Old 18-04-2002   #1
New on Forum

What is Overburn? does it actually work?

Just few days ago, i borrowed some svcds from a friend.

I noticed that the file size is over 800mb-----804mb to be exact.

so i used clonecd to copy it, then the screen window comes up and ask me if i want to:

:burn till end of cd media

or

:try using overburn.

I wasnt quite sure how overburn works, so i didnt use it.

So, have anyone tried using overburn with success, meaning that the copy of the svcd (or data) comes out complete?

4mb svcd file is only few secs movie so decided not to use overburn........just to be safe.
kenchi1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2002   #2
New on Forum

opps, 80min cdrs only have about 700mb.
kenchi1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2002   #3
MyCE Senior Member

the IMAGE is always larger than what u burn on the cd.

Dont worry about it, if the image is 800 megs, what u burn might be around 700 megs. Best policy is to try and ask fewer questions

Answers magically appear when u try it
max_clif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2002   #4
New on Forum

all you can do using overburn is waste the end of the data, the data that is written on the very outer edge. there is no hardware damage possible for as far as i know, but ofcourse try this on yer own risk .

when using selfmade compiled audio discs, and you overburn 6 min's on an 80 min CD, you can hear the audio stopping suddenly, even when the player says the last song is eg 4'36" and it stops at 3'56".
king nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2002   #5
MyCE Resident

VCD's (ISO 9660 Mode 2 Form 2) use a sector size of 2,324 bytes, with no error correction code.

Because of this added information in each sector, a 74 minute VCD can hold about 738 MB. An 80 minute VCD can hold almost 798 MB.

Since your friend's VCD is 804 MB, I would enable the overburn. This is only about 6 MB over the nominal capacity of a 80 minute disc recorded as a VCD. Most 80 minute blanks should handle this minimal overburn with no problem.
Inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2002   #6
CD Freaks Member

it hasn't been said so......

hello

if your burner supports overburning, you should always enable it ; ie with in NERO etc.

it will not destroy your burner or the cd, regardless of whether or not your burner supports overburning.

get ur moneys worth......overburn

you can make a 650Mb cd hold 700Mb if you overburn...you'd be silly not to now wouldn't you. but it doesn't end there.....there are 700Mb cd's to be overburned too ohh and 99min cd's

hopefully this helps to inform
sherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2002   #7
CDFreaks Resident

can any1 tellme where to buy 99 min cds?
Auron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2002   #8
Resigned

What burner do you have ?
Huzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2002   #9
CDFreaks Resident

plextor 16x10x40x eide
Old 24-04-2002   #10
Resigned

i dont know the pexes too well.....but im almost certain that it will overburn....they are one of the finnest produced drives alive.

Only one way to find out.
Huzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2002   #11
CD Freaks Member

plex do support overburning
sherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2002   #12
Senior Moderator

Plextor writers can overburn to about 94 minutes. They cannot fully overburn to 99 minutes like the TEAC CD-W540E and the Lite-On writers can. You can test with Nero CD Speed to see how far your writer can go.
Old 24-04-2002   #13
CDFreaks Resident

but will something bad happen if i try to write 98 min data with my plex 161040? you know, nero says "you could damage your burner"
Old 25-04-2002   #14
MyCE Resident

I wouldn't worry about damaging the burner. That is just standard "cover your ass" language in case you do something stupid or try to blame Nero for some misfortune. Overburning can stress a burner because it is writing in the area reserved for the lead-out. Some burners may not recognize that the disc is finalized due to the nonstandard area that is used for writing. The burner may run for an extra couple of minutes until it times out. It may not time out and keep on blinking until you have to reboot to stop it. The disc may be readable in both cases unless it didn't have enough overburn capacity to begin with.

Overburned CDR's are inherently inferior and lower in quality that a disc recorded within the red book design specifications. 99 minute CDR's are the lowest quality discs being made today, and are likely to fail at a later date if they can be read to begin with. In order to get the maximum capacity, the safety factors in the specifications and manufacturing tolerances are disregarded. These discs are marketed to the unsuspecting who are attracted by the idea of extra capacity. They are in fact buying an inherently low quality product that is likely to become unusable.

As an analogy, think of a high pressure pipe that was designed for a maximum length of 74 meters with reasonable safety. Stretching it to 80 meters by thinning the pipe walls would eliminate the safety factor built in and would be at the outside limit of a higher risk product. Then imagine stretching it to 99 meters. It's an accident waiting for a place to happen. The same is true with 99 minute CDR's, except instead of exploding they just fail. This is not to mention the compatibility issues involved with CD players and CD-ROM drives.

If you just want to play with 99 minute CDR's, that's fine. Just be careful not to put anything on them that you can't afford to lose.
Inertia is offline   Reply With Quote