Old 21-08-2005   #1
CD Freaks Junior Member

ip blocking/hiding software

How reliable is ip blocking software for downloading movies using p2p and torrents...would you rely on it and go ahead with downloading your movies thinking even a covert survlience wont get you tracked or found because it will make you anonymous?

i heard you can change your ip like from 198.254.x.x to 144.154.x.x and in the isp log it wont show which site you are browsing or what you are doing.

So if i was using a p2p torrent software like azeureus, i couldnt be tracked/found ?
jaffacake2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2005   #2
CDFreaks Resident

Re: ip blocking/hiding software

i think those kind of softwares are only for web browsers,anyway basicly the way to hide your ip is using a proxy the defintion for that is "a server that relays data between the user and the destination site/ip" there are many sites that have lists of open proxies now whats open proxies are:
alot of proxy admins doesnt configure access right therfore the proxy is basicly "open to the public" so whenever they notice ips outside of their network connected to it or that the bandwidth usage has increased dramatically they will likely configure it right and you wont be able to use it again) so open proxies dont last long just few days

now how anonymous are proxies : basicly there are transparent and anonymous proxies , transparent means the proxy also shows your real ip at the http header and everytime you surf to a site it logs some details (operating system,browser,your ip or the proxy ip, if you use a transparent proxy then the proxy ip & yours will be logged but if you use an annoymous proxy only the proxy ip will be logged) basicly for surfing its best to use anonymous proxies for other stuff it really doesnt matter also some proxies support irc and and for other things for example icq you must have a proxy that supports SSL which is also known as HTTPS , alot of proxies keep logs of what ips/sites your ip connected to and what ports and maybe also the packet data also many proxies have a thing called "cache" which suppost to make page/image loading somewhat faster basicly the proxy downloads each page/image before it sends it to you , its not easy to find a fast anonymous proxy as tons of ppl using em however its easy to find a fast transparent one since the usage on those is much lower , there are 2 types of proxies http and socks basicly http is intended for site surfin (but may also be used for some other stuff) while socks is intended for any tcp/ip communication except site surfin , some isps have a built-in transparent proxy which prevents users from using port 80 proxies that can be checked with a proxy environment checker like proxyjudge , since there are logs and possibly also packet data logs and maybe saved pages/images you visited if theres a cache, using a proxy doesnt make you 100% safe , as for blocking ip ranges of riaa and alike (best for that is peerguardian) it makes you safer but not 100% safer what will really make you safer is moving the downloaded file/s to another folder after the download/s has finished, not all bittorrent clients supports proxy
phil_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2005   #3
MyCE Resident

Within Azureus I use the Safepeer plug-in. In addition to that I also use PeerGuardian.
With both of these running I certainly block loads of IP addresses but I don't believe that it's 100% secure , maybe 95% only, but much better than nothing. Others use Protowall but I can't seem to get that running.
TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2005   #4
MyCE Resident

As Phil has indicated there are number of ways to hide your IP Address. The easiest ones are:

1. Find a "free" proxy server (use google), in "Connection Settings" of your browser set the proxy values. (Temporary solution, for reasons Phil mentioned).

2. Use a software. Like: http://www.v7soft.net/. Disadvantage that it works only with IE.

MOTTO:

"Everything is possible. The impossible just takes longer." (Dan Brown)

PLEXTOR:
"King of Quality".
alex thyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005   #5
CD Freaks Junior Member

What about Jap does it use transparent or anonymous proxies? (i couldnt it whether it does or not) coz thats what im using at the moment.

Login: yes
Password: incorrect
Old 24-08-2005   #6
Optical storage technical expert

I think u guys (except phil who didn't mention hiding IP) have the wrong idea. Here's the truth and facts.

There r in fact 2 IPs in question. Your internal one for your internal LAN, i.e. if you are using NAT, router etc, most likely be 192.168.x.x. And the 2nd one is the one that is assigned to you by the ISP, which is seen by the internet.

Now, I think you guys are all talking about the ISP assigned one right?
Well, this cannot be hidden, since it's what is required for the ISP to send you back any requests, i.e. webpages, VPN, etc. Unless of course you'd rather just send out only and don't want to receive anything, then you may be able to spoof your IP.

The only way to sort of hide what you are doing is not by installing a proxy server software on your machine, but rather you being able to use someone elses real external remote proxy server anonymously, i.e. encrypted like SSL, SHTML, VPN, etc, or else data (including web addresses) will just be visible.

