Old 25-02-2004   #51
New on Forum

I just finished fixing some of the problems/issues with the first file released.

-Ability to manually edit song title
-Added field for artist's name
-Fixed a few bugs

Please let me know if there's anything I should add or fix!

Current Known Issues:
-Inabilty to have just one song. Not sure why you'd want only one though.
-"Clear All" doesn't clear things anymore. Workaround: Just re-add the files

http://www.askachick.com/datamkr-1.zip

Note: requires VB 6.0 runtime files.
plik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2004   #52
New on Forum

To all, there is an easier way to make the mp2's from wav, mp3, and maybe somemore, haven't tried.
Download BesweetGUI

http://dspguru.doom9.net/

It needs toolame, so you should already have that.
A bit hard to set up but once you're done it works like a breeze

On dtamkr.exe maybe have an option so that file naming will split group from song name by using symbols such as " - ". Just a thought.

Last edited by bukleme; 03-03-2004 at 10:52.
bukleme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004   #53
New on Forum

plik - you're fantastic! It works like an absolute dream...

Simple File Joiner is a very good recommendation, most happy with it.

Couple of comments regarding datamkr:

1. Is it a possibility to have the data.txt placed into the same directory as datamkr-1.exe? And give it the filename data-HHHH-DD-MM-YYYY.txt (or data-HHHH-MM-DD-YYYY.txt if you use American style dating) to avoid accidentally overwriting a previous data.txt?

2. How about having the project go open source and using the resources that Sourceforge.net offers?

peace,

twisted logik
twisted logik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004   #54
New on Forum

Hey all,

Am I the only one who can't follow these directions? I've got the files all together using datamaker and sfj, etc. but when I put the CD in the player at work it says "Reading Playlist...", then stops accessing the drive.

Is it the burning options I've set in nero? Any suggestions for burning the CDs?

Thanks for any help

Kieran
kieranre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004   #55
New on Forum

Try setting datamaker to Random.. not normal.

For some reason "normal" doesn't always work.

I don't have easy access to the player so I can't figure out if it's my program (most likely) or the player.
Old 13-03-2004   #56
New on Forum

need a data.txt

hello fellow partners....
i've been watching this thread and attempting to make a disc to play at work but to no avail. =0(

i'm positive the problem is my data.txt file, it seems as
though its a very specially formated file.

-liquid death

Last edited by LiquidDeath; 15-03-2004 at 19:55.
LiquidDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2004   #57
New on Forum

plik's datamkr

Hi liquid death,

Glad you could come join us in the conversation! Have you not tried plik's datamkr program?

twisted logik
twisted logik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2004   #58
New on Forum

k got it

i was able to get it all working. As mentioned earlier in the thread the song title line must be 47 characters long and the artist line must be 48 characters. I dont believe that datamkr
checks for this.

i did end up getting a hold of a disk; i also noticed a few small things that i didn't see mentioned earlier:
1) the name of the disk itself was "SBUX'
2) the two files are "data.TXT" and "playdisk.AUD"
3) the disk consisted of 1 Session: 1 track iSO 9660 (mode 2)

bellow is a sample of data.TXT that would work with a single song (assuming the length of your file corrisponded w/ the given length...
_____________(begin data.TXT)
[Playlist]
Version=3.1
ID=425705
Title=#60 HMV 10/JOHNNY CASH A.C.
Programs=1
Songs=1
ProgramAdvance=1
SongAdvance=1
Expiration=2004/09/15

[Program1]
ID=22695
Title=HEAR MUSIC VOL. 10 - CD
ProgramPlay=Next
MaxPlayTime=0
SongPlay=Next
Songs=1
Commercials=0

[Song1]
ID=491023.WAV
Title=A Bit Of Wind
Artist=Fruit Bats
Start=1
Length=2564702

------------------------------(end data.TXT)

for those of you who have emailed me saying "i dont get how to make a cd. its easy. just follow the simple directions give by 'twisted logic' and make sure to use 'simple file joiner' as plik has recomended. that'll give you a working playdisk.AUD. then just use the formentioned 'datamkr' program, although you will need to edit the file affterward to make sure the file's title & artists lines are propperly padded. btw i'm currently working on a linux script to convert a folder of .mp3s to propperly formated playdisk.AUD and data.TXT files

fun fun

---liquiddeath
Old 15-03-2004   #59
New on Forum

stupid html. the above post's data.txt isn't quite right. as mentioned about 3 times by now the artist and song lines have very specific (wrong padding can freeze up the player) padding.
just pretend that the song line has a total of 47 characters and the artist 48 characters. btw an excelent program for checking the padding for the lines is the robust text editor 'textpad' form www.textpad.com

okey i think thats aboot ( <- hey look i'm canadian =0) ) it.

liquidDeath
Old 16-03-2004   #60
New on Forum

just a note!
Has anyone noticed that there is one extra space in the Artist section compaired to the original disks

haven't tried with the datamkr file so i don' know if this effects the play.
Old 23-03-2004   #61
New on Forum

datamkr/playlist rules

I can't dl datamkr from the posted url (the .exe no longer appears to be available).

