Old 30-10-2005   #1
CD Freaks Junior Member

Realtek AC97 Audio Problems

Hello

I am currently having a problem with my sound card on my computer. It is a Realtek Audio 97. The sound volume has reduced down substantailly and I can hardly hear it without putting headphones on and then at full volume it is not very loud.

I have tried the Start, Run, Sndvol32 suggestion on one of the other threads and have checked that everything is not muted and it at full volume but this still does not increase the volume.

Any thoughts?
kanamint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2005   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Realtek AC97 Audio Problems

Master Volume too low....

Should be editable in the settings>control panel>sounds and audio devices ...

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2005   #3
New on Forum

I had a lot of problems with the same onboard audio card as you and some other problems with it. I went into the BIOS diabled the onboard sound and installed a normal Soundblaster card. My PC never sounded this good before.
Old 31-10-2005   #4
MyCE Senior Member

Word.

Of all things, I have a Creative/Ensoniq AudioPCI (circa 1998) in my new-ish (2003) computer.
NRen2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005   #5
CD Freaks Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynyrd78
I had a lot of problems with the same onboard audio card as you and some other problems with it. I went into the BIOS diabled the onboard sound and installed a normal Soundblaster card. My PC never sounded this good before.
Isn't it dangerous to go into the BIOS? - I've heard you can do serious damage to your computer and this should only be done by a technician.
kanamint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005   #6
MyCE Senior Member

Yes, you're right.

However it is perfectly safe to go in and only change the setting we're talking about (disabling onboard audio). It won't affect anything else.
NRen2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2005   #7
New on Forum

Anyone Help? I have on board sound on Gigabyte GA-1915PL. Sound is Realtek AC97 and sound is tinny....almost no bass...any suggestions?
usash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2005   #8
MyCE Resident

just make sure you connected the speaker- / headphone cable into the right output port (if it's a 5.1 chip, choose the one for the front speakers) and make sure you have set up the correct sound setup (5.1 / stereo / headphones) in your windows / driver settings.
if it still does not sound good, go and get a dedicated (good) sound card
Razor1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #9
New on Forum

I am getting the sound being disturbed (breaking up) in between when playing any music. Even if it is online music it's doing the same thing. This started happening after I installed XP SP2. Can anybody help??
jay_1648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007   #10
New on Forum

I am using the Realtek AC 97 audio card and am having problems with Adobe Premier Pro. It keeps crashing and tells me I have a [\dev\stingrayh\backend\src\filecache\filecache.cpp-879] error message. I also found that Premiere needs an Direct Sound or ASIO compatible sound card. Is Realtek compatible with these two cards? or does anyone know why I keep crashing and why my wave line will not appear in Premier timeline?
imiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #11
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanamint View Post
Hello

I am currently having a problem with my sound card on my computer. It is a Realtek Audio 97. The sound volume has reduced down substantailly and I can hardly hear it without putting headphones on and then at full volume it is not very loud.

I have tried the Start, Run, Sndvol32 suggestion on one of the other threads and have checked that everything is not muted and it at full volume but this still does not increase the volume.

Any thoughts?
I had the same problem, when i reinstalled my Acer TravelMate 2400, which contains the same soundchip. After having installed the original drivers from the manufacturer this didn't solve the problem. I did a little on/off trial-and-error i actually ended up with a solution - inspired by this thread http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=84730

In c:\windows\system32\drivers i found two files:

alcxhweq.dat
alcxinit.dat

I deleted those, rebooted, disabled the soundmanager equalizer and sat s/pdif-out to analog and digital. This seemed to have worked for me.

/Bubber
Bubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013   #12

Hello having the same problems with the ac97 realtek onboard card

hey after reading this thread I am having the same problems if not more out of my realtek AC97 driver an onboard chip set I have certain sound that will go out and come back ambient sounds leaving and returning distortion ill be playing a game and shoot something I get a chirp sound out of one speaker then normal sound out of the other one it has gone totally screwy it worked wounderful with my old XP OS but ever sence I switched to windows 7 32 ultimate it only worked right for a couple day's then all then problems started.

I already tried to get the latest driver which is the one I have driver version 6.0.1.6305 which has not been updated sence 6-19-2009 it is driving me up the wall and I am tired of screwing with it.

I do have an older sound blaster card model Ct4670 would it be possible to make that card work in my windows 7 machine.

it is an older custom built machine tforce am2 board
amd Athlon 64 X2 3800
4.00GB Dual-channel DDr2 memory
nivida GeForce 9500gt 1024MB
Seagate 500 gb sata drive

if that older sound card will work what will I need to do to get the computer to detect it?
Joe3561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013   #13
CE Freak

I can't address the low-volume issue but I've got a few CT4600-Series SB LIVE! cards that work on Win7-64.

