are already divided.

Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/windows-8-a...trosity-46095/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.
wconeybeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #2
CD Freaks Expert

I have a home PC, a desktop PC and a work issued laptop for when I travel. I don't need a small handheld device for my daily professional life. With that said, Windows 8 might be great as long as people like me can turn of the horrible interface shown above and use the software in a way that we are used to using it.

I use both XP and Windows 7. When I get in front of a new system I first try to get it set up to as close to 'Classic' mode as possible. I delete all the bloat software that I don't need/want, I turn off or delete any 'widget' that is preinstalled and I tell Explorer not to hide any files (or extensions) from me. My work requires me to have full control and access to everything on the hard drive. Windows 7 was quite a pain to configure.

I don't want my web browser going to any home page on start up. I'll decide where I want to go and when. I don't want 'cookies' on by default. If I want 'Messenger' or 'Live' or whatever, I'll go download it. I don't want Media Player trying to get on the net to find information about a song I am listening to at the moment.

Most of the PCs we sale will never even have access to the internet. So I have to go through and turn off all the bloat that wants internet access before we can ship the systems.

It would be best if during the Windows install if you could select between 'home PC' or 'work PC' and then install only the appropriate features.
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #3
MyCE Member

I couldn't agree more RichMan...
AIRBUD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #4
Legal Senior Admin

Re: Windows 8: A multi-functional OS wonder, or monstrosity?

Whilst I agree whole heartedly with RichMan, unfortunately many people want a no-brainer OS that they can just switch on and it, more or less, works.

The trouble with that though is that Microsoft tends to assume that everyone just wants the standard configuration and makes it very difficult for people who don't to find and set up alternative configurations that suit them.

By way of example, I had to do a google search AND edit my registry just to enable the command bar in IE9. Grr!!!
Old 03-06-2011   #5

I love old Windows XP I will not spend my money on software is a memory hog and has police ware in it.
GoldSoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #6
CD Freaks Expert

An example about cookies 'ON' by default...

When I first found cdfreaks.com (now myce.com), I kept getting asked if the site could save a cookie on my PC, I kept saying no. I eventually selected 'Remember my answer' (or what ever it is). Once I decided to join this site I knew I had to have cookies enabled for it to work properly. I removed this site from my 'always block' list and answered 'Yes' and 'Remember my answer' the next time I was asked if the site could save a cookie.

This is pretty much how I treat every site. I have cookies set to 'prompt' and I almost always answer no. It's a pain in the arse but I don't feel cookies are needed. I don't want 'targeted advertising'. Why can't websites get this thorough their thick skulls? I guess there are a lot of 'click happy' people out there.

I realize that ads help pay for websites such as this one. But, there is no need to place a cookie on my PC in order to place an ad on the site. Just place good ads and some suckers will actually click on them, I'm just not one of them.

Also, my current 'hosts' file has over 9,000 lines. Because of this I see very few ads when I browse the web. Just the way I want it. The hosts file is located at 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc'. Google 'hosts file' if your are interested.
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #7
MyCE Junior Member

Richman,

I think the cookie setting you are really wanting to block is third party cookies. These are the ones used by advertisers to track from site to site. Also, Firefox with AdBlock Plus work pretty well blocking almost ALL ads. I also run CCleaner to remove temp files, cookies, etc.

One more thing, if you really need to configure your Windows installs for distribution, you should look at the Windows Automatic Intallation Kit or RT Se7en Lite. You can automatically change the settings to the way you want during Windows install.
redk9258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #8
MyCE Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMan View Post
I have a home PC, a desktop PC and a work issued laptop for when I travel. I don't need a small handheld device for my daily professional life. With that said, Windows 8 might be great as long as people like me can turn of the horrible interface shown above and use the software in a way that we are used to using it.

I use both XP and Windows 7. When I get in front of a new system I first try to get it set up to as close to 'Classic' mode as possible. I delete all the bloat software that I don't need/want, I turn off or delete any 'widget' that is preinstalled and I tell Explorer not to hide any files (or extensions) from me. My work requires me to have full control and access to everything on the hard drive. Windows 7 was quite a pain to configure.
I hear you loud and clear. I consider Win 7 the reincarnation of DOS 4.0 and Windows 286. Some of us are old enough to remember when Bill Gates uttered those imortal words "Nobody needs more than 640k".
Win 8 looks to be an equal fiasco to DOS 4.
For those of you who actually use your computers as a tool, consider one of the implementations of Linux. It works reliably, doesn't need 8 gigs of Ram, 60 gigs of disk space and a 3ghz 6 core cpu. Best of all, you can configure it YOUR way.
You also don't get 2 security updates daily to fix the coding screw ups.
olddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #9
MyCE Resident

To comment forgive my if I interleave my reply in a contrasting color..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMan View Post

My God it looks like Windows Media Center, I HATE Media Center

All I really had to do with Windows7 was to turn off UAC and set control panel to display as icons, other than that I can switch back and forth from XP to win7 easily

I don't want my web browser going to any home page on start up. I'll decide where I want to go and when. I don't want 'cookies' on by default. If I want 'Messenger' or 'Live' or whatever, I'll go download it. I don't want Media Player trying to get on the net to find information about a song I am listening to at the moment.

