Old 07-09-2008   #1
New on Forum

Up-convert video software

Does anybody know of a SOFTWARE(not a hardware device like an upconvert DVD player) program that can sharpen video when converting from one format to the next, or just improve resolution and video clarity if re-sizing , or just improve video quality. I tryed using AVS video converter and then slected Divx HD as the target conversion format--no sucess( picture quality looked the same) and I also tryed a video enhancement program which improved color clarity a little( very little) and I also did a google search on this subject which always suggests some type of hardware device will be needed. I know that somewhere out the there has got to be some type of program that will increase frame rates and interpolate approximations of sharper images using some type of fuzzy logic( of course that is just a wild guess)
Travis Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #2
Senior Moderator

Re: Up-convert video software

AFAIK such a thing doesn't exist. If the quality ain't there to begin with, where do you expect the 'improvement' to come from?
olyteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #3
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
AFAIK such a thing doesn't exist. If the quality ain't there to begin with, where do you expect the 'improvement' to come from?
Did you ever notice that if a picture is a little fuzzy and you select 50% image size in WM player, the image becomes sharper? Well why cant a program figure out how to do the opposite?? Upconvert dvd players to offer some type of video enhancment also.
Old 07-09-2008   #4
New on Forum

The latest H264 compresion formats offer superior video quality with smaller file sizes. There are ways to manipulate(within reason) vieo enhancements. Mabey the studios, who are very strict about HDMI rules and regulations, are purposely keeping this type of software off the market.
Old 08-09-2008   #5
Senior Moderator

It's still 'Garbage in, Garbage out'. And yeah, if you watch video in a small window you won't see as many flaws.
olyteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #6
New on Forum

Yes, but I am talking about good picture in, even better picture out.
Old 08-09-2008   #7
New on Forum

somebody just PM'd this link to me,and I'm gonna check it out latter http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder.html but please submit more sugestions, and we thank you for your support.
Old 09-09-2008   #8
New on Forum

Hey, chew on this for a moment. First off keep in mind that this hypothesis was suggested to me by a represenative of a high end audio/home theater showcase retailer in my area, I did not come up with this on my own.Up until about a year ago it was possible to purchase an upconvert dvd player where the 1080 signal was output on the component out cables. Now all upconvert dvd players output the hi-def signal on HDMI. This is no accident or merely due to the proccess of technology filtering it to this state. All the major studios have gotten together with DVD hardware manufactuars(and hi-def TV manufactuares) to enforce strict HDMI standards. In this day and age where you can add image stabilization to cheap camcorders and download high quality DivX players to $50 cell phones, it is no accident that the software that I am seeking out is so difficult to find. By GoLLy, if you are gonna whatch a hi-def dvd, we (sony, samsung, ect. ect) are not gonna let you make your own, your gonna have to by our $20 a pop blank Blue Ray disks ,whatch them on our $3000 flat screen TV's using our overpriced blue ray players, all of which is in accordance with HDMI standards dictated by the powers that be, not only to keep a uniformity of standard for compatability issues, but to keep a uniformity of fat bank accounts for Studio executives and the like.
Old 09-09-2008   #9
CDFreaks Resident

Travis, chill out for a bit. The basics first...

1) what file format are you trying to upscale? Format,bit-rate and resolution?

2) What monitor resolution are you using?
Pio DVR212 | LG GGW-H20L
Benq 1655 | Pio 111L
Dell 2209WA | Pentax K-x
Bhairav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #10
New on Forum

All I am trying to do is reconvert DivX,Xvid,H264, and AVI movie files to yield a slightly sharper and crisper image before I drag them into ConvertXtoDVD prior to Burning a DVD. After hours of experimentation I have had some sucess with 2 movies using AVS video converter and a program called enhance movie, but results are inconsistant and too time consuming.
Old 09-09-2008   #11
MyCE Resident

Travis I hope you realize that you can still purchase up converting DVD players.
They will do DVD format.
HDMI is mainly for Blue Ray, so if you output Blue Ray on component cable, you will get 720p output.
Than you are correct, it is a Sony and others doing.
If you want to sharpen or "improve" DVD file, there is a TMPGEnc Xpress, which will let you do that.
CDuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #12
New on Forum

P.S. I am not trying to perpetuate a conspiracy theroy, but I do believe that the big guns try to limit our abilities to manipulate digital media so as to maintain high profit margins on thier products.
Old 09-09-2008   #13
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDuncle View Post
Travis I hope you realize that you can still purchase up converting DVD players.
They will do DVD format.
HDMI is mainly for Blue Ray, so if you output Blue Ray on component cable, you will get 720p output.
Than you are correct, it is a Sony and others doing.
If you want to sharpen or "improve" DVD file, there is a TMPGEnc Xpress, which will let you do that.
I look forward to taking a look at this TMPGEnc program that you speak of.
Old 09-09-2008   #14
MyCE Resident

Quote:
P.S. I am not trying to perpetuate a conspiracy theroy, but I do believe that the big guns try to limit our abilities to manipulate digital media so as to maintain high profit margins on thier products.

This is not conspiracy, this is a fact.
You just wait a while. If Blue Ray will looks like it will stay a while, there will be tons of software to do what you want with it.
Like everything else.
CDuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #15
New on Forum

You can take Clone2Go Video Converter for a try. It has both free version and professional version.
dudude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010   #16

It should, but it doesn't mean there are software for that. I hope someone brave enough to write one.

Here's why:

1) When playing video, the up converted video has low contrast, and other quality issues. This can be fixed/enhanced with rules, to make a better video. This is not particularly associated with up converter, but up converter does have this advantage.

2) When playing video, the machine doesn't have enough time/CPU to perform intensive algorithm to do good upconversion. This is simply due to it needs to keep up with play the video smoothly.

3) Theoretically, simple images can be up converted with much better clarity. There are algorithm for that. There are many software such as Fractals, that does that. There can be better algorithm out there. The point is, if a painter can make a picture look better, make your girl friend's chest larger, and erase her pimples, the computer maybe able to do the same to a pictures or a video, given a good algorithm to detect that. This is just a joke, but it does mean given a good algorithm, there is no limit to the computer enhancing some images, or moving images (video).

For example, I was able to take an old image, select various regions, and enhance the saturation of each using photoshop. At the end, the image looks great. I don't see any reason a good computer algorithm can't copy that process.

So, there you have it, it's possible.
vuser is offline   Reply With Quote