Old 22-03-2006   #1
MyCE Rookie

how to unlock recovery drive in hp notebook

there must be a way to make more then one copy of Hp recovery disc's Hp lets you make only one copy. I would like to make more then one copy rather then make a copy from a copy. They also have a drive d which is a recovery drive and is locked how do I unlock it . Notebook is HP DV 5000t
denmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: how to unlock recovery drive in hp notebook

The drive d is probably a partition with additional information for the notebook itself.

My recommendation is to leave it alone, since it can contain very important cmos/bios setup files.

If you want to get rid of it, just use partition magic to nuke the partition and resize your c drive. Your notebook operating system and/or bios/setup may fail if you do so.
Old 22-03-2006   #3
MyCE Rookie

I do not want to get rid of D drive just want to see what's in there. Maybe I can see how to make another recovery disc.
Old 22-03-2006   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Use Nero Back It Up and make a backup disc of drive "D"
wobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006   #5
CDFreaks Resident

Unfortunately they tend to hide or lock the recovery partition for one purpose alone and that is to stop people getting into it. Why would they want to do this? Simple the average PC users computer literacy is quite low as the price of PCs and broadband has dropped their sales have shot up and so they want to stop these users messing about there and possibly screwing the whole thing up.

They only alow one disc to be made for purposes of making sure it isn't used elsewhere, though it shouldn't be possible to do so. If you loose the recovery DVD or CDs you make you can use the harddrive as the recovery disc. It is usually one of the "F" keys that do it. For example on my PC if I loose the recovery disc and I need to re-format and re-install I press F10 when I turn it on.
JayC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006   #6
MyCE Rookie

The recovery D drive has a yellow lock on it and really cannot excess any files.If I wanted to delete it, I do not see how I could. I go into explore and cannot seem to see how I can get into Drive D.
Old 23-03-2006   #7
MyCE Resident

hp's recovery partition is an annoying waste of space if you ask me. whatever happened to giving you a recovery disc and a copy of the OS?

what happens if your drive is totally fried...what good does information hidden away in that partition do you?

better yet (this happened to me) what happens when you want to upgrade your harddrive, but don't have an OS disc to install windows onto the newer, bigger hard drive? I called HP and asked them that, and they said "keep the factory installed drive as your system drive and installed the new drive as slave"

so now their stupid recovery partition is stealing 5GB of space on my hard drive and they're dictating how to configure my setup.

sorry, i had to vent. they make me very angry. i finally dled and burned a copy of windows (not cracked!) and used the windows serial that i found on a sticker on the back of my tower (i'm surprised they managed to remember to include that important bit of info!) and i threw out the hard drive that came with the damn computer. My life is a lot better now
reasonsnotrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006   #8
CDFreaks Resident

If they have locked it you don't.
Old 23-03-2006   #9
MyCE Rookie

In my case I Have a notebook and to replace the driive I have to use the same space as the old drive. On the tower you can insert another hard drive and have two. My recovery partition takes up 8 GB of hard drive. Ever call HP tech Support, they have 12 call centers around the world and i always get India . there is a report out that the India center is in a tent with a group of tables and a bunch of people taking your support calls on a dirt floor. Outsourcing at it's best.
Old 23-03-2006   #10
Senior Moderator

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by reasonsnotrules
hp's recovery partition is an annoying waste of space if you ask me. whatever happened to giving you a recovery disc and a copy of the OS?

what happens if your drive is totally fried...what good does information hidden away in that partition do you?
Preinstalling the OS and putting some backup mechanism on a hidden partition of the HDD is the cheapest license, a PC manufacturer can buy from MS. We've read already, that the user can create one set of recovery CD or DVD. Great, if cheap media was used
I remember, 10 years ago, there was a german PC manufacturer, who also sold their systems with windows preinstalled. Also, there was a recovery software installed, that allowed to create one set of floppy discs. Great experience if disc #39 of 50 was bad

Quote:
better yet (this happened to me) what happens when you want to upgrade your harddrive, but don't have an OS disc to install windows onto the newer, bigger hard drive? I called HP and asked them that, and they said "keep the factory installed drive as your system drive and installed the new drive as slave"
I have surfed HP website a couple of weeks ago, and I found some instructions concerning that issue. Also a set of recovery media was offered to buy, but I didn't remember the price.