I run IE9 and have seperate quick launch tabs to launch the browser in the FOUR websites that I typically start a browsing/web session with

Most of the PCs we sale will never even have access to the internet. So I have to go through and turn off all the bloat that wants internet access before we can ship the systems.

Even on XP turning off the whining about web security software that the system doesn't need if it's never going to be "on-line" is a tedious PITA

It would be best if during the Windows install if you could select between 'home PC' or 'work PC' and then install only the appropriate features.
Yes, that would be "nice" (and would save an awful lot of my time)

AD
AllanDeGroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #10
MyCE Resident

I find it amazing that not one word of Google and Android's O/S & tablet hardware makers. Apple and Google have proved themselves worthy o/s makers.. Microsoft will have to play catch-up (again? see a pattern, following the trend and not leading the trend.. this is Bill Gates' fault for appointing a non-tech CEO who isn't a visionary). M/S is so afraid of making mistakes that they tread really light on new developments & innovation, even when success (such as the x-box) come knocking on their door and handed to them on a golden platter.
tmc8080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011   #11
MyCE Junior Member

Before you all overreact.... you can disable the user interface that Microsoft has been showing off.
Im a PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011   #12
MyCE Resident

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.
Old 08-06-2011   #13
MyCE Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Belvedere View Post
Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.
I'd replace that guy in there with a Mac user. It would be more truthful.
Im a PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011   #14

Guys,
¡¡¡ WINDOWS IS DEAD !!!

Time to migrate to Linux same as ANDROID.
I use a smartphone with Android OS (as linux but grafical) as PC computer.

New windows versions is very heavy for power of computer, for a caracteristics that i don´t like, no use, i don't need this things.

You need update your machine month to month, pay more money for new computer, install configure, yeah! it's OK, ¡OH NOOO! this windows 18563 is old, need other machine, other windows, no money for 3 updates in 2 years

CONCLUSION AND FUTURE:
Windows 7 have painful use, but usable with months of configure.
At time that Miscrosoft end update suport, and say to all marks of software and hardware that block Windows 7 or lower......

WINDOWS 8 IS DEAD!
NOT USABLE!
END OF WINDOWS!
IS FOR NERDS!

Necesary migrate to grafic LINUX packs. This have a windows complete emulator mode inside this linux compilations, can use windows desktop in a windows of Linux.
Toni69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011   #15
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni69 View Post
Guys,
¡¡¡ WINDOWS IS DEAD !!!

Time to migrate to Linux same as ANDROID.
I use a smartphone with Android OS (as linux but grafical) as PC computer.

New windows versions is very heavy for power of computer, for a caracteristics that i don´t like, no use, i don't need this things.

You need update your machine month to month, pay more money for new computer, install configure, yeah! it's OK, ¡OH NOOO! this windows 18563 is old, need other machine, other windows, no money for 3 updates in 2 years

CONCLUSION AND FUTURE:
Windows 7 have painful use, but usable with months of configure.
At time that Miscrosoft end update suport, and say to all marks of software and hardware that block Windows 7 or lower......

WINDOWS 8 IS DEAD!
NOT USABLE!
END OF WINDOWS!
IS FOR NERDS!

Necesary migrate to grafic LINUX packs. This have a windows complete emulator mode inside this linux compilations, can use windows desktop in a windows of Linux.
And your using it right now to type and browse and write to Myce...How ironic don't you think??? Yeah, keep dreaming....androids got a long long way to go before it is accepted as a mainstream O/S. Now if android knocks off Apple O/S now that will be a game changer but until then android will be sidelined and bench warming only. It sounds more like rant then any substantial information to be of any useful intellectual debate.
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011   #16

Will Windows 8 be shipping with a Touch Sensitive Screen?

Looks like it is going to be a requirement.

I am going to predict right now that Windows 9 will look more like Win8/Vista than like Windows 8.
VistaViewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011   #17
MyCE Resident

I like win7 I liked XP and either is pretty configurable to do what you want and skip most of the junk. 7 seems fairly bullet proof and installs pretty quickly if it's a fresh install on a bare drive, a lot slower if your upgrading or repairing.
Not sure what to think of win8, I have a cheap tablet now but doubt it could run it and I wont use the weird touch screen style layout on my main PC so we'll see how it shakes out when the first users give it a try.
Dartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011   #18
Administrator, Software Editor and Head of Promotions

I am going Apple. ( not for now though) LOL.
My Computer specs are HERE Take a look New rig
Want to Know Your IP Address HERE

TELL A LIE ONCE AND ALL YOUR TRUTHS BECOME QUESTIONABLE
alan1476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011   #19
MyCE Resident

First reaction on looking at Win8 demos...

Good grief, they've put Windows Mobile on a desktop!
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote