Old 14-10-2006   #1
MyCE Resident

I need help getting rid of System Idle Process

Hello my brothers are cd freaks. You may have noticed I havent been around for a while. Well I was off doing other things now I'm back! Ok My PC kind of junky but definty no viruses what so ever. Ok I play Half-Life 2 a lot (G-Mod, CS:S, Sin episode 1, and Day of Defeat) Those all work fine, but I am exprincing lag on my own servers. Cause Hl2.exe takes up 02 of cpu. Well I cant run it if System Idle Process is taking up 98 precent of my cpu. I found a fix one day, delting the .NET user on my pc, I dont need it. IT removed it for about 2 days. Can any one help me.
- 6GB DDR3

My GFX Cards:
- Asus Radeon HD 7790 2GB (Crossfire with same card
)

Click Here To Join ClubCDfreaks
Id33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2006   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: I need help getting rid of System Idle Process

The System Idle process is an essential system process & basically just logs against it the unused CPU cycles. It is not consuming resources.

Quote from Wikipedia:-

In Windows NT-based operating systems, the System Idle Process is, essentially, a counter which measures how much idle capacity the CPU has at any given time. Although it is not actually a process, SIP runs in the background and constantly monitors processing bandwidth, occupied memory and the Windows virtual paging file. System users can find it in the Windows Task Manager, under "SYSTEM"; however, it cannot be terminated.
TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2006   #3
CD Freaks Member

Hi Id33k,

To turn off unneccessary services, you could;
Go to Start/Run/ type services.msc

this will bring up a list of applications; you can disable what you need to, trim down windows a bit for increased performance.

regards, katzz
katzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2006   #4
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC
The System Idle process is an essential system process & basically just logs against it the unused CPU cycles. It is not consuming resources.

Quote from Wikipedia:-

In Windows NT-based operating systems, the System Idle Process is, essentially, a counter which measures how much idle capacity the CPU has at any given time. Although it is not actually a process, SIP runs in the background and constantly monitors processing bandwidth, occupied memory and the Windows virtual paging file. System users can find it in the Windows Task Manager, under "SYSTEM"; however, it cannot be terminated.
Agreed with TimC...it does the same on my systems, and causes no harm.

If you're experiencing lag somewhere, then I'd look at what other services/apps you have running.

Wondered where you'd got to BTW, Id33k

How to delete your upper and lower filters : How to check/enable DMA by Womble

Click here to join MyCE.com and be part of our friendly community!

Smile...people will wonder what you're up to
Arachne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2006   #5
MyCE Resident

Well I know that System Idle Process is perfectly normal and means your system is running right, but other then that I noticed that items I have delted have been stickin around. I got rid of them.
1. Was AOL Messanger I disabled it with Scotty (Winpatrol), but it was sticking around for some reason.
2. IceChat was sticking around too. I delted IceChat about three months ago.

Everything is working for me know. Oh and Arachne it is great to see that some one cared

Best Whishes,
id33k
- 6GB DDR3

My GFX Cards:
- Asus Radeon HD 7790 2GB (Crossfire with same card
)

Click Here To Join ClubCDfreaks
Id33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010   #6

All the people who copied from wikipedia and agree to it , it is a theoretical statement that it causes no harm..

Sometimes, when you are doing something on the PC, the system idle starts working thinking the PC is idle (and i dont know what exaclty are the criteria and rules for triggering/stopping it) which causes the lag..

So, yes the system idle process CAN cause that problem... but it really should be temporary as in a couple of seconds it should realize you are trying to run some something and stop the system idle process ... if it doesnt try restarting the Pc?

The most likely things that the system idle is associated with are the system schedules, file indexing and such.. try turning them off if you dont really use them
rush001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010   #7
MyCE Resident

Hey Rush...maybe rushing into a really old discussion before checking it's out of date discussion is rather late... it's like 2006..more then 5 years old...next time when posting maybe checking the posting date would make it more revalent and up to date.
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010   #8

well, even if the discussion if out of date, my reply should be relevant to whoever might come to this page looking for an answer
Old 28-04-2010   #9
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush001 View Post
well, even if the discussion if out of date, my reply should be relevant to whoever might come to this page looking for an answer
Not really when the specs of the computer and software most likely has changed from that point since it was first asked. And since there was no specs or O/S listing from that time the reply can't really address the problem.
Old 28-04-2010   #10
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

@coolcolors and rush001 - I've removed your identical posts in the other thread dealing with this subject, as this is cross-posting.