So, I won't buy any brand computer, that comes with Windows preinstalled.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2006   #11
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciahel
I have surfed HP website a couple of weeks ago, and I found some instructions concerning that issue. Also a set of recovery media was offered to buy, but I didn't remember the price.

So, I won't buy any brand computer, that comes with Windows preinstalled.

Michael

actually one of my options was to have a "free" catalog (but I pay shipping) sent to me from which i can order a set of recovery discs

WTF?!

I've never been that enraged about a support issue.

my computer was built in 2001 at the factory and at that point i think they were still only doing floppy backups (if i recall correctly that was my only option) and I had long since removed my floppy drive from my computer for better air circulation and easier access and less crowding when i had to fool around inside and whatnot.

just thinking about it gets me all worked up again. GRRRRR haha.
reasonsnotrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2006   #12
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by reasonsnotrules
my computer was built in 2001 at the factory and at that point i think they were still only doing floppy backups (if i recall correctly that was my only option) and I had long since removed my floppy drive from my computer for better air circulation and easier access and less crowding when i had to fool around inside and whatnot.
Hey, what's wrong with receiving the message:

"Please insert disk number 234 of 2048 to continue with your reinstallation"

<---- Ducks
brokenbuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2006   #13
CD Freaks Member

i hate to say it but i agree with reason. the hd on a new comp is for us as the new owner to decide what to do with it & what i put on it.I've delt with many,many preconfigued laptops.IBMs i just usually use the recovery process(f11) but for the most part i just reinstall the origional os and but done with it. my main concern is supporting MS,yuk!!! at this point i bet you i could find atleast 10 versions of xp in my drawer right now,let alone 2000 & 98. messed around with some tiger & osx but dont realy have the time to get to deep into it. hp has some nice machines(especially the newer ones) so i will tell you from experience to just refomat the silly thing & do as you wish, just rember to visit the hp site before you do & dl all the drivers before you do & burn them to a disk beforehand!! goodluck
satelight7430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2006   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmick
The recovery D drive has a yellow lock on it and really cannot excess any files.If I wanted to delete it, I do not see how I could. I go into explore and cannot seem to see how I can get into Drive D.
I have a new Compaq that we bought for our daughter and it's is different. Drive "D" shows up in "My Computer" The same as drive "C". I was able to back it up to a DVD, but never tried to open it. I'm sorry yours is different.
wobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2006   #15
bkf
Banned

I wrote something here yesterday and it seems to have vanashed. So My question was how is HP keeping you from making more then one copy. The disc was not physically altered so it must be tracked in the notebook. Find another system and ill bet you can make dupes of you install disc all day long. Create an iso of the disc is a good idea.

any protected discs require either a program or process either pre installed or loaded by the disc at insert time assumeing you have autorun turned on.
bkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2006   #16
MyCE Senior Member

Make a hdd image on dvd as backup, then blast away!
petremure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2006   #17
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkf
I wrote something here yesterday and it seems to have vanashed. So My question was how is HP keeping you from making more then one copy. The disc was not physically altered so it must be tracked in the notebook. Find another system and ill bet you can make dupes of you install disc all day long. Create an iso of the disc is a good idea.

any protected discs require either a program or process either pre installed or loaded by the disc at insert time assumeing you have autorun turned on.
I can't comment on IBM, but with my PC the only way to make a recovery disc from the recover partition is to use the software that came with the PC. No other software can detect the partition, and so once burnt the softwware knows it has made a copy and prevents you from burning another from the partition.

