Old 08-08-2005   #1
New on Forum

Recommend software to mirror a hard drive

Of the software available to mirror a hard drive, which is the best. I just upgraded my computer and spent a lot of time installing drivers, programs and updates. Everything works great, and I would like to make a mirrowed backup in the event of a crash. Is Norton's Ghost best? What are the alternatives?
Thanks
Palm Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #2
CDFreaks Resident

Re: Recommend software to mirror a hard drive

in my opinion acronis trueimage
takes less resources then ghost and much easier to use and faster
been using for bout a year and it never failed me , also unlike ghost the bootable disc loads the program directly in ghost it loads windows pe first which takes time
phil_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #3
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_
in my opinion acronis trueimage
takes less resources then ghost and much easier to use and faster
been using for bout a year and it never failed me , also unlike ghost the bootable disc loads the program directly in ghost it loads windows pe first which takes time
I use Norton Ghost, but have been hearing alot about Acronis and I am seriously considering switching.
DJMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #4
MyCE Resident

I've been using Ghost for a couple of years, I don't use it in windows but from the ghost dos boot disk or the command prompt, it simple and quick. I start it up when I'm done using the 'puter for the night and let it ghost the partiton I want it too.

Not registered - Go register to use the forums to their fullest Click here
jm1647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #5
MyCE Resident

Yep. Use ghost myself from DOS. It's a beauty. Relatively reliable, and fast for the dos version.

Tried others too, but Ghost DOS is happy with drives >200GB and USB devices so i'm ULTRA HAPPY!
Old 08-08-2005   #6
MyCE Resident

acronis trueimage.
i do use this in the office to backup 7 pc's every night automatically to a file-server - each of these pc's runs a 1-3 GB sized data-base, and backing up these pcs is something which ghost did fail with.
trueimage is wonderful!
Razor1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #7
CDFreaks Resident

I switched to Acronis because their personal version (cheap) supports my SATA controllers, my network, etc.

Plus they have a spiffy graphical interface, and their Windows client actually DOES something (unlike Ghost).
Gurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #8
Senior Moderator, Editor and Guru

I also agree for Acronis Trueimage. It runs under windows (not require DOS), it's simple to use, and allow also to clone OS if someone want change system hard disc with a new one
geno888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #9
New on Forum

Didn't think about it....I have SATA RAID.....Is this an issue with Norton Ghost or Acronis Trueimage?
Palm Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #10
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palm Beach
Didn't think about it....I have SATA RAID.....Is this an issue with Norton Ghost or Acronis Trueimage?
Not sure about current versions of Ghost - haven't used it in a year or two. Current versions of Acronis support most SATA/RAID. My Silicon Image SATA RAID works fine with Acronis.
Old 09-08-2005   #11
MyCE Resident

Make sure you check with Acronis first. I read an article in passing last month where a RAID configuration was trashed. I believe it was an Adaptec controler but I very easily could be wrong as I am not a RAID advocate.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #12
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039
Make sure you check with Acronis first. I read an article in passing last month where a RAID configuration was trashed. I believe it was an Adaptec controler but I very easily could be wrong as I am not a RAID advocate.
Excellent suggestion. I'm a big believer in making the sales/support guys at a company earn their damn paychecks.
Old 09-08-2005   #13
Video editing software expert

Check out this link...http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,121969,00.asp

IN WIN Dragon Rider case, Asrock z68 extreme4, core I7 2600k @4.0, cm hyper 212 plus, 8gb Gskill 1600mhz cl8 memory,EVGA GTX 970 FTW, Samsung pinpoint f3 1tb 7200 rpm hdd, Crucial M4 128gb SSD, wd 600gb velociraptor, 4tb NAS, win 7 pro 64bit, Samsung S203N DVD burner,LG bluray burner, Dell 27" U2713HM, Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1

C2D E6550,3gb DDR2-800mhz,150gb 10000rpm raptor (R.I.P.) - replaced with 180GB Intel 330 SSD ,1TB sata hdd, geforce 8800 gt, Vista Ultimate, Hanspree 25" LCD ,Samsung bluray DVD reader\dvd\rw16x, Samsung S203N, ADS Pyro A/V Link,Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1 SS
harley2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #14
CDFreaks Resident

My vote goes to Acronis True Image. I have been using this progarm for over two years now and have done well over 200 restores, and not once have I ever lost a file, the restores were always perfect. I would not consider any other.