Does anybody else have a copy? If not, is there anybody who could explain to me how the program ID/Song ID numbering system works? The IDs aren't arbitrary are they?

Any help would be really appreciated by my whole store.
beanofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004   #62
New on Forum

Just a Note

hey all,
just want all to know, i checked and found out that playing non-public licensed music in a store is illegal. It is fine if the store is closed, but customers cannot hear it. Sorry, I was totally bummed when i heard this. (This is why the cd's expire)
Old 14-06-2004   #63
New on Forum

Re: Starbucks/playnetwork "playdisc" .aud format

anyone willing to help a computer illiterate make a few disc for some cash would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!! heres what i was thinking...

- i send you my purchased MP3's
- you make playnetwork disc for me for private use after store hours
- i send you a paypal

PLEASE HELP, i am a poor ol individual who risk being diagnosed with a mental illness if i listen to anymore Frank Sinatra.

unregistered user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2004   #64
New on Forum

I stopped working on the datamkr program several months ago. I'm putting up the source for all to use if wanted. It's written in VB 6 and the code is probably pretty messy, but for those who wish to develop it, go for it.

http://www.askachick.com/datamkr.rar
Old 05-09-2004   #65
New on Forum

I wrote a script to encode a normal audio cd to play on the play network players, and one to rip tracks from the play network cds. I am working on one right now to take folders of mp3's and encode them to play on the play network player. They work great, but don't get too excited just yet.

I am a linux programmer and web developer, I am not a windows gui programmer. So these are Bash shell scripts that will only run on Linux. When I finish the mp3 script I will package them all up and put them online for download. I will also do some testing under Cygwin/WinNT and see if it is possible to run them from a windows environment.

Exciting stuff, keep posted.
qishr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004   #66
New on Forum

Greetings to all!

I have been working on getting a CD playing for a couple of days now, no luck. I've followed all the instructions perfectly (I think...)

1. I converted four mp3's into the required format (mpeg v1.0 layer 2, 80kbps, 44100Hz, mono),
2. created the data.TXT file using datamkr (Track Order: normal),
3. gave "proper" padding to track title and artist,
4. joined the mp2's using simple file joiner (same order as in data.txt),
5. checked the resulting file using winamp,
6. burned both file to a CD (ISO 9660, Level 1, Mode 2)

Didn't work... said it was reading the playlist and kept doing it for 5 minutes.

A couple things to note/think about,

I do have access to another SBUX CD and the fields were padded to only 40 characters.

The data.txt file generated contained three returns at eof instead of the two on the CD I have for reference.

Song ID #s generated were 4 digits vs 5 digits on the "Got Nothing but Song/Reggae Vibrations" CD

I have tried to play a SBUX .aud in Windows Media Player (renamed as .mp2) won't play. Trying the same thing in winamp works. The file that I made plays in both no problem suggesting that the file formats are ever so slightly different in some way. Only thing I can spot from the info I have is that their header is found at 2048 and mine at 0...

So what it boils down to is that I'm all like this but I'd like to be like this Any help you guys could give would be great. I do have access to a number of CD's, if the info on any of them would help anybody, let me know...
NateDoggITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2004   #67
New on Forum

here's my two cents. the reason there's a gap between songs is that the start byte for each song is always divisible by 2048. also, i use the dd comand in linux (also available for windows through cygwin) to build playdisc.aud.

i attempted (after closing) to play a burned disc today but it failed. initialized fine, but upon playback there was no sound and the cdrom drive light flickered faster than with official discs. later i realized i had created MP3 files, rather than MP2. so, fwiw, my experience contradicts the earlier claim that MP3 flies are supported.
lunalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2004   #68
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunalot
here's my two cents. the reason there's a gap between songs is that the start byte for each song is always divisible by 2048. also, i use the dd comand in linux (also available for windows through cygwin) to build playdisc.aud.