The idea is this:
1. your PC will request (using your ISP assigned IP, which isn't hidden at all) your ISP to communicate with the remote proxy server,
2. and it's the remote proxy server that will get you the requested (webpage, etc) for you and not your ISP. Job achieved.

Remember that all this data has to be relayed between your ISP in order to get to you, hence why you cannot hide your ISP assigned IP. But because the data was encrypted the ISP will not know where you have been, other than the knowledge that you went to the remote proxy server and transferred some encrypted data.

There is a caveat, if they wanted to, a community with higher order (CIA, FBI, etc) can check out the remote proxy server you are using to spy and trace you. There is nothing you can do since the remote proxy server will most likely have an owner.

Obviously, if you r talking about the internal IP, then yes that can be hidden. But what would this accomplish?
Old 24-08-2005   #7
CDFreaks Resident

Now on the other hand you can work with proxies in countries that aren't likely to force their citizens to hand over such information, such as China or Antigua or some of the African nations or Scandinavia. But seriously, what are you going to achieve? Proxies really only work with web pages anyway (and sometimes USENET or IRC).

So P2P via Proxy just isn't realistically going to happen.
Gurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005   #8
CD Freaks Junior Member

OK, i have my internal ip as 10.0.0.x and my external ip as
host-212.158.241.xxx.ispname.com (or 212.158.241.xxx), so if i have a ip blocker it will only hide my external 212.158.241.xxx ip address and not my 10.0.0.x internal ip address? its like a transparent mask?

So, the ip hiding/blocking software is meaningless because bcoz the ISP will be able to see which websites im browsing or what im downloading anyway?

isnt using someone elses real remote proxy server anonymously samething as using ip blocking software like at: www.v7soft.net or have to find one that uses https and SSL?

Say my real isp assigned ip 10.0.0.x makes a request for a webpage or download software, in the isp log it gets recorded as going to anon.com or anonyimser.com and end theres, so thats all they see. Then anonmiser.com goes to warner bros., the movie or page from wb comes to anonmiser.com, so my isp doesnt really where i been?

how do i hide my internal ip then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truman
I think u guys (except phil who didn't mention hiding IP) have the wrong idea. Here's the truth and facts.

There r in fact 2 IPs in question. Your internal one for your internal LAN, i.e. if you are using NAT, router etc, most likely be 192.168.x.x. And the 2nd one is the one that is assigned to you by the ISP, which is seen by the internet.

Now, I think you guys are all talking about the ISP assigned one right?
Well, this cannot be hidden, since it's what is required for the ISP to send you back any requests, i.e. webpages, VPN, etc. Unless of course you'd rather just send out only and don't want to receive anything, then you may be able to spoof your IP.

The only way to sort of hide what you are doing is not by installing a proxy server software on your machine, but rather you being able to use someone elses real external remote proxy server anonymously, i.e. encrypted like SSL, SHTML, VPN, etc, or else data (including web addresses) will just be visible.

The idea is this:
1. your PC will request (using your ISP assigned IP, which isn't hidden at all) your ISP to communicate with the remote proxy server,
2. and it's the remote proxy server that will get you the requested (webpage, etc) for you and not your ISP. Job achieved.

Remember that all this data has to be relayed between your ISP in order to get to you, hence why you cannot hide your ISP assigned IP. But because the data was encrypted the ISP will not know where you have been, other than the knowledge that you went to the remote proxy server and transferred some encrypted data.

There is a caveat, if they wanted to, a community with higher order (CIA, FBI, etc) can check out the remote proxy server you are using to spy and trace you. There is nothing you can do since the remote proxy server will most likely have an owner.

Obviously, if you r talking about the internal IP, then yes that can be hidden. But what would this accomplish?

Old 24-08-2005   #9
CDFreaks Resident

No no. You are confused.

"IP BLOCKING" software only 'blocks' other machines from connecting to you. It does NOTHING to obscure your IP address, either internal or external in ANY WAY.

IP Blocking software simply has a big list of "known bad" IP's. IP's used by the **AA, government, spyware companies, etc.

It keeps those IP's from making a connection to your machine. Hence, if the MPAA can't connect to your machine at all, then they can't obtain any proof that you are sharing out a copy of "Must Love Dogs", the new feel-good chick flick of the summer.