That being said, prior to using Acronis, I used Powerquests Drive Image, it did a decent job but was nowhere as fast as Acronis. On December 5th 2003, Symantec bought out Power Quest and now offers both Drive Image and Ghost as imaging programs.

I did try Ghost, but IMHO Acronis works better for me. I'm not a supporter of Norton or Symantec products, I find them far to bulky for what they do, but that's just me, I'm sure there are many that love and swear by the Symantec products.
itzbinnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005   #15
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley2ride
No offense, but the fact that the three MOST popular programs (Ghost, Drive Image, and TrueImage) aren't even ON that list... is fishy. Add to that the fact that they're ranking software from NTI in the top 10... and you have a gigantic PIECE OF ADVERTISING.
Old 10-08-2005   #16
CE Freak

I use Norton Ghost 2003 for DOS, Update 3. It works 100% outside of Windows, so it gets all files in context, no problem.

Fits on a boot floppy or boot CD. It is just over 1 meg in size.

Ghost 2001 for DOS is about 600k in size and works great too, but is about 2x slower in compressing with Fast Compression.

I can use Ghost Explorer to read and extract from images once inside Windows if I wish.

BTW, I think Ghost 2003 is the last TRUE version of the original Ghost. I think they replaced it with some other app they bought in the newer releases.

A $10 floppy drive can give you so many benefits it's still worth having.
BeardedKirklander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005   #17
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurm
No offense, but the fact that the three MOST popular programs (Ghost, Drive Image, and TrueImage) aren't even ON that list... is fishy. Add to that the fact that they're ranking software from NTI in the top 10... and you have a gigantic PIECE OF ADVERTISING.
I seldom ever take recommendations from such sites, too much risk for conflict of interest. In other words they're being paid to promote certain products.

I myself prefer to hear from end users who point out the pros and cons of the software, and have nothing to gain in their opinion of the product.
Old 30-09-2005   #18
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palm Beach
Of the software available to mirror a hard drive, which is the best. I just upgraded my computer and spent a lot of time installing drivers, programs and updates. Everything works great, and I would like to make a mirrowed backup in the event of a crash. Is Norton's Ghost best? What are the alternatives?
Thanks
Your alternatives are Acronis Trueimage, which is almost the same thing as Ghost. Or you could install a RAID and run it in mirrored mode. Ghost is usually enough for most people unless they start getting complicated with their systems. If you have a simple IDE or SATA drive setup with an CDRW or DVDRW drive your chances are excellent. If you don't want to learn about RAIDs then you can buy a second hard drive at least as large as the primary one and back up to it (with Ghost). It's usually the fastest, as backing up to DVD or CD can be slow, and it usually requires you to be there. Another option is plugging in a USB drive or firewire drive and backing up to it, however, you'll have to make sure you have the driver disk handy when it comes to a restore, if the backup drive is not natively supported by Ghost. Backing up more complicated systems CAN be done, but it usually requires someone who really knows what they're doing and can be either error prone or just plain tedious. One other down side of Symantec-if you have a problem, you'll probably be on your own. You'll end up having to search their knowledgebase for the answer-or even a forum like this. Good luck!!
tsberry901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2005   #19
CDFreaks Resident

I just find that Ghost is a 10-year-old program at heart. Acronis is newer, FEELS newer, and runs faster on modern equipment.
Old 30-09-2005   #20
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurm
I just find that Ghost is a 10-year-old program at heart. Acronis is newer, FEELS newer, and runs faster on modern equipment.
And with the lastest update you can now do individual folders or files. So it's not just for image backups.

I love the way you can mount one of the backup images on a virtual drive & just drag back files you need to restore. Although with the lastest update you can just restore a file through the wizard.