i attempted (after closing) to play a burned disc today but it failed. initialized fine, but upon playback there was no sound and the cdrom drive light flickered faster than with official discs. later i realized i had created MP3 files, rather than MP2. so, fwiw, my experience contradicts the earlier claim that MP3 flies are supported.
my disc worked flawlessly. played it after we closed. i incorporated the 2048 start byte rule from my last post. also just used ID's from the DATA.TXT of Opening Library Disc B. yippee!
Old 19-09-2004   #69
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunalot
my disc worked flawlessly. played it after we closed. i incorporated the 2048 start byte rule from my last post. also just used ID's from the DATA.TXT of Opening Library Disc B. yippee!
i should clarify that this disc was my second attempt, properly using MP2 files.
Old 21-09-2004   #70
New on Forum

congrats lunalot. could you make it official and post step by step directions and free us all from starbucks's music selections. Thanks
soupafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2004   #71
New on Forum

Hi,
Im a new Starbuck's 'partner.' I am amazed by all of the work you guys have done! WOW. Im not the only person which is afraid of X-mas in October! But i personally cannot make any sense out of what you guys have done. I would very much appreciate it if Lunalot or someone else who has gotten the CD's to work would make a step-by-step tutorial. I just learned the Expediting process today and i cannot think anymore. Please help.
jupiter55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2004   #72
New on Forum

Hi, i´m a Non-US new starbucks partner, and just like you guys, have been lookin´ 4 answers about those discs. At last, i found the answers right here... it just took me 4 days , but now, i´m on the right way.

I´ll try to guide you "step by step" on the way...!!!
Aparently, on my Brand-new store, we use a newer model of PlayNetwork Player, because our discs have 4 files instead just 2, but there r no mayor diferences.

here is an example of the content of one disc:
-----------------------
Data.txt (Almost the same file decribed in this forum)
Playdisc.aud (The same file described in this forum)
Playdisc.cmd (windows NT command secuence)(text editable)
Playdisc.auc (something like an audio ripping LOG file)(this don´t affect the disc anyway)

-----------------------

I chose to not include Palydisc.auc on my compilation, and it works excelent.

so, here it is...

Step 1 - Transform your MP3s, CDs, etc into WAV files with WinLame or something like.
Step 2 - Compress your WAVs into MP2s with TooLame - Mono, 80 kbps, 44.1 Khz-. I used TooLame GUI too.
Step 3 - Use Datamaker to get a fast (almost ready) Data.txt from your MP2s.
Step 4 - (the bad news) You need to manually edit Data.txt to be accurate. First, delete "ONE SPACE" on each "ARTIST" line to fit 40 characters, just like the "TITLE" line. Then, be sure that the first song begins at 2048 (in my disc, it begins at 1, so i had to add 2047 PLUS to fit 2048 at the FIRST song, and so on in EACH "START" tag)(the amount to add on each start tag depends on the diference from the first song START to 2048... example:
--------------
[Song29]
ID=513243.WAV
Title=Blah Blah - Dah Dah
Artist=Sponge Bob
Start=65000 (plus 2047)
Length=2096327

to

[Song29]
ID=513243.WAV
Title=Blah Blah - Dah Dah
Artist=Sponge Bob
Start=67047
Length=2096327

-----------------------------
This consumes a lot of time... Boring
The values between each song Doesen´t affect anyhow, my disc has nothing between each song and works fine.
Next, i added a copy of the same song list again at the end of the file, but with a special tag between:
... from begin to song 32...

[Song33]
ID=5007.WAV
Title=Yada Yada
Artist=Who cares
Start=69519094
Length=1611755

[ProgramAll]
ID=447000
Title=All Programs
ProgramPlay=Next
MaxPlayTime=0
SongPlay=Random
Songs=33

[Song1]
ID=4975.WAV
Title=Walala
Artist=Who cares
Start=2048
Length=1805061

and so on, to song 33 again.
------------------------------
Step 5 - Edit Playdisc.cmd (windows right click - edit) to fit Data.txt. here´s an example of my edited Playdisc.cmd:

--------------

[START]
Version=5.0

ID=447203
CONDITION=ALWAYS

Start Date=2004/09/14
End Date=2009/11/1

[PLAY DISC]
Zone=1
PlayList=447000

[ALTER ZONE]
ID=1

ALLOW SONG ADVANCE=1
ALLOW PROGRAM ADVANCE=1

CONDITION=ALWAYS

[ZONE SET PLAYBACK TYPE]
Zone=1
Format=MP2
Bit Rate=80

---------------------
Step 6 - Use Simple File Joiner (SFJ) to join every MP2 from your compilation into Playdisc.aud

Step 7 - Burn the three files into a CD - ISO 9660, Level 1, Mode 2

Step 8 - Have fun and enjoy with your Partners your Brand-new "CHAI MIX" CD.