Your ISP, on the other hand, could in theory (but doesn't bother to in practice) see every packet that leaves your machine. There is NO way around that.

If you use a secure proxy you can encrypt packets... FOR HTML WEB SURFING ONLY and your ISP will only see that you are requesting data from a proxy. However, this does NOTHING to hide your P2P activity. It ONLY works for web pages.

There is NO WAY to "hide" your IP address. Any program which claims to do so is simply lying to you. Period.
Old 24-08-2005   #10
CD Freaks Junior Member

When i say ip blocking software, i dont mean firewalls, i know firewalls dont obsecure the ip's it blocks others from accessing your machines but i was talking about ip hiding software like at www.v7soft.net and Jap.

I use Jap and Jap does obsecure my external ip to something else.

Old 24-08-2005   #11
Banned

You may want to try this.....
Hide IP Platinum

Concerned about Internet privacy? Want to hide your IP address?
Hide IP Platinum is the software you are looking for! Keeping your privacy is simple and easy: the only thing you need to do is open Hide IP Platinum. Hide IP Platinum will find the proxy server available to you and set it as your proxy server automatically. There is nothing need you to concern. Hide IP Platinum have done everything for you!

Key Features of Hide IP Platinum:

Protect you from any website that wants to monitor your reading interests and spy upon you through your unique IP address - your ID in the Internet

Avoid your personal information be used to send you spam and junk emails by many marketers and advertising agencies who having information about your interests and knowing your IP address as well as your email

Keeping your computer away from hacker attacks by hiding your IP address as well as information about your operation system

Ability to frequently change IP addresses increases privacy

Enable and disable Hide IP Platinum as your wish with a single click

Bypass the restrictions by some owners of Internet resources on users from certain countries or geographical regions

Post on bulletin boards without displaying your real IP address

Use with a web based mail service to send anonymous email

Great for monitoring your overseas search engine campaigns

Doesn't like oher services force you to pay a monthly fee for anonymous surfing. For a low one-time price, you can visit whatever web sites without anyone ever finding out
PC-GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005   #12

Of course they work. It's because they r doing exactly the same thing that I have described, i.e. they have setup their own remote proxy server that the software connects to. This does prevent other's (other than ISP) from seeing your external IP, but not from your ISP - the ISP always sees your real external IP. Further more, you r putting all trust on the company who is supplying the remote proxy server, i.e. they can see all that is happening if they want to. So what is the difference? Maybe, you want to visit sites which banned you or you don't want them to know who your ISP is. Then this helps.

But if you're talking about being untraceable, then not really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffacake2000
When i say ip blocking software, i dont mean firewalls, i know firewalls dont obsecure the ip's it blocks others from accessing your machines but i was talking about ip hiding software like at www.v7soft.net and Jap.

I use Jap and Jap does obsecure my external ip to something else.
Old 24-08-2005   #13
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Of course they work.
They only work for HTTP. Web pages. Not for ANYTHING ELSE.
Old 24-08-2005   #14
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
(except phil who didn't mention hiding IP)
did you read my previous post at all? as far as i know i mentioned it and was very detailed

Quote:
but rather you being able to use someone elses real external remote proxy server anonymously
thats preety much what i said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurm
They only work for HTTP. Web pages. Not for ANYTHING ELSE.
not true, proxies that supports ssl+ssl connect method may be used for other things but web pages bittorent,icq for example see this article
http://www21.ocn.ne.jp/~k-west/SSLan...nneling-03.txt
phil_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005   #15
CD Freaks Junior Member

how do i hide my internal ip then? (10.0.0.x) ?

Old 24-08-2005   #16

Quote:
how do i hide my internal ip then? (10.0.0.x) ?
It's already hidden by default, because this isn't even used by the internet and I assume you have no internet services that uses this IP outside of your LAN. The NAT or router you're using does just that, i.e. it allows you to have a local IP that is not seen outside.

You would only want to hide this from someone who is actually on the LAN. For example if say you were at work and there is an admin who is checking all your web address requests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil
did you read my previous post at all? as far as i know i mentioned it and was very detailed
I did, and I meant that I agree with your description but just wanted to make things clearer for other people.

@Gurm, I agree also that there r countries which may resist giving out info.
Old 24-08-2005   #17
CD Freaks Junior Member

OK, so let me just get it clear thru me, my ISP wont see where im going?