I found with Ghost that if I was restoring an image to a drive smaller than the original that it failed. I was just trying to test some new changes I was going to make. However, True Image just resizes (up or down) automatically.
TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2005   #21
CDFreaks Resident

That's exactly my point. Ghost probably does MOST of what TrueImage does, but it's built on a piece of software that is at its heart still a DOS/NT3 backup tool. It remains largely unchanged since Symantec acquired it some 7 years back.
Old 30-09-2005   #22
MyCE Resident Old Fart

Location: Diehard Old CDFreak Lurking In The Back Of Your Mind

Yo-

As a Acronis True Image user for the past three years - I have to add my vote for best backup software available for the pc today - and at $29 it is a real bargain - especially when you need to depend on it!!!

Mike

(Y) <- - - (a tribute to *someone*)

Brayden & Lil Burnits Proud Cyber Grampie - 'CERCA, TROVA' - 'NOVUS ORDO SECLORUM'

Work Computer = ZT Systems i7-2600 CPU w/32GB DDR3-1333 G. Skill Ripjaws X RAM/ Win7 Pro-sp1 /Crucial M500 480GB SSD @ SATA3 /Western Digital VelociRaptor 500GB Workstation HDD @ SATA3 /Corsair 650 watt PSU /Pioneer BDR-2207 as BD burner /Lite-On iHBS-112-04 as Reader/Ripper and BD Disc Quality Tester /Dell 27 inch S-IPS monitor w/LED backlight /XFX Radeon HD6870 w/2GB GDDR5RAM /Ashampoo Burning Studio 2012 /DVDFab 9

Burning Computer = HP xw8400 workstation w/ Two Xeon 5160, dual core, 3.0 mhz CPU's w/ 16gb PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM /Win7 Pro-sp1 /Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD /Western Digital Caviar Black 640gb w/64mb cache HDD /Corsair 850 watt psu / Optiarc AD-5280S-CB-PLUS w/v1.Z7 fw as Disc Burner and Disc Quality Tester /Optiarc AD-5280S-CB-PLUS w/v1.Z7 fw as Disc Reader/Ripper /ATi Radeon HD 5770 w/1gb GDDR5 Ram Videocard /HP 24" LCD /Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 /DVDFab 9

On The Shelf: (1) Benq 1640, (1)BenQ 1640 @EW168, Pioneer (2) 115D, (3) Optiarc 7200A, Optiarc 7260A, Asus DRW-24b1ST
bigmike7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005   #23
MyCE Senior Member

Fred Langa, a well known computer guru, says in his newsletter that BootitNG is the best app in the field, better than Ghost, anyway. I've read his nwslttr for several years, and has never disappointed me yet.
Finally, it's a matter of habit and personal taste, which app you use for imaging drives. The important thing is to make one, in case the dark matter hits the fan.
petremure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #24
MyCE Rookie

To this day I still swear by simply using the XCOPY dos command with a spare
internal hard drive. I just can't be bothered with making sure I have an
appropriate boot disk with the correct drivers needed to load a ghost image
that I probably lost 3 years back when I made it....LOL

I have 2 machines at home that I do this way.
A WinXP(sp2) machine with 2 Seagate SATA drives.
and
A Win98se Gaming machine with 2 EIDE drives.

With hard drives being so cheap these days, I find it easiest to just mirror
backup one drive to the other with dos. Then just boot from the backup via
bios when needed. I'm sure to be laughed at, but this has worked for me
for years now, and haven't had a problem doing it this way yet.
Aquatarkus95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #25
CDFreaks Resident

Aquatarkus95,
I suppose you could do it that way, but really how hard is it to put a CD into the drive to restore your image, my Acronis is my favorite software and I know where that restore disk is at all times, I treasure it.

Besides by using Xcopy command does not permit you to compress the image.
My images are compressed about 50 %, thus I can do two images to your one with the same amount of disk space used. I usually store about 10 images.

Each to his own though, if it works for you by all means use that method, the important thing is that one is able to restore their system to a functioning OS in a short period of time, regardless of what the method is used.

Those that do not back up their systems will regret it some day.