Old 25-08-2007   #1
New on Forum
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 13
What's the best replacement for Nero 7?

After using Nero 7 hapilly for years, the unfixable bugs in later releases are starting to put me off this package. A 'shimmering' effect around moving objects, which appears during transcoding, is ruining films, and the latest software & advice from Nero haven't helped.

I convert and edit mpeg2 files in videoredo, and only really use Nero to create chapters and then burn them to DVD with a basic menu. Sometimes I use Nero Recode to compress 9Gb DVDs onto a 4.7Gb disk, though I dislike the fact it sometimes says it's still too big and needs footage removed.

So these are the two basic functions I need. Don't care whether freeware or purchased, but hassle-free, bug-free and automatic are what I mostly need.

Any suggestions?
Roy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2007   #2
MyCE Resident
 
CDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,294
Re: What's the best replacement for Nero 7?

Nero video tools have never been the best option. I use Nero ROM but have never installed the video suite. Nero re-encodes all video whether it needs it or not, which is bad.

If you're only in need of an authoring tool, TMPGEnc-Author is pretty hard to beat. For editing and encoding, TMPGEnc-4.0 Express is equally good.

For shrinking, there's no need to look farther than DVDShrink.
CDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2007   #3
MyCE Resident
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 8,116
Re: What's the best replacement for Nero 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy22
After using Nero 7 hapilly for years, the unfixable bugs in later releases are starting to put me off this package. A 'shimmering' effect around moving objects, which appears during transcoding, is ruining films, and the latest software & advice from Nero haven't helped.

I convert and edit mpeg2 files in videoredo, and only really use Nero to create chapters and then burn them to DVD with a basic menu. Sometimes I use Nero Recode to compress 9Gb DVDs onto a 4.7Gb disk, though I dislike the fact it sometimes says it's still too big and needs footage removed.

So these are the two basic functions I need. Don't care whether freeware or purchased, but hassle-free, bug-free and automatic are what I mostly need.

Any suggestions?
If I was you and if you can still find it get Nero 6 ultra edition. I have that version and have the latest updated to 6.6.1.15wc...granted I don't use all the functions it has worked well for me in burning data and dvd and making image and burning image file to dvd media. As well as using it to play movie dvd and listen to music cd.
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2007   #4
New on Forum
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 13
Re: What's the best replacement for Nero 7?

Thanks for the info. Which of the TMPEnc variants would be the best/most comprehensive to go for?

With DVDShrink, I notice that there's registration required to download, and then some kind of activation step. Does this lead to any spamming, and does DVDShrink cost at any stage?
Roy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2007   #5
MyCE Resident
 
CDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,294
Re: What's the best replacement for Nero 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy22
Thanks for the info. Which of the TMPEnc variants would be the best/most comprehensive to go for?

With DVDShrink, I notice that there's registration required to download, and then some kind of activation step. Does this lead to any spamming, and does DVDShrink cost at any stage?
DVDShrink does not require any registration, or fees, it's freeware. Many sites do try to sell it though.
CDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007   #6
New on Forum
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 6
Re: What's the best replacement for Nero 7?

If your mpeg2 files are already DVD compliant, TMPGEnc-Author is all you need. If not, you'll need an encoder, such as TMPGEnc-Express.

CDan is correct. DVD Shrink is absolutely, no exceptions, free. If some site is making you register or worse, pay, search elsewhere. DVD Shrink is a fantastic program. All the more remarkable since the author quit updating it years ago.
Gildor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007   #7
MyCE Resident
 
Blodulv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Stop Snitching
Posts: 700
Re: What's the best replacement for Nero 7?

burrrn for all your audio cd burning
imgburn for all images (iso's, cue/bins etc.), data cd/dvds, dvdvideo etc.
these 2 are all i use for burning
__________________
Strength and Honor
Blodulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007   #8
MyCE Resident
 
TimC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 7,496
Re: What's the best replacement for Nero 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blodulv
burrrn for all your audio cd burning
imgburn for all images (iso's, cue/bins etc.), data cd/dvds, dvdvideo etc.
these 2 are all i use for burning
Absolutely spot-on.

I use others as well but for free stuff they're hard , if not impossible , to beat.
TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007   #9
MyCE Resident
 
LOCOENG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,007
Re: What's the best replacement for Nero 7?

I'll add DVD Flick (free) to the list.
LOCOENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #10
MyCE Resident
 
deanimator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Between a rock and a ...bar (usually nearer the bar than the rock)
Posts: 6,850
Re: What's the best replacement for Nero 7?

Nero 8

(it´s my guess that Ahead finally figure out that their software is actually just crap, and they rewrite everything from the ground up, and we get a decent product, and pigs will fly, and we are all happy)
__________________
A Lenovo T410 laptop with i5 & 8GB RAM for the road - a cool old workhorse and well worth the money second-hand with a warranty. Numerous external HDDs by Trekstor, Transcend, Toshiba & WD (total about 16TB). ...and a PC with i7-2600k, 16Gb RAM, Crucial M4 128GB SSD & 2 x 2TB HDDs, W10, and two Dell Ultrasharp U2410 monitors. Canon iP4600 & iX4000 printers, Canon 4200F scanner, Samsung Galaxy S6 (32GB) phone. GoPro Hero camera. Sony RX100 MkIII (ultimate compact camera!), and Canon 5D MkII camera (fav lens is the 17 - 40mm...don´t waste your money on the 16 - 35 which is as good but double the price), Samyang 14mm, Sigma 120 - 400. Assorted mountain and road racing bikes (one is as pink as this font!) , and a slightly scuffed, black, lowered BMW 316i coupé to impress chicks with... Oh, and bars, locks, electrified door handles, alarms, video surveillance...& sometimes a hungry dog hangs out there too. What else?: Feel free to join my fan club on Facebook as "Dean Nixon Photographer" and on Instagram as "instamann" (just add beer...!).Click here to get to Mordor! Get AnyDVD CloneDVD2 CloneCD here, and don´t forget to read The Rules.
deanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #11
CDFreaks Resident
 
coathi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: København
Posts: 1,514
Re: What's the best replacement for Nero 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanimator
it´s my guess that Ahead finally figure out that their software is actually just crap, and they rewrite everything from the ground up, and we get a decent product, and pigs will fly, and we are all happy
Hahaha If by now they haven't figured out there product is just crap, they never will and version 8 , 9 , 10 11, 12 will be the same rubbish. But then again they just proved why make a excellent product like K3b and give it away for free, when you can sell crap for a lot of money. Yep pigs will fly seen one the other day and we are all happy
coathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's the best replacement for Nero 7? Roy22 Burning Software 0 25-08-2007 14:30
Nero Replacement: suggestions Tuk Video Edit Software 14 09-02-2007 16:44
Remote replacement Bodrey Consumer electronics 1 11-05-2006 18:32
Replacement Burner SilentAssassin Consumer electronics 21 29-03-2006 16:11
Sharereactor.com replacement kschauwe Downloading & File Sharing 8 11-05-2004 21:33


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:27.
Top