Old 27-06-2008   #1
New on Forum

What format to save my DVDs to hard drive?

Hello, I am getting ready to deploy and want to take about 40-60of my favorite movies from my personal collection with me. Although I could take back up discs I would rather use my 500g external HD because of space issues.

The question is what format should I save the dvds in and what software to use to play those files from the hard drive?

BTW I dont mind keeping these in a 4.3g file and I do have DvD decrypter installed and ready to rip from my back ups of the DVDs.

AND finally I posted this question in the wrong forum first so if you could delete the other thread I would appreciate it.

Thank you
alittletank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008   #2
Senior Moderator, Editor and Guru

Re: What format to save my DVDs to hard drive?

There are different options based on what you want to do.

If space is an issue (and you have an enough powerful computer to make conversions fast enough), you can convert all tour movies to AVI. An AVi is also a good solution if you watch movies on a computer screen, because an avi on a large TV screen can have an ugly quality.

Another solution is to rip all discs in main movie only format, i.e. saving in the HDD the main movie only. This can easily done with DVD Shrink or CloneDVD for example.

If you are interested in saving also extras then the only solution is to rip the full DVDs on the HDD.

One of the best softwares to play movies from HDD is VLC. It's free and it's available also in portable format (i.e. no installation required)
User guide for ImgBurn in BUILD mode English version - Italian version

Please do not ask questions via PM. Post in the forum instead. Thanks
Per favore, non chiedete consigli o suggerimenti tramite PM. Usate invece il forum (che serve proprio per questo).
KTPHTT
geno888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008   #3
Administrator

If you want to do this quickly, then you should stick with dvd format rather than converting to divx or xvid avi. And Geno's recommendation of keeping just the main movie is a good one to save space and reduce the amount of compression necessary to fit to a 4.3gb target.

Another possible problem is the fact that DVDDecrypter is seriously outdated as a decryption/ripping program. It still works for many movies, but newer protection schemes have come out since development stopped on Decrypter. I suggest using DVDFab HD Decrypter, which is a free program that is still being updated.
http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

Another possibility is to get the free trial of AnyDVD, let it break encryption for you, and use DVDShrink directly on the dvds. Shrink will rip the movie to the hard drive and compress at the same time, and thus save you a step. Shrink suffers from the same problem as DVDDecrypter though...it will not work by itself on many newer protection schemes. AnyDVD will work in the background and do the heavy lifting on decryption while Shrink does the ripping/compression. You can find DVDShrink at www.mrbass.org and the trial of AnyDVD is here: http://www.slysoft.com/en/
Kerry56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008   #4
Senior Moderator

And if you do choose VLC as a player save them as ISO files. One file that holds everything the movie needs instead of a bunch of separate IFO BUP and VOB files. Especially useful if you keep the menus and extras.
olyteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008   #5
MyCE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
And if you do choose VLC as a player save them as ISO files. One file that holds everything the movie needs instead of a bunch of separate IFO BUP and VOB files. Especially useful if you keep the menus and extras.
Another advantage for ISO output allows you to use many programs example ... Nero, Imgburn (free), Roxio to "burn a DVD" ... if your needs change later.
Abit IP35 Pro, e8400 CPU, 4GB DDR2/800, EVGA 8800, (Internal HDD) - Velociraptor 300GB (sys/partitioned) & 750GB/data, (External HDD) 750GB eSata/USB2 and 200GB USB2. XP-Home/sp3 - Firefox - Thunderbird
Dennis L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008   #6
Wii Freak

Quote:
I suggest using DVDFab HD Decrypter, which is a free program that is still being updated.
http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm
Quote:
And Geno's recommendation of keeping just the main movie is a good one
Quote:
save them as ISO files. One file that holds everything the movie needs instead of a bunch of separate IFO BUP and VOB files.
Quote:
One of the best softwares to play movies from HDD is VLC. It's free and it's available also in portable format (i.e. no installation required)
all excellent free software suggestions.
troy512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008   #7
New on Forum

Thanks for all the suggestions. I only have a few weeks before I leave and I dont want to spend it all shrinking or converting all the movies. Ripping is fairly fast so I will just rip them and use the suggested player. If space becomes an issue I would rather buy another external HD than spen time devoted to shrinking all the files again.

so 4.3g iso files played on VLC should work.

thanks again!
alittletank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008   #8
Senior Moderator, Editor and Guru

With DVD Shrink you can rip the main movie only with no shrinking (this is a very quick process, because no compression is required). Removing also unwanted foreign languages when you rip the main movie only you can save a lot of space. For example, some movies have also the DTS and the 5.1 audio in the same language, and if you don't plan to watch the movie on a surrouns speaker system, you can safely remove these audio tracks saving a lot of space on HDD.

Also getting rid of all extra contents you can save space, so maybe in this way is not necessary to buy another disc
User guide for ImgBurn in BUILD mode English version - Italian version

Please do not ask questions via PM. Post in the forum instead. Thanks
Per favore, non chiedete consigli o suggerimenti tramite PM. Usate invece il forum (che serve proprio per questo).
KTPHTT
geno888 is offline   Reply With Quote