I happen to agree that any info is worthwhile, no matter when it is posted, if it helps out anyone stumbling across the thread.

How to delete your upper and lower filters : How to check/enable DMA by Womble

Click here to join MyCE.com and be part of our friendly community!

Smile...people will wonder what you're up to
Arachne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcolors View Post
Not really when the specs of the computer and software most likely has changed from that point since it was first asked. And since there was no specs or O/S listing from that time the reply can't really address the problem.
You can go around asking people, and you'll find that the problem still haunts some user. No matter how much advanced technologies become, they always ALWAYS have flaws and some carried on from earlier times... this might be one of them

@Arachne haha thanks, i only double posted because coolcolors did so
Old 29-04-2010   #12
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush001 View Post
You can go around asking people, and you'll find that the problem still haunts some user. No matter how much advanced technologies become, they always ALWAYS have flaws and some carried on from earlier times... this might be one of them

@Arachne haha thanks, i only double posted because coolcolors did so
actually you double posting talking about the same discussion about the same topic as well prior....The discussion will help only when there are more specs and O/S information otherwise it's just that discussion without a solution.
Old 30-04-2010   #13

Let's not discuss about whose fault it was or whatnot. This is meant to be a 'System Idle Process' discussion. Lets stay on topic.

ok, here are a few facts about 'discussions about system idle process' :

a)It is not actually a physical process and probably it shows the CPU % UNUSED rather than actually eating up the resources.

b) Although it is not itself an actual process, it is responsible for triggering other heavily resource hogging processes like schedulers, auto defrager, indexing system and many more that i am quite not aware of.

c) Most people agree to the fact that system idle process is harmless and causes no resource hogging or whatsoever but thats because the problem occurs very very rarely and those people just happened to be lucky not to be affected.

For me, it usually sorts itself out IF i restart the PC. I think the process should stop whatever its doing when you start using some proggs, but for some reasons(prolly glitch or sthg?), it doesnt. that is what i think is going on when ppl get this problem.
Old 01-01-2012   #14

People keep saying System Idle Process does not cause lag but this is a lie. It causes gobs of lag on my PC all the time and it does not know when I'm on my computer. It runs when IT wants to. What causes it? Mostly I believe the Indexer. Strangely, Task Manager does not show the Indexer as running. Only SIP. But the worse lag always comes after I have downloaded MANY files. Then SIP goes nuts. Everyone says if you see SIP saying 95% then that means 95% of your PC is freeeeeeeee. Bull. NO OTHER PROGRAMS EXCEPT SYSTEM IDLE ARE RUNNING. NONE! NONE. NONE. JUST SIP. It has to be the lag and most likely something to do with indexing.

I agree it would hurt a PC not to have either SIP or indexing. I want that indexing. But don't tell me SIP doesn't lag a PC. Lies.
Jemcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #15
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemcrystal View Post
People keep saying System Idle Process does not cause lag but this is a lie. It causes gobs of lag on my PC all the time and it does not know when I'm on my computer. It runs when IT wants to. What causes it? Mostly I believe the Indexer. Strangely, Task Manager does not show the Indexer as running. Only SIP. But the worse lag always comes after I have downloaded MANY files. Then SIP goes nuts. Everyone says if you see SIP saying 95% then that means 95% of your PC is freeeeeeeee. Bull. NO OTHER PROGRAMS EXCEPT SYSTEM IDLE ARE RUNNING. NONE! NONE. NONE. JUST SIP. It has to be the lag and most likely something to do with indexing.

I agree it would hurt a PC not to have either SIP or indexing. I want that indexing. But don't tell me SIP doesn't lag a PC. Lies.
Being as this is 2012 and your posting no specifics as to the nature of your problem or any screen shot of the task manager make it even hard to know what your talking about without even knowing what referring to. So you going to have to be specific as to the O/S and what exactly is the problem your having. Also have you update your O/S if it is windows?? That would also be a good thing to check on and make sure all your program you loaded are compatible with the O/S your running before loading or installing it.
Old 03-01-2012   #16
MyCE Resident

Quote:

Darn forum scrubbers.

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012   #17
MyCE Resident

Quote:
What causes it? Mostly I believe the Indexer.
The system idle process is actually running the indexer?

Quote:
Strangely, Task Manager does not show the Indexer as running.
That is because it is a service and not a program

Quote:
Then SIP goes nuts
SIP is a mathemetical equasion. It is not even a process.