Old 10-07-2005   #1
MyCE Resident

Shutdown hangs on "Saving Your Settings" ...

Not sure if this was the appropriate place to post this, but I did a search for the topic and came up blank.

Essentially, when I shutdown my computer, my computer invariably hangs (to a varying degree of time - from 20 seconds to a few minutes!!) at "Saving Your Settings"!

I do have Norton Antivirus installed and am starting to think this may be the culprit. Looked through some of the Norton Antivirus related posts in here but couldnt' find anything pertaining to this problem.

Some people suggested giving NOD32 a try, so I plan on trying that. Norton is bloated to a degree, and I disable all services and manually enable them when I want to scan. Yet, the system still hangs on shutdown - even without Norton services running in the background. Very weird.

Hopefully someone can chime in with suggestions. Planning to uninstall Norton soon and will see if that takes care of the problem.

Thanks in advance.
ninbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005   #2
Administrator, Software Editor and Head of Promotions

Re: Shutdown hangs on "Saving Your Settings" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninbang
Not sure if this was the appropriate place to post this, but I did a search for the topic and came up blank.

Essentially, when I shutdown my computer, my computer invariably hangs (to a varying degree of time - from 20 seconds to a few minutes!!) at "Saving Your Settings"!

I do have Norton Antivirus installed and am starting to think this may be the culprit. Looked through some of the Norton Antivirus related posts in here but couldnt' find anything pertaining to this problem.

Some people suggested giving NOD32 a try, so I plan on trying that. Norton is bloated to a degree, and I disable all services and manually enable them when I want to scan. Yet, the system still hangs on shutdown - even without Norton services running in the background. Very weird.

Hopefully someone can chime in with suggestions. Planning to uninstall Norton soon and will see if that takes care of the problem.

Thanks in advance.
Always make sure you don't shut down your computer with a disc in the drive. That probably is not the reason but there is something that is still running that has to be manually shut down. Most times you will have to do a manual shutdown if it doesn't shutdown on its own.
My Computer specs are HERE Take a look New rig
Want to Know Your IP Address HERE

TELL A LIE ONCE AND ALL YOUR TRUTHS BECOME QUESTIONABLE
alan1476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005   #3
Senior Moderator, Editor and Guru

This problem came to me also some time ago. I also have norton antivirus installed, and it give me no problems. This problem arose suddenly without any apparent explanation. I'm not a furious program installer/uninstaller, but the only installations are updates by norton itself and windows.

I think that some of windows updates caused the problem, but don't know which. It seems that during shutdown windows make a sort security control of the system before to really shutdown, but this is only a my hypotesis.
geno888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005   #4
CDFreaks Resident

have a look at these
http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php
http://www.theeldergeek.com/shutdown_issues_in_xp.htm
phil_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005   #5
Former Moderator

did you check the dr watson log to see if anything migth be listed there...
also check everything that is in startup -> msconfig
it migth be somehting small for all you know
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz running Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Corsair H50 Hydro Cooler CWCH50
Intel BOXDZ77GA70K LGA 1155 Intel Z77 motherboard
Corsair DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB)
ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5
SAMSUNG 840 Pro 512GB Series MZ-7PD512BW
WD Caviar Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
WD Caviar Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Pioneer BD-RW BDR-206D
when needed...
Lite-On LTR-52246S 6S0F (via USB 2.0 to IDE)
Lite-On JLMS XJ-HD166S DS1C (via USB 2.0 to IDE)
NEC 3500AG 2.TC Quiet (via USB 2.0 to IDE)
Lite-On SOHW 1673S JS07 (via USB 2.0 to IDE)

Found a Solution here helpful? Like the forum's?
Well then, what are you waiting for JOIN NOW!!!
xtacydima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005   #6

The only thing that I've found on these references is that regarding logitech mouses. Because of a breakdown I must change my mouse. Previously I had an OEM logitech and I substitute it with another OEM logitech. I don't remember if my problems arose whan I substitute the mouse, bui I've noted a difference: previous mouse attenuate its light whan not in use, and augment light whan in use. My new mouse is always light, even when is unused.

There is a method to verify this without purchase a new mouse? I don't have anymore the old one.
Old 10-07-2005   #7
MyCE Resident

My gut tells me it's something to do with Norton Antivirus ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1476
... Always make sure you don't shut down your computer with a disc in the drive ...
Trays are usually empty when I shutdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geno888
... I also have norton antivirus installed ... This problem arose suddenly without any apparent explanation ... I think that some of windows updates caused the problem, but don't know which. It seems that during shutdown windows make a sort security control of the system before to really shutdown, but this is only a my hypotesis.
I wouldn't be surprised if a MS security update screwed my computer. But, the awful part is, if I want to 'back track' and/or uninstall these updates, I'm essentially screwed unless I'm willing to reinstall applications which were 'affected' by the security updates (as it lists for you when you try uninstalling them).