However, I didn't do Add-In's later - I had those cards installed from the beginning. SB LIVE's driver offering might be scattered all over the web - you might Google "SB CT4670" and see if you find some sites. Here's an old one, offering Soundblaster's own drivers - but from 2005 and only for XP-64 as a Beta.

To disable onboard sound, first I'd go into Windows Control Panel and see if you can Uninstall all Realtek Audio drivers. Then, without rebooting, see if you can DELETE REALTEK SOUND CARD. At this point, you're probably forced to do a Restart.

Do a Shutdown instead. (You don't want Windows restarting and 'see' the audio chipset and reinstalling the drivers-that-don't work. Not yet, at least!)

Then, upon reboot, enter the BIOS SETUP (DEL or F2) and find the options to "onboard audio = DISABLE". The option may be called "onboard audio" or "sound chipset" or ?? And it may be tucked away into some subsets of the TForce BIOS screens. Sometimes I take a note or two to help me remember what I've done. But there will be an Onboard Audio option that can be disabled.

SAVE this BIOS setup and, when the computer restarts, do a Shutdown fairly quickly - long before Windows starts up.

Now, install the old sound card.

(There is a chance that inserting the soundcard will auto-disable onboard sound, by the way. But since it's an older chipset, I'm not sure if the TFORCE motherboard will happily disable a new Realtek for an old CT board.)

If Windows can't locate drivers itself, ugh. You might need to Win7-32 Install disk. If it still can't find drivers, and your earlier search for them was fruitless, then I'd consider "Do I want a full backup of my files and a clean re-install of Win7-32? Or try to find some solution to the Low Realtek Volume."
ChristineBCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013   #14
Senior Administrator

I had issues (noise) playing back certain files on my PC but that was not caused by the soundcard or its drivers but rather by configuring FFDSHOW Audio Decoder Configuration as described here. As soon as I set "Uncompressed" to "All supported" the noise starts.

Unrequested PM about drive problems will not be answered!
Liggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineBCW View Post
I can't address the low-volume issue but I've got a few CT4600-Series SB LIVE! cards that work on Win7-64.

However, I didn't do Add-In's later - I had those cards installed from the beginning. SB LIVE's driver offering might be scattered all over the web - you might Google "SB CT4670" and see if you find some sites. Here's an old one, offering Soundblaster's own drivers - but from 2005 and only for XP-64 as a Beta.

To disable onboard sound, first I'd go into Windows Control Panel and see if you can Uninstall all Realtek Audio drivers. Then, without rebooting, see if you can DELETE REALTEK SOUND CARD. At this point, you're probably forced to do a Restart.

Do a Shutdown instead. (You don't want Windows restarting and 'see' the audio chipset and reinstalling the drivers-that-don't work. Not yet, at least!)

Then, upon reboot, enter the BIOS SETUP (DEL or F2) and find the options to "onboard audio = DISABLE". The option may be called "onboard audio" or "sound chipset" or ?? And it may be tucked away into some subsets of the TForce BIOS screens. Sometimes I take a note or two to help me remember what I've done. But there will be an Onboard Audio option that can be disabled.

SAVE this BIOS setup and, when the computer restarts, do a Shutdown fairly quickly - long before Windows starts up.

Now, install the old sound card.

(There is a chance that inserting the soundcard will auto-disable onboard sound, by the way. But since it's an older chipset, I'm not sure if the TFORCE motherboard will happily disable a new Realtek for an old CT board.)

If Windows can't locate drivers itself, ugh. You might need to Win7-32 Install disk. If it still can't find drivers, and your earlier search for them was fruitless, then I'd consider "Do I want a full backup of my files and a clean re-install of Win7-32? Or try to find some solution to the Low Realtek Volume."
Yea I already tried and installed the card but the computer didn't recognize it but of course I did not know that you need to disable the onboard sound chips for it to work so thank you for explaining it to me.
Old 14-08-2013   #16

my sound blaster card

I have done some research on my Ct4670 apparently creative did offer or is offering a driver for windows 7 for those cards weather it works or not remains to be seen an chances are ill have to manually download and install it. but before I do all that ill try one last thing and unstall the factory drivers and codecs and re down load them and install them and if that doesn't fix then ill go with my SB card.
Old 14-08-2013   #17
CE Freak

Joe, that's something I should have suggested first. "Uninstall the drivers, then DELETE the sound-system in System Manager, restart computer and see what happens."

Windows might (should?) re-detect the existing hardware that you 'deleted' and it might just reinstall the drivers. If this solves the problem, then you've had software loaded on that PC that has made volume-adjustments itself.