Step 9 - DON´T let your DM to hear your MIX if it contains anything else than Sinatra or Norah Jones.
This is what worked 4 me, i hope the same results 4 U guys.

CHIDO...!!!
chido_ese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004   #73
phx
New on Forum

Greetings,

I've been working on this for a while now and getting tips from this forum. I have it working pretty well now. I have an archive with a program I wrote to encode .wav files to .mp2 as well as a program to create the data.txt file. The only problem is that I don't have a way to host the file. Can someone with hosting capabilities email me and I can reply back with it? (unless someone knows a good free file hosting site). My code is all in VB6. It's kinda sloppy, but it spits out a file that works. I use Winamp to write .wav from .mp3 and use TooLame to encode the songs from .wav to .mp2. I included a copy of TooLame in the archive. I've made 3 cd's now and they all seem to work great. Songplay is always random though, and I'm unsure as to why this is. Help on that part would be great. So here it is, I hope it works as well for you all as it has for me.

Step 1. Get all of the songs you want on the disc in to 44.100khz, 16bit, mono format. It's easy in Winamp. Hit Ctrl-p and go to output plugins. Specify output path, click convert to format, and select pcm and 44,100khz, 16bit, mono. Exit out of prefrences and load up all your .wav files in a play list. Play through it once and you have your raw data.

Step 2. Encode all .wav files to .mp2 files. I do this with TooLame using the options "-b 80 e". So it would look like "toolame.exe -b 80 e inputfile.wav outputfile.mp2". I included a front end in the package. Just find the file you want and double click on it. It outputs to the same directory as your source files.

Step 3. Create your data.TXT file. Everyone knows that this is the worst part of the whole thing. I played with this forever, trying all sorts of things I read on this site as well as borrowing a number of cd's to compare files. Included in the archive is code I wrote to create the file. Fill in the boxes for title and artist. Double click to add whichever files you want. If you like use the truncate boxes to cut off the file extensions and the 00xx_ that winamp adds to the file names. It just makes it look pretty in the player at work but it's not necesary as the program will check for appropriate length and cut your title/author if necessary. Specify an output path for the data.txt file and hit make.

Step 4. Build your playdisc.AUD file. Open up a text editor like notepad and hit "." about 2,048 times. Save the file (I'll use c:\bs.bs for the example). Check your file size and make sure that it is 2048 bytes exactly. Windows won't give you an acurate number but fake DOS in windows will. Next, punch in these commands. I'm using XP pro but i'm pretty sure these commands will work in most versions of the fake DOS boxes in windows.

cd (directory your .mp2 files are in)

copy /b c:\bs.bs + "(file one)" + "(file two)" + "(file three)" playdisc.aud

That command would work for 3 files. If you're using long file names or your file names have spaces in them, use quotes around the whole path and file name. Make sure you use the same order that you used in your data.txt file.

Step 5. Burn data.TXT and playdisc.AUD on to a cd. I'm not sure if the file names are case sensative or not but all the cds have the prefix lowercase and the extension capitol.

Step 6. Turn off "Bebe Williams sings the same christmas songs over and over for hours" at closing time and put in Led Zeppelin.

So that's it. Pretty sure I included everything. my email is phx@san.rr.com
If someone could either host the file for me or recommend a good site I'm glad to share it. This should be public information. I'll check the site if anyone has questions.

phx
phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004   #74
phx
New on Forum

http://phx.freehomepage.com/
^
website with link to my package for making cd's. Email me with any questions. Enjoy!

phx

Last edited by phx; 02-12-2004 at 23:01.
phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2005   #75
New on Forum

Hey all...

Know I'm resurrecting a dead thread here...

I work at an establishment other than starbucks, that uses play network. We have a different kind of player though, we stick the disk in, all the music downloads onto the unit's internal drive, and we chuck the disk.

Same basic setup, *.aud file that is in fact an mp3 in disguise. BUT, I have no data.txt file. I can't for the LIFE of me find anything in any file on this CD that mimics ID3 info...but I know it's on there, because the player we have shows artist/song information on it's display as the songs play...

Any thoughts?
ragingfish is offline   Reply With Quote