Fantastic links. I've visited the first link several times before and tried everything there that relates to this problem. No luck so far. Looking at the other link now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtacydima
did you check the dr watson log to see if anything migth be listed there ... also check everything that is in startup -> msconfig
Dr. Watson 1.00b: "No Faults Detected"

msconfig (XP SP2): I check it religiously. I always strip down the loading apps & services to a minimum.

task manager: I also check this frequently and haven't noticed anything 'unusual' running just before shutdown.

Other ... recently virus & adware scanned, which came up clean.
Old 10-07-2005   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninbang
My gut tells me it's something to do with Norton Antivirus ....
I had norton antivirus installed before that this problem arose, never had this problem. Is for this reason that I think that was a windows update to create the problem. I don't remember exactly when arose, so I can't make an update the real culprit: it's only a my hypotesis.

The only modify to my system was a new mouse.

I don't make many installations, so my system is not overload of applications.

The only thing that prevent me to reinstall all system is a very boring work to reinstall all programs and updates, possibly to return to the same problem after updates installation. It's a very consuming time to install updates one by one to find the real culprit. And there is the possibility that the culprit is a needed security patch...
Old 10-07-2005   #9
MyCE Resident

I'm with you there ... if it turns out Windows security updates are the cause, then it may require a tedious process of reinstalling Norton after each MS security update. Just a guess as well.
Old 10-07-2005   #10

Anyway I'd like to know things with more precision. If this is the price for security, maybe is worth to pay it, but I'd like to know it without doubt
Old 11-07-2005   #11
MyCE Resident

Uninstalled Norton Antivirus.

Rebooted fine without delays ... that is ... is until I left the computer on for a while and ran some programs, etc. STILL SAME ISSUE .. hangs at "Saving Your Settings". The longer the computer is on, it seems to hang longer. Really strange.

So, antivirus doesn't seem to be it. I guess it's a MS security update issue somehow then. I've seen the links to MS knowledge base referrring to the fix for hanging shutdown issues ... BUT ... the fixes relate to SP1 and is supposed to have been included in SP2. LOL. Good ole winblows. I guess still ain't fixed.

Hopefully, it's something else b/c I have no clue how to troubleshoot the security updates without un/re-installing each and every one = an incredibly annoying pain in the ...
Old 11-07-2005   #12
MyCE Resident

I had this problem, this culprit was a shitty modem i got from my ISP when i got broadband (it was a dial up ADSL [WTF]). If i left the computer on more than five mins with the modem on It would hang on shutdown. My ISP sed the problem was the modem was asking for power when my computer wanted to shut off so they wer 'arguing' and the computer would hang, but that mite be BS. So i smashed it up and got a nice ADSL router/modem that was on all the time. Problem solved.

Try unplugging your modem, leave you computer on for a bit, and then try shutting down. Try unplugging anything that drains power from ur computer (printer maybe???) one by one and see if that solves anything.

Hope that helps.

Gigabyte GA-7VA
AMD 2400+ 2.06GHz,
ATI Radeon 9600xt 256mb,
1gig PC2700 DDR Ram,
160gig Western Digital harddrive,
NEC 2500a,
Soundblaster Live Digital 5.1,
Windows XP Prof
kaybing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #13
Video editing software expert

Other things to try:
1. Defrag your hd's
2. Run a registry cleaner
3. Run adaware and spybot

IN WIN Dragon Rider case, Asrock z68 extreme4, core I7 2600k @4.0, cm hyper 212 plus, 8gb Gskill 1600mhz cl8 memory,EVGA GTX 970 FTW, Samsung pinpoint f3 1tb 7200 rpm hdd, Crucial M4 128gb SSD, wd 600gb velociraptor, 4tb NAS, win 7 pro 64bit, Samsung S203N DVD burner,LG bluray burner, Dell 27" U2713HM, Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1

C2D E6550,3gb DDR2-800mhz,150gb 10000rpm raptor (R.I.P.) - replaced with 180GB Intel 330 SSD ,1TB sata hdd, geforce 8800 gt, Vista Ultimate, Hanspree 25" LCD ,Samsung bluray DVD reader\dvd\rw16x, Samsung S203N, ADS Pyro A/V Link,Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1 SS
harley2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybing27
Try unplugging your modem, leave you computer on for a bit, and then try shutting down. Try unplugging anything that drains power from ur computer (printer maybe???) one by one and see if that solves anything.

