Old 17-07-2007   #1
MyCE Senior Member

UNLOCKING the BT Home Hub for use with a NEW ISP [UK ONLY]

This isn't a problem, but a solution ..... wasn't too sure where to add this on the forum

Anyway I've successfully managed to do this and have included all the instructions as a text file included in the download.

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.

DownloadLink:

Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/43308518/How_To_Unlock_BT_Home_Hub_For_A_New_ISP.rar
You can also use the USB port on the hub to share a printer on a network

1. Add your printer normally as if its attached to your machine.
2. Once added, right click on properties then on the ports tab.
3. Click add port, choose Standard TCP/IP Port, click New Port.
4. Enter 192.168.1.253 as the IP address, and anything you like as the name.
5. Click Custom, then Settings.
6. Choose LPR as protocol Queue Name: LPT1 check LPR byte counting as enabled, click ok.
7. Finish the wizard.

AND

You should be able to use an external USB HDD drive as well (Network Drive) as long as it formatted as FAT32 and not NTFS.

Finally if your a BT Broaband Talk Customer - just plug in a phone and you'll be up and running
chrome307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: UNLOCKING the BT Home Hub for use with a NEW ISP [UK ONLY]

Thanks for this I have two of these devils.
Old 17-07-2007   #3
MyCE Senior Member

Your welcome mate!!

Just one tip .... put all the files on your c: drive

not just on your desktop in a folder
chrome307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007   #4
New on Forum

Thanx, chrome307.
I've successfully flashed my BT home hub.
And in the end installation wizard finished everything successfully, without saying anything. I started using Hub immediately (without entering username and password for internet access) and there were no problems until I restarted it.
So after i restarted it, router somehow 'forgot' all settings and i had to enter username and password and open ports again.

That's it - thank you very much. Everything works.
Varrimor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008   #5
New on Forum

Hi, I believe I followed the instructions but got bogged down when the Wizard asked for the password to the HH. I gave it and the Wizard managed to fill in all the missing fields, so it was making it that far, but the next screen warned me this was a Downgrade – I accepted this. What happened next was that it came back (with the progress bar) saying I had to go back and enter the user name and password. I tried resetting the hub and putting the pword to admin so it matches the instructions but the HH does not allow "admin" as a pword. The default after a reset of the HH is the serial number of the HH and you are prompted to change it immediately. I did try ignoring the real password and using admin within the wizard, as in the instructions, but that just meant the wizard didn’t go beyond the login screen. Any advice anyone? (I hope it’s just me doing something odd).
Many thanks,
drew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #6
New on Forum

i got the same error as drew2 did. I got an authontication error while downgrading? Any advice anyone?
wingman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #7
New on Forum

Hey there,

Would you like me to host the rar? I have a private server with unlimited bandwidth if you are interested; You won't have to deal with waiting for rapidshare + it dosen't have metered download speeds.

Thanks
sytner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #8
New on Forum

that would be great. Could you please tell the step by step procedure cause we get the error described above
Old 07-12-2008   #9
New on Forum

File Hosted Here

And also the step by step quide is the ReadMe file in the rar; I used it and it worked for me. Read it Here

Thanks
Old 07-12-2008   #10
New on Forum

thx.I'll give it a try and let u know

update: I keep getting the same error as above. I am using bthome hub 1.5 firmware 6.2.6.H

Last edited by wingman1; 07-12-2008 at 13:00.
Old 07-12-2008   #11
New on Forum

I am afraid I cannot diagnose this problem as I have not encountered it, however have you tried downgrading the bt firmware and then trying it?
Old 13-01-2009   #12
New on Forum

hi sytner can i ask you to send me the files as i have tried to get from you here and on rapidshare but i get the header is broken when i unzip.
i am eager to try unlocking my hub and i will do an update on here on how it goes.......got the hub version 2.0
thanks mate rgds jeepilot
JEEPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009   #13
New on Forum

Try this link: Here

Hope that works.

Use the .ZIP one.

Last edited by sytner; 16-01-2009 at 19:05. Reason: Forgot crucial info
Old 19-02-2009   #14
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytner View Post
Try this link: Here

Hope that works.

Use the .ZIP one.
Hope someone can help!! I have a V1.5 version 6.2.6.H - configuration 2.0.0. I would like to use this as a wireless router on my new ISP. I have followed the instructions above and get as far as "downgrading" however i get the following statement:

The wizard was unable ...blah blah blah...... authentication failed

what can i do now please?
Gomog6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009   #15
New on Forum

I Don't think that this method works with the 1.5, It worked sucessfully with my 1.0 though.

Here you will be able to see why: Here
Old 16-03-2009   #16
New on Forum

Hello there,
I've just managed to unlock the BT Home Hub using the info but for some reason I can't seem to set an administrator password that I can then use to access the hub using explorer. I know the password that I set is correct because I can Telnet in with it but for some reason I can't access the hub using the same password with explorer. I also got the downgrading message as others have received but the hub is now unlocked and works fine.

Many thanks in advance,

Lee.
Lee_Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #17
New on Forum

Hey there I tried to follow the same steps however it didnt work on my BT HH... Evry time it enter ADMIN as username and password, but it doesnt accept that...

