Old 09-05-2010   #1
CD Freaks Expert

'Press escape to exit full screen mode' won't go away

Most all flash videos I watch in full screen have the message 'Press escape to exit full screen mode' that will not go away like it should. It seems that at times the message actually does fade out but very rarely. If I right click the video I get a small 'settings' pop-up that is completely disabled. At that point I can't do anything to get the small settings box to go away and I must navigate away from the page.

Anyone have any ideas? I've tried visiting macromedia.com but even their pages that are supposed to show the settings manager are blank in that area. Not sure what I did to cause this.

RM
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: 'Press escape to exit full screen mode' won't go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMan View Post
Most all flash videos I watch in full screen have the message 'Press escape to exit full screen mode' that will not go away like it should. It seems that at times the message actually does fade out but very rarely. If I right click the video I get a small 'settings' pop-up that is completely disabled. At that point I can't do anything to get the small settings box to go away and I must navigate away from the page.

Anyone have any ideas? I've tried visiting macromedia.com but even their pages that are supposed to show the settings manager are blank in that area. Not sure what I did to cause this.

RM
What version of O/S are you using and what version of flash are you using? And what broswer are you view your flash in?
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #3
CD Freaks Expert

I have XP and running IE7. Not sure on the flash version. How can I find out? Strange thing is that some videos work as they should but some do not. I've tried to check my cookies settings but don't see anything related.

RM
Old 10-05-2010   #4
MyCE Senior Member

Try to uninstall Adobe Flash Player 10 Activex & Plugin from Control Panel/ Add Remove Programs, then install latest version.
petremure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #5
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMan View Post
I have XP and running IE7. Not sure on the flash version. How can I find out? Strange thing is that some videos work as they should but some do not. I've tried to check my cookies settings but don't see anything related.

RM
I would say go to your Add/Remove and see if it can tell you the version you have installed. Or go to the adobe site and use their checker to find out what version you have. Also you might want to go to IE8 as well.
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010   #6
CD Freaks Expert

Thanks for the suggestions.

I went to Add/Remove and got rid of all Adobe products, rebooted, went to Adobe and installed the latest 'Flash', rebooted, and still had this problem. It didn't happen on YouTube but it still happened at AOL. I just checked a couple of vids on each site.

I then found a neat trick at:

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...in-Flash-Video

I followed the below directions and now I don't even get the 'Press escape to exit...' message to begin with.

For patching Flash 10.0.45.2:

Step 1)
For Firefox/Safari/Opera: Open file NPSWF32.dll in hex editor, go to address 0x722FD
For Internet Explorer: Open file Flash10e.ocx in hex editor, go to address 0x72461

Step 2)
Check that bytes are 0F 84 F2 00 00 00, and change them to E9 F3 00 00 00 90.

After the above, all was good. At first however, I was unable to save the changes to the OCX file since it was read only. Windows would not let me change that. I also tried from a command prompt (attrib -s -h -r) and was denied. I then found I could make a copy of the file, remove the Read Only, make the changes, rename original, then rename copy back to expected name. Strange...

Be sure to know what you are doing before making any changes to files with a hex editor!!

RM