Old 22-11-2002   #1
New on Forum

Maxell Audio-Only CD-R: Recommended Audio Burn Speed

Hello fellow burners.

Just been given some MAXELL XL-II 80 min. audio-only cd-r discs and I'm trying to find out the recommended burn speed when using a cd-writer (40x Lite-on).

I have searched and searched but to be honest I am at a loss; the Maxell site is as good as useless and the recommended speeds like 16x max are for other brands.

Some people say that 4x is too slow and can damage audio-only one's, whilst others say I should be using 2x. I do find it strange why Maxell just doesn't stick a recommended speed on the side of the box, at least then we'd have some starting point from which to progress.

ANY info you can give would be very much appreciated. Thanks a lot for reading folks :-)
Moondigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2002   #2
MyCE Resident

I'm glad that you were given the discs, as it would have been a waste of money if you had bought them. Although they will work on a computer CD-RW drive, these discs are made for standalone audio recorders and have royalty fees included in their cost.

As standalone recorders are likely to be lower speed devices, I would start recording at the lowest speed and check the results with Nero CD Speed for quality and defects. If it passes the tests satisfactorily, you can then incrementally increase the speed until a point is reached where the recorded disc produces unacceptable errors.

See the information at Choosing Blank Media for Music CDs.
Inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2002   #3
CDFreaks Resident

Re: Maxell Audio-Only CD-R: Recommended Audio Burn Speed

Quote:
Originally posted by Moondigger

Just been given some MAXELL XL-II 80 min. audio-only cd-r discs and I'm trying to find out the recommended burn speed when using a cd-writer (40x Lite-on).

Some people say that 4x is too slow and can damage audio-only one's, whilst others say I should be using 2x. I do find it strange why Maxell just doesn't stick a recommended speed on the side of the box, at least then we'd have some starting point from which to progress.
Hi there ! To start with, my Maxell looks like this, which is Taiyo Yuden with its typical look - the ring is mat ( matte ) and the numbers are imprinted abreast.

The audio CDs' recording speed limitations are sort of "inplanted" by the manufacturer and can vary like 4x CLV - 16x CLV .

I often burn my audio stuff using Plextor's VariRec, which is 4x.
There haven't been shown any signs of damages/ errors whatsoever. Quite opposite, so far so good.

Last edited by BoSkin; 22-11-2002 at 23:44.
BoSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2002   #4
CD Freaks Senior Member

Slower is not necessarily better. According to McTanza (original message here, seventh post, also mentioned here http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~noe/...index-eng.html), the LiteOn 48x can't work properly under 16x.

On the other hand, audio CDRs are made for 1-2x standalone burners. That makes them 2x certified !

Stories about burning at 2x or 4x for audiophiles have no scientific background. Not even blind listening tests.

I'm afraid you are the only one to be able to answer your own question.

40x LiteOn burner, 2x CDR, but made by Tayo Yuden... In your shoes, I'd try 24x first, then 8x if it doesn't work, then 1x, then if it still doesn't work, I would begin to worry about the CDR quality

Edit : by the way, if you can, test in Track At Once without finalizing the audio session. This way, you can test all speeds on one CDR, burning track after track.
Old 22-11-2002   #5
CDFreaks Resident

@Pio2001

As for the LiteOn and Plextor drives, are you sure about the speed's existence there as 1x & 2x ?
BoSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2002   #6
CD Freaks Senior Member

Not at all. It was just an example. I don't know this burner.