Few days back i upgraded it i guess from Bt website and ever since i am facing that problem....

ANy advice plzzzzzzzzzzzzz???

P.S. Also any advice for unlocking SKy Sagem Router and sky Netgear router???
x62104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #18
New on Forum

Hey there I tried to follow the same steps however it didnt work on my BT HH... Evry time it enter ADMIN as username and password, but it doesnt accept that...

Few days back i upgraded it i guess from Bt website and ever since i am facing that problem....

ANy advice plzzzzzzzzzzzzz???

P.S. Also any advice for unlocking SKy Sagem Router and sky Netgear router???
x62104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009   #19
New on Forum

Hi my HH 2.0 (the black one) is a CANT-2 not a BANT-7
I've tried changing the .bli file to BANT-2 and although it then lets me press the Next button, I then get the task bar for a couple of second and then the "Authentication error" message appears.
Has anyone come across the CANT-2 HH before and can it still be flashed?
Seansoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009   #20
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrome307 View Post
This isn't a problem, but a solution ..... wasn't too sure where to add this on the forum

Anyway I've successfully managed to do this and have included all the instructions as a text file included in the download.

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.

DownloadLink:

Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/43308518/How_To_Unlock_BT_Home_Hub_For_A_New_ISP.rar
You can also use the USB port on the hub to share a printer on a network

1. Add your printer normally as if its attached to your machine.
2. Once added, right click on properties then on the ports tab.
3. Click add port, choose Standard TCP/IP Port, click New Port.
4. Enter 192.168.1.253 as the IP address, and anything you like as the name.
5. Click Custom, then Settings.
6. Choose LPR as protocol Queue Name: LPT1 check LPR byte counting as enabled, click ok.
7. Finish the wizard.

AND

You should be able to use an external USB HDD drive as well (Network Drive) as long as it formatted as FAT32 and not NTFS.

Finally if your a BT Broaband Talk Customer - just plug in a phone and you'll be up and running
Hello Chrome307, Does your solution work with with/in Windows ok? (Re How to Unlock BT Home Hub). Regards....
cdfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009   #21
New on Forum

Hey.
I have a black v1.5 HH. I followed all the instructions and like many people, have reached the point where the setup tells me there's an authentication error. I then found on another forum that this problem could be resolved by using the BT Home Hub Firmware Recovery Tool.
I used this tool about 10 times before it actually worked correctly. However, once it had finally completed the downgrade it said "with these non-fatal errors : (something about no authentication)". Firstly, the tutorials don't even mention that this program requires the password, and secondly, I don't understand why this isn't a fatal error. This means that my password is screwed up. The ReadMe says to ignore the error at the end of the speedtouch upgrade, however it doesn't give any details as to what error so I assume it's this one. So I just tried following the next step ( Go to Start > Run ... and type telnet 192.168.1.254 then click "OK". This didn't work at first but then I found out about it and realised I had to activate it in vista). This brings up the black box which tries to connect with telnet.192.168.1.254, however, after a moment the box displays a message and instantly closes (there isn't enough time to even read the message but I imagine it was an error).

So I'm having a load of problems with this and since I would find unlocking my HH EXTREMELY useful, I would appreciate any help.

Thanks guys.
dalewebster1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009   #22

Hi all I have just come across this forum and registered .I too am trying to unlock the hub.
The way to acess the hub when asking for passwords etc is to reset the HH by resetting the hub to default (press and hold button on rear for 20 secs until all leds light up and then release) The user is admin (lower case)and the password is the serial number in upper case (exclude anything in brackets on the end of the serial number).
This has got me in but now I have the downgrade message as my software is V6.2.6E .I would think that if anyone can obtain either a newer version software or find a way to downgrade things will work ok. Any suggestions.?
skipjohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009   #23

Hi there all,

The method explained here will ONLY work in the v1.0 of the BT HomeHub.

The smaller and newer version (v1.5) can also be unlocked but it involves building a JTAG cable, some soldering skills and a bit of patience.

For the required instructions for the HH 1.5, refer to this link at http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t27679.html

At the moment the v2.0 of the HH cannot be unlocked as far as I know.
wakaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010   #24

I had a BT Home Hub BANT-Z with 6.2.6.H firmware. I couldn't get this guide to work, much like the guy above who said the tool errored before it uploaded the firmware.

I downloaded the BT firmware updater from here http://rapidshare.com/files/35480655...overy_626E.zip

I used it to put my device back to 6.2.6E, no idea if thats a required stop but I was only testing at this point. Then I renamed the firmware from the 'How_To_Unlock' rar with the name of the BT firmware in the 626er rar and then placed it in the same folder overwriting the BT firmware.

Then I used the BT tool to flash the firmware and it worked fine.
thisishowididit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010   #25

Howdee folks

The authentication issue at upgrade has a simple resolution. Instead of using the speed touch upgrade wizard supplied in the rar file, try getting hold of the upgrade wizard supplied by bethere. Works perfectly fine
littlebrownhelper is offline   Reply With Quote