Hope that helps.
I haven't broadband; I use standard modem
No printers or other devices active when shutdown computer. My PSU is a 450W coolermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley2ride
Other things to try:
1. Defrag your hd's
2. Run a registry cleaner
3. Run adaware and spybot
My disc is defragged and I run regularly spybot-adaware.

The only thing that I've suspended for a while is windows update. I'll try this also: maybe they've solved the problem
Old 11-07-2005   #15
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by geno888
I haven't broadband; I use standard modem
No printers or other devices active when shutdown computer. My PSU is a 450W coolermaster
Have you tried shutting down with your standard modem unplugged, if yes and it stil happens, then sorry, i cant think of anything more.

Hope soon you find the solution. Good luck.

Oh and just to clear something up, does "saving your settings" stay for a really long time then shutdown or does it hang forever? Mine just hung forever so if it just takes really long, i cant help you soz.

Gigabyte GA-7VA
AMD 2400+ 2.06GHz,
ATI Radeon 9600xt 256mb,
1gig PC2700 DDR Ram,
160gig Western Digital harddrive,
NEC 2500a,
Soundblaster Live Digital 5.1,
Windows XP Prof
kaybing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005   #16

When I shutdown, all devices are unplugged (also modem, which I turn off after exit from internet).

In my case "saving your settings" stay for a some time (over 2 min), but after this comp shutdown without problems.

My last resort should be to reinstall a previous ghost image. If I found one without this problem then I'll proceed to redo all updates, starting from norton and then one by one also windows updates. If I found the culprit I'll surely post results.

I hope to have one of this images.
Old 12-07-2005   #17
Retired Moderator & Reviewer

Have you tried running a check disc? Right click on your C: drive and under Properties>Tools>Error-checking>Check volume for errors. Might help.
Click here to join Myce.com
crossg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossg
Have you tried running a check disc? Right click on your C: drive and under Properties>Tools>Error-checking>Check volume for errors. Might help.
I'll try this, but hope that are no problems, because HD was purchased 6 month ago
Old 16-07-2005   #19
MyCE Senior Member

It's a user profile that fails to unload on shutdown. When I had this same problem, I used to keep Ctrl pressed down at shutdown. Until I found UPHClean on Microsoft's site, which solved the problem. P.
petremure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2005   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by petremure
It's a user profile that fails to unload on shutdown. When I had this same problem, I used to keep Ctrl pressed down at shutdown. Until I found UPHClean on Microsoft's site, which solved the problem. P.
Downloaded right now. I'll try and will post results.

Thanks for information petremure
Old 16-07-2005   #21

Quote:
@petremure

THANKS

It was this the problem. I installed the patch and this solved any delay on shutdown.

More explanations can be found HERE, at m$ site
Old 20-07-2005   #22
MyCE Resident

Quote:
YES!! F I N A L L Y !!!!

I basically had given up hope on this despite scouring through countless webpages with suggestions that never addressed this simple problem. Considering the patch was originally written for Win2000, it's hard to believe ( or is it? ) MS couldn't get this figured out by WinXP - ie. even though this hanging at shutdown problem was supposedly solved through SP1 or SP2 ... I have used both and have yet always suffered through this.

My usual Shutdown Routine ... I proceed to shutdown windows ... then, move to the bathrooom, where I find myself brushing my teeth, washing my face, and taking out my contacts ... ahhh, feel much better ... then, head back to the room and PRAY the computer has finally shutdown ... ... start to utter indistinguishable sounds of anguish ... and then ... wait ... then wait ... t h e n .... w a i ............................... t.

Enter NOW: download UPHClean v1.5e patch from M$ ... VOILA!! POOF ... problem gone.

THANK YOU, petremure!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 21-07-2005   #23
MyCE Senior Member

You're more than welcome, as I said, I had the same problem once. A long time, I had to shutdown XP keeping Ctrl pressed down (it works, too). MS should have included UPHClean in it's makeup, but no, Bill is too busy counting his change, I think....
petremure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2005   #24
MyCE Resident

I get my 2kPro SP4 hanging for a while (a min) then going shutdown automatically at least i know what to do if mine does go wrong at some later date ... Thanks Guys!
Old 22-07-2005   #25
MyCE Resident

@lui gough:

Mine would vary ... sometimes a minute ... sometimes longer. But, it always did eventually shutdown on its own. It was just agonizing to wait through it. If yours is hanging for a minute then shutting down, it may be worth a shot to try UPHClean to see if it helps at all. You can always disable the service and startup if you're not satisfied.