Old 24-08-2005   #18
CD Freaks Junior Member

IP hiding for p2p and torrent clients

There must be somewhere an IP hiding software or somthing for torrent clients, i just checked in Azeureus and while webpages are blocking my public ip with JAP Azeureus is showing my public IP to the world, Yikes!

Old 24-08-2005   #19
MyCE Resident

I assume there is a misunderstanding:

1. When talking about "hiding" an IP address, we did not mean that you "erase" it and surf like a hollow man. As dataflow always needs an addressee or it will get lost. Like letters in real life.
2. Usually users - because of security reasons - want to hide their IP address not from their ISP, but from the server with which they want to communicate. The idea of hiding your IP address from your ISP is a nonsense!
3. By "hiding" we meant "changing", i. e. showing not your real IP address. The method, process is banal and simple: you (sending a request) > anonymous proxy > target. Backflow: target (sending requested data) > anonymous proxy > you. It is evident that the "third" party, i.e. server with the data "sees" the anonymous proxy as a sender and as a receiver. In practice it means that - from the point of you of the request sender/receiver - there is ONLY one IP address, i.e. the anonymous proxy.

Conclusion: Taking into account the above mentioned IT IS possible to hide your IP address from the site you visit. It is another question that a user can be traced or not. It would require another thread to elaborate on this matter.

MOTTO:

PLEXTOR:
"King of Quality".
Old 24-08-2005   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex thyl
I assume there is a misunderstanding:

1. When talking about "hiding" an IP address, we did not mean that you "erase" it and surf like a hollow man. As dataflow always needs an addressee or it will get lost. Like letters in real life.
2. Usually users - because of security reasons - want to hide their IP address not from their ISP, but from the server with which they want to communicate. The idea of hiding your IP address from your ISP is a nonsense!
3. By "hiding" we meant "changing", i. e. showing not your real IP address. The method, process is banal and simple: you (sending a request) > anonymous proxy > target. Backflow: target (sending requested data) > anonymous proxy > you. It is evident that the "third" party, i.e. server with the data "sees" the anonymous proxy as a sender and as a receiver. In practice it means that - from the point of you of the request sender/receiver - there is ONLY one IP address, i.e. the anonymous proxy.

Conclusion: Taking into account the above mentioned IT IS possible to hide your IP address from the site you visit. It is another question that a user can be traced or not. It would require another thread to elaborate on this matter.
I agree. That is what I was trying to clear up.

Quote:
OK, so let me just get it clear thru me, my ISP wont see where im going?
Yes.
Old 24-08-2005   #21
MyCE Resident

jaffacake2000,

Please, have a look at this site, it provides some plausible answers: http://tools.rosinstrument.com/proxy/howto.htm

It is worth experimenting a little bit using Hide IP Platinum and the above site's services.

Good luck.

MOTTO:

PLEXTOR:
"King of Quality".
Old 25-08-2005   #22
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_
not true, proxies that supports ssl+ssl connect method may be used for other things but web pages bittorent,icq for example see this article
http://www21.ocn.ne.jp/~k-west/SSLan...nneling-03.txt
Only if those things support redirection to port 80, and often at a gigantic performance hit.
Old 25-08-2005   #23
CDFreaks Resident

Dear God, this is like trying to explain calculus to people who have only used calculators.

Umm...

Ok, let's back up here.

Your ISP knows ... everything, if they want to. If you go to a proxy server, your ISP knows that you're proxying, and that most likely you are doing something naughty. Do they care? Not really, no. As a general rule your ISP doesn't monitor your traffic at all. Don't give them reason to.
Old 25-08-2005   #24
CD Freaks Rookie

IP blocking software only blocks the guys known to be trying to connect for the purpose of seeing what you share. It also keeps you from downloading from same bad guys. However everyone on the network still knows you're there including the bad guys.

Your best bet.....get a computer and high speed line in the middle east in some non-extradition non-friendly country. Anything else and they can still get you.
Old 26-09-2005   #25
New on Forum

Hmm... What I see is spam of same stupid program that doesnt work & makes it hard 2 browse with it on, I just got done removing that pos software Ip hider platinum.. It keeps on taking me too some forin site & deny's my searches of anything I type in..

What I need is a proxy with a username & Pass so I can use it on my IE & irc chat also. So if anyone has a proxy that you can log into plz post thanks in advance . . .

Last edited by Dark^Phant0m; 26-09-2005 at 03:23. Reason: Typo
Dark^Phant0m is offline   Reply With Quote