Some motherboards might detect another sound-card and disable their own, OR they might be soooo smart that they see "That's too old - mine's newer so I'll keep mine". Or... they may be soooo dumb and think, "OK, I'm a dummie - this User has my sound system and now he's installing a second - he MUST know what he's doing so I'll leave both!"

In that case, the motherboard's BIOS would be the place to 'Disable' the onboard audio. It's an ENABLE - DISABLE option. Pick one, save it. Don't like it? Then pick the other and save that choice. Pretty straightforward.

IF you can find that setting!
Old 14-08-2013   #18
CE Freak

Oh... our Soundblaster CT47xx cards never used Creative's drivers. Win7-64 had those built-in and used those during Win7 installation.

But that's one difference that you could be facing - mine were From Install Day One, and yours is an add-on, and Win7 may be saying, "Huh? What is this? No one's told me to really dig deep to see if my drivers will work!"

I guess, before a Clean Window Install - reloading everything - I might consider buying some cheapo $15-20 sound card and see if that solved the problem. Just as a test. I still wouldn't be certain if the new driver fixed some other problem, or if the hardware was bad or ??
Old 15-08-2013   #19

uninstalled reinstalled fixed most of of the sound problems

Quote:
Joe, that's something I should have suggested first. "Uninstall the drivers, then DELETE the sound-system in System Manager, restart computer and see what happens."

Windows might (should?) re-detect the existing hardware that you 'deleted' and it might just reinstall the drivers. If this solves the problem, then you've had software loaded on that PC that has made volume-adjustments itself.

Some motherboards might detect another sound-card and disable their own, OR they might be soooo smart that they see "That's too old - mine's newer so I'll keep mine". Or... they may be soooo dumb and think, "OK, I'm a dummie - this User has my sound system and now he's installing a second - he MUST know what he's doing so I'll leave both!"

In that case, the motherboard's BIOS would be the place to 'Disable' the onboard audio. It's an ENABLE - DISABLE option. Pick one, save it. Don't like it? Then pick the other and save that choice. Pretty straightforward.

IF you can find that setting!
ok guys an gals I unstalled the driver rebooted the pc and for some reason it did not detectand install the driver so I went directly to realteck's site downloaded the driver an installed it well that fixed most of the offline issues all installed hard drive games sound works fine dvd player sounds work's fine media player sound is fine.

but for online gaming the sound is still screwed up either I am still having some hardware issue or the servers are having a lot of issues

but I have run all my malware and spy ware programs and virus programs disk defragment that fixed quite a bit of stuff but there is still some other problems that no amount software can fix.

my hard drive is only 5 days old an I ended with all theses errors my knowledge is limited but I have learned you pick bad stuff up anywhere on the net regardless of how web stites say their security is lol.
Old 15-08-2013   #20

oh and incase I did not mention it before im running windows 7 ultimate 32 bit Sp1
Old 15-08-2013   #21
CE Freak

KABLOOEY - something else that just occurred to ask! Darn...

Have you swapped between using Front Panel Audio plugs and the Rear Panel plugs?

You know there's a difference between "AC97" and "HDAudio",yes? Your PC's Case - it's front panel audio plugs - might have two separate connectors.

If I've used my AC97 Connector onto my BioStar motherboard, THEN I've installed HDAudio Drivers, I think "screwy sounds" are a likely result.

The Computer's Rear Panel conectors will be using whatever driver I DID install, however.

Have you checked to see if Sound Quality/Volume is different using Front or Back connectors?
Old 15-08-2013   #22

Quote:
KABLOOEY - something else that just occurred to ask! Darn...

Have you swapped between using Front Panel Audio plugs and the Rear Panel plugs?

You know there's a difference between "AC97" and "HDAudio",yes? Your PC's Case - it's front panel audio plugs - might have two separate connectors.

If I've used my AC97 Connector onto my BioStar motherboard, THEN I've installed HDAudio Drivers, I think "screwy sounds" are a likely result.

The Computer's Rear Panel conectors will be using whatever driver I DID install, however.

Have you checked to see if Sound Quality/Volume is different using Front or Back connectors?
no I have had the case for years it had front plugs originally but they were never hooked up and used so I just pulled them out during the last rebuild and as far as HD audio goes cant use those drivers my machine does not have Hdmi output's so I am pretty much limited to the old 2009 realtek ac97 audio driver I already tried to use realtek's hd driver it does not work on my machine so my hands are pretty much tied to using the regular driver my machine but I have read that realtek drivers have always had problem with windows 7. but for all of the offline sounds issues are fixed still having sound issues with one online game but this game was closed beta and just recently became open beta so they have been having a lot of error's and issues with their servers so that might be the cause of that. but I have got another error with windows update but of course that will be for another thread.

so thank you everyone for all the help Joe.