As to whether you could clone the disc that has been made is a good point. The poster, as I am readin it, is talking about making one the same way he/she made the first copy by burning from the recovery partition.
Old 24-03-2006   #18
MyCE Rookie

I have made a copy from a copy using nero I was just wondering if i could somehow disable you have made your one copy . I would also like to get into the locked partition D drive
Old 09-06-2006   #19
New on Forum

I found a way to view files listed in the D recovery partition. Can someone please tell me how to reset the file that limits my ability to make copies of recovery cds? my problem is that my first set got screwed at disc 9 and 10 and its not letting me burn then no matter how many times I tried.

to view files in D partition ( usually shows a yellow lock icon) ...
download winrar archiver.(www.win-rar.com) I used version 3.51
install and open the winrar program
then select view files, and select the D drive which is the recovery partition drive for my compaq laptop... open which ever file you want by double clicking.
I made an archive of this partition for my records although I doubt if it will be useful in case I copy these contents to a new hard drive on a new computer.

your help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,.,...josh
josh_2787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #20
CDFreaks Resident

For that you would have to contact your PC manufacturer. You don't need a recovery disc though as everything can be done via the partition itself.
Old 09-06-2006   #21
Former Moderator

to be safe and cover your @ss I would make a backup of the HDD via Ghost or Acronis (preferrably Acronis).

The drive D will revert the PC in an event of a recovery back to factory standard and all will be as it was when you first bought your PC. You will lose all of your settings, added applications, and all personal files/folders and other misc things like your current saved Internet Bookmarks.

Whilst the D: drive backup\restore options is nice, a backup is a most sensible overall approach IMO.
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz running Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Corsair H50 Hydro Cooler CWCH50
Intel BOXDZ77GA70K LGA 1155 Intel Z77 motherboard
Corsair DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB)
ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5
SAMSUNG 840 Pro 512GB Series MZ-7PD512BW
WD Caviar Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
WD Caviar Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Pioneer BD-RW BDR-206D
when needed...
Lite-On LTR-52246S 6S0F (via USB 2.0 to IDE)
Lite-On JLMS XJ-HD166S DS1C (via USB 2.0 to IDE)
NEC 3500AG 2.TC Quiet (via USB 2.0 to IDE)
Lite-On SOHW 1673S JS07 (via USB 2.0 to IDE)

Found a Solution here helpful? Like the forum's?
Well then, what are you waiting for JOIN NOW!!!
xtacydima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #22
CDFreaks Resident

It depends on which option you run, repaitr, just goes through replacing any corrupted windows files with the original ones with out touching the data, or fresh install which will wipe everything. This would happen with any fresh re-install anyway.
Old 09-06-2006   #23
MyCE Resident

i made sure when i was looking for a PC that they supplied a FULL copy of windows, they also had another partition on the HDD, which they said i could delete it if i wanted to when i'm away to reinstall windows, which i did

Bj

click HERE to join cdfreaks
Bjproc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006   #24
New on Forum

i recently bought a hp presario which has this great lock on the partition and it would not even let me create a disk set i found several others with the same sorts of issues with hps xp install the best answer i found was to phone hp support and tell them this explain my error message (no valid boot image in recovery partion) they sent me new cds with all drivers next i did as suggested on this thread and backed up drive d with nero followed by nlite to make my own install (nlite is awsome you can remove all the crap from your install no norton special offers weatherbug etc..) and finally i used partion magic i have two sets of disks 1 factory 1 mine and a recovery that is small 2.9g
maybechriscrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2006   #25
New on Forum

Re: how to unlock recovery drive in hp notebook - HERE'S HOW

I was able to unlock the HP recovery partition using one of my favorite tools called 'febooti file tweak' and changing all the attributes on the directories and their contents to none. Then I saved the whole thing to one huge ISO. Not much in there is usable for the average user, but you can access most (or all) of the drivers. I then reset the attributes to 'hidden' and 'system' and was able to run the normal HP recovery process with no hiccups.

Hope this helps someone
starwilson is offline   Reply With Quote